Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HKS Turbo Type 1 Speed wire

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Turbo Type 1 Speed wire

I just installed my HKS turbo, I used various forums to install, which were very helpfull! HOWEVER, everything is working except the speed. I Have the blue speed wire from the turbo timer connected to the white wire with blue stripe behind the radio harness. I have a base Rockford radio (no navigation) in my 08 Lance Evo. Is there another wire I can connect to or is this not possible because my Evo did not come with navigation? Please HELP!!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:39 PM

This is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!! I have now tried the brown wire with the white stripe (pin 72 on 48 pin connector on ECU) and the yellow wire with the green stripe (pin 80 on the 48 pin connector on ECU). Someone out there had to wire this correctly please help if you can!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:51 PM

evozx its white wire with blue stripe in connector behind your stereo (there you have 2 same wires located in different sides, try another one) (worked for me)
but i'm still having issues with rpm, sometimes working sometimes not. (pin 4 ECU)

Last edited by +Unique+; Feb 28, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:36 PM

Ok, thanks will check tomorow I even tried pin 20 from the gauge cluster connector which is labeled as VSS out but no luck. I hope this works and it's just a stupid oversight!!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:26 AM

duuuude where did u find the threads to install hks type 1 turbo timer? i tried searching epic fail. maybe i just suck at searching.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 02:18 PM

Ok so I have come to a conclusion after contacting tech support at HKS. After days of tapping and research I can say that it will not work! Apparently the CAN BUS system in my car is the reason. The wire is correct (white with blue stripe) BUT HKS informed me that some models (specifically the Asian models) work fine. Basically some cars depending on year and model work and others don't. They also stated that the signal comming off the wire is not strong enough. In my case I case measure my speed signal with my multimeter in millivolts (A/C) apparently that's not enough to register with the turbo timer! Hope this helps some people out ther as fustrated as I was!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is the wire that I conected to and I get a signal. The problem I am having is that the speed that is displayed on the timer jumps 15mph+or- the actual speed. Still working on the RPM wire. Maybe I can use an injector for that.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:34 AM

You can adjust the speed in accordance with the turbo timer by holding down button when on the speed setting. Push left to 30 mph then push the center button the 30 mph will blink. Drive as close to 30 mph as possible the push the center button again. That's it!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:43 AM

Question

oups down here

Last edited by andrealltrac; Mar 3, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:52 AM

Sorry for the late reply but I guest better late then never.

First time I have triyd this it did not work also, after a month I found the RPM wire and I got my avic-d3 nav system so I gave it a second try. This time I made shure I hade a good connection and it work, now there is 3 possibility
1: the good connection was all it needed
2: the nav created a load on the vss circuit and pull more amperage witch in turn created a stronger signal
3: if the factory does not make use of the vss it may be open circuit

Are you shure the connection is a good one and what kind of head unit are you using?
Anyone with this working could you post what head unit you got?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP, do you think you could send me the info you got off other sites? And maybe start up a how to yourself? I just got this turbo timer and I will try to do the install myself.

andrealltrac - what exact wire did you use to hook up to the turbo timer? Also, how do you even hook these up? Do you need a special tool or is it just plug in?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

*Repeat post*
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoxz
You can adjust the speed in accordance with the turbo timer by holding down button when on the speed setting. Push left to 30 mph then push the center button the 30 mph will blink. Drive as close to 30 mph as possible the push the center button again. That's it!
Oh cool. So it needs to be calibrated. Nice, I'll give it a try thanks you!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:14 AM

I beleive I did a how to on this on evoxforum its not the best but I am shure it can help I will find the link and posted here asap
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:59 AM

here is the link for more info
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o-timer-2.html

hope this help

Quick Reply: HKS Turbo Type 1 Speed wire