Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Megan Racing 3" Testpipe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Racing 3" Testpipe

Hi all...

I'm having an issue installing the Megan Racing 3" TestPipe for the Evo X. I have an AMS Downpipe connected to the testpipe, however when the MR testpipe meets up with the catback flange on the stock exhaust system there's a small gap. I used the supplied gasket and had to double-gasket it in for the gap to close (obviously less than ideal).

Is this due to some sort of manufacturing defect? If this is a common issue, are there any work arounds or fixes? I wasn't sure who or where to email this question. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for some community help folks! =)
Any help is much appreciated!

Old May 2, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

yes some perfect fit some don't but it works right i just install my test pipe last week
Old May 2, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Measure both and see if there's a difference.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tighten the bolts down more.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:17 AM

i have the megan racing test pipe. it doesnt fit all that good. with a single gasket for each end, it leaks bad on the rear. i went to larger 7/16" grade eight bolts to get the seal tighter without succes. the bolts that come with the pipe are low quality and can cause the flange to move as the bolts are tightened. I used washers on both ends of the bolt and a lock washer. this worked better. i am going to try a double gasket set up. i am up for suggestions or sources for thicker flange gaskets.
Old May 9, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by phyzfer
Hi all...

I'm having an issue installing the Megan Racing 3" TestPipe for the Evo X. I have an AMS Downpipe connected to the testpipe, however when the MR testpipe meets up with the catback flange on the stock exhaust system there's a small gap. I used the supplied gasket and had to double-gasket it in for the gap to close (obviously less than ideal).

Is this due to some sort of manufacturing defect? If this is a common issue, are there any work arounds or fixes? I wasn't sure who or where to email this question. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for some community help folks! =)
Any help is much appreciated!
the factory exhaust has some very forgiving dimensional tolerances. there should be at least a 1/4" to work with.

i was working on my exhaust last night; so i thought of some things. if you havent already tried them, they might be useful. remove the extra gasket, if you want. unbolt all of the factory hangers from the exhaust. spray silicone on the rubber hangers(this makes life easier). push the muffler as far forward as you can. tighten the exhaust. reconnect the factory hangers. i used a 1/2 drive ratchet handle to stretch the hangers enough to get the bolts in line.

when using megan racing exhaust parts, i recommend using larger grade 8 bolts than what comes with their parts. 12mm bolts are the largest you could use, 7/16 bolts are pretty good. the flange slots are punched out to a .472" (12mm) width. the diameter of the 12mm bolt is .455"-ish, the 7/16" .430"-ish. use hardened washers on both the bolt and nut side. this keeps the nuts and bolts from moving the flange out of alignment as they are tightened. you can also use lock washers if you want. the bolts from mr have shoulders that cause the flange to twist as they are tightened. they are also soft and can bend, get drawn into the flange slot or snap.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

so is the mr test pipe ok or is it just ****ty bolts??
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:50 PM

most of the pipes are ok. you want a $1,000 system, buy one. mr systems and similar priced ones have their quirks. ****ty bolts and gaskets are the quirks. the exhaust looks good and fit nice, just upgrade the bolts and gaskets.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 04:12 AM

Just installed my MR test pipe and catback yesterday, noticed the same problem. After pushing the muffler as far forward on the hangers as possible and tightening all bolts, the pipes had a nice tight fit.