Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Transmission Fluid Change.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by untuned
I'm using motul gear FF 75w140 I track my car a few times a month and it seems to be holding up good, no grinds or anything.
Holy Constipation Batman ! Why on earth would you use such a high Viscosity fluid ???

Doc
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:05 PM

Finally had the time to drain out my mt90 oil today!

No more notchy and stupid gear changes now when the gearbox is cold
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gizzmo
Finally had the time to drain out my mt90 oil today!

No more notchy and stupid gear changes now when the gearbox is cold
Huh? I though mt90 helped....did you drain the oem fluid and put mt90 in or vice versa?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 03:49 PM

I hade mt90 in the gearbox but didnt like, to stiff and notchy when the car is cold.

Changed back to Quadrolube, really good now cold.

Do never use straight mt90 in your evo you gonna have very notchy gearbox when the car is cold with that oil.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 03:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MT90 works perfectly fine in the Southeast USA and probably most of the country.

It might just be your climate in Sweden.

Do you have an Evo X?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 03:54 PM

I use the GM Synchromesh, as it seems to be a GL-3 rated fluid (something the manual specifies). Works great.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
I use the GM Synchromesh, as it seems to be a GL-3 rated fluid (something the manual specifies). Works great.
GL-3 is an antiquated rating that is no longer used. Mits Spec'd that as they know almost no-one will advertise that rating.. so people come back to them..

No different than Hyundai with their spec of SG oil... mid 90's rating on oil that is listed by few oil manufacturers except for MotorCycle oils..

Doc
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:11 PM

^^Outdated as it may be, it is what the manual specifies. Curiouser is the fact that the factory specifications for the tranny fluid have changed from the Evo VIII and IX to the X. Why would Mitsu do this?

And I am not knocking you Oil Doc, since I love the knowledge you put forth in this forum. I just want to know what will be safe for the tranny and still perform well.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
^^Outdated as it may be, it is what the manual specifies. Curiouser is the fact that the factory specifications for the tranny fluid have changed from the Evo VIII and IX to the X. Why would Mitsu do this?

And I am not knocking you Oil Doc, since I love the knowledge you put forth in this forum. I just want to know what will be safe for the tranny and still perform well.
Again, they want to keep you coing back to them. The transmissions in question require a GL-4 rating due to Brass/Bronze/Copper components. GL-3 is superceded by GL-5, but GL-5 does not automatically supercede GL-4 although some GL-5's do, such as in the case of AMSOIL Product SVG which meets GL-1 through GL-5.

GL-4 was all out on it's own for many years for the above reasons (B,B & C) and then new, higher quality lubes were needed as machinery became more advanced. A GL-3 wouldn't have a glimmer of a chance in one of todays differentials, especially in small high performance vehicles where the ring and pinion are under much higher stress than a class 8 (Semi) truck.

So, if a fluid carries a GL-4 and a GL-5 Rating, it will meet the requirements for the Mits. as a GL-5 is also GL-1,2 and 3 ...

Doc
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:59 AM

ot question:

Had my evo 5 for ayc oil change today at Mitsubishi where i live, they also changed the oil in the rear diff, for some reason i didnt had told them that..

But they put in fully syntethic 75w80 in the rear diff, is that bad? shouldnt it be 75w85 or 75w90 there?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know what's in the 5 rear, but most rear's use SAE 90 I think.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gizzmo
ot question:

Had my evo 5 for ayc oil change today at Mitsubishi where i live, they also changed the oil in the rear diff, for some reason i didnt had told them that..

But they put in fully syntethic 75w80 in the rear diff, is that bad? shouldnt it be 75w85 or 75w90 there?

Factory Lubes are all Synthetic in the EVO... 90 weight, whether 75W-90 or 80W-90, the 90 is the important #, is the recommended lube for the diff. It does make a difference..

Doc
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:35 AM

Via the service manual:

Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Keepster13
Via the service manual:

1st.... I am pretty sure what you posted is for an X as it is the only one calling for a Morphedite Fluid

2nd... That is for the tranny .. The Rear Diff takes a Different Fluid which is a GL-5

The GL-3 Rating is an antiquated rating and is superceded.. In this case, by a GL-4 which is used in the transmission due to the use of Brass/Bronze or Copper.

For an X, the AMSOIL MTF if the correct fluid if the car is Strictly a Daily Driver that is not Driven hard.

If the car is Driven Hard, Modified with Increased HP and/or Torgue or Tracked, the MTG should be used.

Doc
Old Aug 26, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

I'm in the northeast and already this morning the cold overnights are making the first 10 minutes of shifting just painful. I have to force first and all the rest are notchy. It's definetly related to the temps and not a mechanical issue as it's fine after about 10 minutes of driving and is fine if the car is sitting in the sun.

It's ok for now, but come winter i won't be able to dirve the car without letting it warm up for 15 minutes. What transmission oil would you suggest for us cold weather guys?

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change.