Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Problem With Hks Ssqv Bov!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO is a forum acronym, CEL is a car acronym, used in product descriptions, manuals and things as such
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorX
Maybee he just didn't know the STUPID acronyms that people use on forums... took me like 5 minutes to figure out what IMHO ment.
Thank you, I'm actually pretty good with cars and know alot, but I dont know many acronyms

Last edited by mrdeluxe86; Apr 5, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:29 PM

The "cel" turned off and my car is now running well thanks
Old Apr 6, 2009, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

I'm curious what you did to alleviate the problem. Could you enlighten us with what resolved your issue?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Yes plz share ur solution with us
Old Apr 6, 2009, 07:31 PM

i did knowing the problem fixed itself lol
Old May 9, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to be honest---tbh, id take the car to the dealership or autozone and still get the car read. you may have something more going on in there. i know it may be running fine but its hard to say.
Old May 10, 2009, 01:49 AM

the reason that you car was doing that is because when you are crusing down the highway in a high gear like 4th or 5th and you either start to go up an incline in the road or you just start to increase in speed a bit the car is going to start to boost a little bit more and what that is is part throttle boost. The Bov is going to start to leak a bit under such a load and trust me i have had two different HKS's on my car a greddy type S and RS also ad a Turbo XS on there and they all would create alot of turbulence in the intake when they would start to leak, almost sounding like compressor surge. When that would happen the car would go into a Limp mode and would then bounce off of idle up to about 2200 rpm until I shut the car off for about 20-30 seconds. After all of that going on I would hop into he car and away I would go, like nothing ever happened.

I also like the sound of an aftermarket BOV but all the problems that it was causing for my car among other things that are going on with it, was just one more thing hat was sorted out with it. Unfortunately it seems that by putting the sock BOV on that it does not close fast enough or something, even my 1/4 mile times show it But hey it could have been just a fluke bad driver day ya never know, and maybe all the noise was tricking my mind and making it feel a bit different or something lol I dunno.
Old May 10, 2009, 01:52 AM

by the way I forgot to mention that just because your problem is gone right now doesnt mean anything. I am willing to bet that it will be back in a couple of days or so because every time that I would change BOV's to try a different type and I would reset the computer then the car would run fine for about a day or two then would start to wack out again.
Old May 16, 2009, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, Ksig knows what he's talking about. I have the forge bov which is in my opinion the best, it fully recirulates and still gives a little noise. When I'm in cruise contrl, in a high gear my check engine light will come on and may be two days later go off. Also at partial throttle it will make a flutter sound, which i believe it the boost leaking from it. This bov however, did come with three springs which my installer told me to to switch to as I develop more mods. I've been thinking of going back to the stock bov though, because my dyno numbers haven't been as impressive as I would like them to be with the amount of mods I have and I have a feeling the bov is some what of a culprit
Old Jun 11, 2009, 02:54 AM

get it if stock or before you tune. DEFINATELY NOT AFTER! i did this and went into limp mode every 15 min i drove. GAYY
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:52 AM

I was having the same problem as you were. HKS just came out with a recirculation kit for the HKS SSQ BOV which you can purchase at lancershop.com for like 50 bucks. After I installed it, all those problems went away.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Young HigH
i have the HKS BOV and i never had any CEL or my car shut off or idle problems. NO tune just bolt-ons. reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery for like 5 minutes and see what happens.
hey i have an ap stage 1 with cobb sf intake, im thinking about getting the hks ssqv kit. the one im looking at is a vehicle specific one just for the evo x. and comes with a Triple Fin Sound insert and Recirculation insert. so technically i should be ok with the recirculation insert installed. right??

gracias amigos
Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll be just fine with the SSQV, regardless if it's recirculated or VTA. I've been running my SSQV VTA for almost a year, and now with the AccessPort AMS stage 2 map. Still works just fine.

Everyone's so quick to jump on the fact that VTA BOVs create all kinds of problems, when they really don't. A lot of times it's something else or the driving style that creates the problem.

I also find it funny how people keep saying that the SSQV leaks, since it's impossible for it to leak. Boost pressure is what holds it closed.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Jul 17, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
You'll be just fine with the SSQV, regardless if it's recirculated or VTA. I've been running my SSQV VTA for almost a year, and now with the AccessPort AMS stage 2 map. Still works just fine.

Everyone's so quick to jump on the fact that VTA BOVs create all kinds of problems, when they really don't. A lot of times it's something else or the driving style that creates the problem.

I also find it funny how people keep saying that the SSQV leaks, since it's impossible for it to leak. Boost pressure is what holds it closed.
with all my respect to your personal experince, it seems you are not running high boost. if you go above 22 psi, the problem becomes worse.

definatiley there is a problem not only with SSQT but with almost all VTA BOV.
i experinced it with 3 cars and tried to solve it with tunning the Airflow checks tables and torque limiter tables with no solution!

the problem is when you drive at partial throttle specially at high gears 4th & 5th, where any BOV will leak partially some of the boost.

i tried the new found Airflow check disable using ECUflash, but the car gave a CEL P1241.

Quick Reply: Problem With Hks Ssqv Bov!