Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Cylinder #3 Ignition Coil burning hot even with car not running.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cylinder #3 Ignition Coil burning hot even with car not running.

I ran into an issue with my 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X GSR yesterday. The car was having a bad misfire on cylinder #3 and had to limp the car home. I went and checked all of the spark plugs and everything checked out okay but when grabbing the coil pack from cylinder 3 it was burning hot. Cylinders 1, 2, and 4 were all capable of being pulled out without burning my hand. I checked the car this morning and grabbed a new ignition coil and placed it in the car and with just the ignition being on I heard a crack and instantly turned off the power to the car (pictures attached of ignition coil). I looked at the wiring for the cylinder 3 and everything checked out to be okay. Im stuck and have no idea what else to try. If someone could possibly help out that would be amazing. Thank you!

Old Jan 12, 2022, 01:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Looks like you need a new ignition coil. I would start there and see waht happens. If everything checks out like you said I mean it makes since right?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 02:31 PM

I just placed a new ignition coil into the cylinder and even with the new coil it was heating up and getting hot. Could it possibly be an issue with wiring or something?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 02:39 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It could be a ground fault on the signal wire. Is the car throwing any diagnostic trouble codes? Have you inspected your wiring harness for damage?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok after I posted what I said I feel kinda stupid. The coil is getting hot not what is in the cylinder. As biggie said maybe a fault or something like that or maybe a power wire getting to much power to that coil.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 03:01 PM

You're all good haha. It's the 3rd cylinder and it has to be getting to much power to it and I have no Idea how that would happen.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

I would take a meter to it and check voltage to the first coil and then to that one and try to trace it back to where your getting the same voltage and go from there. Maybe you tapped something into the the circuit that goes to that coil. Tough to say
Old Jan 12, 2022, 05:54 PM

Checked out all the grounds on the car and everything came out good. Still confused on why the Ignition coil is heating up and getting hot to the touch? Talked to my tuner and he has np clue but we will be trying to figure out the issue as well. If there is any other suggestions that would be great help. Thank you.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Did you replace the plug on that Cylinder? Even if it looked ok, if it has really high resistance it might cause coil overheating.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 04:23 PM

Checked all the grounds to the car and there is still too much power getting thrown at the 3rd cylinder. Confused on whats happening still.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 07:03 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
A ground fault is when a circuit is shorted to ground where it shouldn't be. Think sticking a fork in a wall socket. You have just become a ground fault.

The way the ECU triggers the coil to activate is by sending it a momentary ground signal. This is called active low. If there is a ground fault on the signal wire of the coil (or in the ecu etc), it could cause the coil to be stuck trying to fire. I'm sure there are a million videos on youtube on how to use a test light or a meter to find ground faults, so I'd recommend you look there for instruction. I don't know what's wrong with your car, but this is one of the first things I would be checking for.