Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

AMS EVO X O2 Eliminator 3.0" Downpipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after reading your post i need to get more tools...good write up, detailed pictures
Old Apr 4, 2009, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

you haven't even gotten to the fun bolt yet... are you in for a treat or what!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

dude you gota be really buff to be snapping bolts like that! anyways how did you get the remaining bolts out after you snapped them?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PlayinWithFire
you haven't even gotten to the fun bolt yet... are you in for a treat or what!
Yup... plus he has to get that O2 housing side heatshield off to get to the lower bolts...what fun~! .... and I'll never do these again!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a good thing I read all these threads about installing O2/downpipes before I attempted the installation myself. Definitely letting the shop take care of this one.

Great write-up though. Awesome how you took the time to take pics and write up the steps while attempting this PITA of an install.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone called AMS yet to find out what they're charging for installing this?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by macPSU
It's a good thing I read all these threads about installing O2/downpipes before I attempted the installation myself. Definitely letting the shop take care of this one.

Great write-up though. Awesome how you took the time to take pics and write up the steps while attempting this PITA of an install.
+1, good write-up. i took a peek down there once; it looks easy, but i can see why it's a real pain without the proper tools. having the right tools is very important in the back where room is limited. perhaps you could start a list of what tools you recommend to have on hand?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 05:09 AM

Didn't this thing come with installation instructions? That would suck if all you get is the parts and no instructions.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

it is a really straight forward install... the issue is that the bolts are in really bad locations for just removing the o2 housing. Once you get the housing off, the install is a piece of cake: 5 bolts on the housing, 2 to the test pipe and bam your done.

Tools that I recommend you have handy:
1/2 drive impact gun
impact gun swivel bits
HUGE assortment of extension bars
ratcheting wrenches
a lot of beer for the after party
Old Apr 5, 2009, 08:51 AM

Me and a couple of buddies did this install yesterday, and let me tell you...it is a bear to say the least. A couple "musts" I came across...lift, lots of wrenches, extensions, and cheater bars, patience, a couple awesome buddies willing to help you out. Good luck!

BTW...great part by AMS...car feels stronger than ever!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by bryanole27
...it is a bear to say the least.
Echo that. I'm about 90% done. The old housing was really tough. Some of the bolts and nuts I handled like a dentist, mirror in one hand, wrench in the other. The new one was much easier. Just have one more bolt to do (the one which I took off through the right front wheel opening), the heat shields and the mating to the CAT pipe. Luckily all the bolts and nuts came off without breaking or stripping. Doing the whole thing solo and on jack-stands.

Last edited by lowkey; Apr 5, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by lowkey
Echo that. I'm about 90% done. The old housing was really tough. Some of the bolts and nuts I handled like a dentist, mirror in one hand, wrench in the other. The new one was much easier. Just have one more bolt to do (the one which I took off through the right front wheel opening), the heat shields and the mating to the CAT pipe. Luckily all the bolts and nuts came off without breaking or stripping. Doing the whole thing solo and on jack-stands.
Did you use penetrating oil before you removed the OEM nuts and/or bolts? I'm guessing that's how you got them all off without breaking any.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

I used penetrating oil and had no issues taking any of the bolts off. Came off like butter. The hard one to get off I used a stubby racheting wrench by snap on and then pried on it against the turbine housing with a pry bar to break it loose. Took but a minute.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by simons
Did you use penetrating oil before you removed the OEM nuts and/or bolts? I'm guessing that's how you got them all off without breaking any.
I did. Sprayed every bolt and nut I could see and then some more when some of the heatshields came off. I also made sure the wrenches and sockets had a solid, straight grip on the heads before I applied force.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by lowkey
Mad props for that.

Let me ask you guys a question though...

There were a number of small "brackets" or "heat shields" I had to remove near where the downpipe mated with my exhaust. They didn't really seem to be doing a whole lot, so I didn't put them back because we were running short on time. Any idea what they are for and if I need to put them back?

Quick Reply: AMS EVO X O2 Eliminator 3.0" Downpipe Installation