Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Transmission Fluid Change.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid Change.

Who has done one on there X?
How much fluid do you need?
What did you use for replacement fluid?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:02 AM

I've done it. It was really easy. I went with AMSoil. I forgot the amount but The Doc knows and it tells you in the book. I suggest ordering a fluid pump it was the saving grace. The bolt is by the driver side wheel. It's simple.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Just attach a hose to a funnel and position it in the engine bay. No pump needed.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

I got Redline MTF, letting the car cool down a wee bit. I ran her hard.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Redline MT90, no more grinding.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Redline MT90, no more grinding.
I was looking at the MTL and MT90 on the shelves and for the life of me I couldnt recall which one everyone was going with.

Looks like I made the wrong decision... Should I flush it out and put in the MT90?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Keepster13
I've done it. It was really easy. I went with AMSoil. I forgot the amount but The Doc knows and it tells you in the book. I suggest ordering a fluid pump it was the saving grace. The bolt is by the driver side wheel. It's simple.
Thanks !!

3 qts is enough to do the transmission. I always goe with the AMSOIL MTG for the EVO.

And yes, for $9.95, that pump makes the job very easy, and it screws right on top of the AMSOIL Qts, Half Gallon, Gallon and even the 2.5 gallon jugs, then you have the pump for when you are ready to do the TC and Diff as well.

Doc
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Thanks !!

3 qts is enough to do the transmission. I always goe with the AMSOIL MTG for the EVO.

And yes, for $9.95, that pump makes the job very easy, and it screws right on top of the AMSOIL Qts, Half Gallon, Gallon and even the 2.5 gallon jugs, then you have the pump for when you are ready to do the TC and Diff as well.

Doc
I use MTG in my trans as well! What do you suggest we use for the Tcase and Diff in our X's?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
I use MTG in my trans as well! What do you suggest we use for the Tcase and Diff in our X's?

Can't beat the AMSOIL MTG in the tranny !!! Have had great responses from people.

SVG is the Top of The Line Fluid for the TC and Diff.. 2 qts will cover both..

Thanks, Doc
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

I swapped the tranny out to Redline MTL (and like so far) and I'm running the 75w90 redline in the diffs-I;ve really liked that so far.
Plus, the package deal from Redline cant be beat (imho)-
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
I swapped the tranny out to Redline MTL (and like so far) and I'm running the 75w90 redline in the diffs-I;ve really liked that so far.
I hope whatever you're running in the diff's is a GL5 hypoid gear oil. The only thing I would use in the transfer case would be the stock fluid or Redline Heavy Shockproof.

For the tranny, directly from Redline themselves, they suggested running two quarts of MTL and one quart of MT90. That brings it close to the 75W80 the manual suggests.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Thanks !!

Doc
I cant seem to find any Amsoil MTG in this crazy city, everywhere I go I see Amsoil, but no MTG
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
You may want to re-think that.. http://bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf

Originally Posted by Thegame
I hope whatever you're running in the diff's is a GL5 hypoid gear oil. The only thing I would use in the transfer case would be the stock fluid or Redline Heavy Shockproof.

AMSOIL SVG is unbeatable ... Shockproof is not recommended... It is a petroleum based product and has shown to have paraffin buildup.

For the tranny, directly from Redline themselves, they suggested running two quarts of MTL and one quart of MT90. That brings it close to the 75W80 the manual suggests.
I would say that I don't believe they actually said that, but a friend of mine has met with the owner... LOL... Anyhow... why not just run the recommended fluids..

If you are a Daily Driver and do not abuse the car at all, AMSOIL MTF is the correct fluid (meets or Exceeds OEM Specs)... If you run the car hard (99.9 % of EVO Owners) AMSOIL MTG is the fluid of choice.

Doc
Old Aug 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, so it foams a little....and it breaks down faster.....and it clumps.
I'll change it this weekend....thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Talon_66
Who has done one on there X?
How much fluid do you need?
What did you use for replacement fluid?
I'm using motul gear FF 75w140 I track my car a few times a month and it seems to be holding up good, no grinds or anything.

I made a fluid bomb pump out of a washer bottle works great. will post some pics later.. lol

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change.