Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Remove glove box rattle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did my glovebox today, it wasn't rattling but couldn't hurt to do some preventative padding and for $1.99 you can't go wrong! Jo-Ann's has it like the OP stated, just ask one of the nice ladies working there so you don't spend 2 hours searching the store for it. Make sure you've got good sharp scissors!

Last edited by pghdsm; Aug 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 03:24 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Just finished my glovebox a few minutes ago.. pretty easy job. Unfortunately, I mustn't have had very much noise coming from there.. if anything it quieted things down just enough to make my door rattle and buzzing even more apparent, lol.

Anyway, I think my only concern with this glovebox fix is the 2 felt pieces attached to the moving pegs (that move in and out with the glovebox handle).. since the felt isn't attached to a solid flat piece, down the road I can see them coming loose and catching on the box itself when working the handle. Shouldn't cause a problem or anything though.

Thanks again for the tutorial, 2 thumbs up!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

ok,
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:45 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lousEVOxmr
ok,
Care to elaborate??

Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:06 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I did the glove box JUST like lancerarmstrong did about 6 months ago. I used the exact same velvet! haha. But I also added it to the damper connection point as well. Got rid of my gigantic manual out of the box, and I haven't heard a noise out of it since. The back deck has been driving me crazy, so I'll do that one next to both of you!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worked great for me too!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Great write up. Thanks. I didn't do such a thorough job to fix mine. Just stuck a couple pieces of velcro (carpet side) on the stops on the inside of the glovebox door. Haven't heard a peep in over a year.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:39 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I did the glove box JUST like lancerarmstrong did about 6 months ago. I used the exact same velvet! haha. But I also added it to the damper connection point as well. Got rid of my gigantic manual out of the box, and I haven't heard a noise out of it since.
By damper connection, do you mean this part..

?? Thanks!

This weekend I just started getting a new rattle from the glovebox that wasn't even there before I added the other felt pieces, lol.

Plus, now that it's getting cold out again, I'm getting all kinds of neat new noises.. there's a weird knock outside near the front windshield that only happens occassionally. I'm thinking it's from crosswinds lifting up the wiper blades or something. And then there's a new buzzing sound coming from near the exhaust tips when I rev to exactly 2k RPMS.. but only when I'm parked.

I swear this car acts completely different from one day to the next
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

sweet going to do this asap. its weird that my lancer gts had barley any rattles now my 32k evo has 20.........
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFD
By damper connection, do you mean this part..

?? Thanks!

This weekend I just started getting a new rattle from the glovebox that wasn't even there before I added the other felt pieces, lol.

Plus, now that it's getting cold out again, I'm getting all kinds of neat new noises.. there's a weird knock outside near the front windshield that only happens occassionally. I'm thinking it's from crosswinds lifting up the wiper blades or something. And then there's a new buzzing sound coming from near the exhaust tips when I rev to exactly 2k RPMS.. but only when I'm parked.

I swear this car acts completely different from one day to the next
That's only where the glovebox rests when it is opened. Unless you drive around with it open it doesn't really matter if you put felt on that or not.

Of course another way to "feltify" any plastic material is get spray adhesive like super 77 and then get some felt flock to sprinkle on der.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:47 PM

glove box

Thank you!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:55 AM

Nice solution to the problem. I have rattle as well.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:18 PM

you guys are life savers
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

will this work if the rattling comes from the center console? i have navi
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:27 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong
That's only where the glovebox rests when it is opened. Unless you drive around with it open it doesn't really matter if you put felt on that or not.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, thanks.. just trying to figure out which extra spot that Migs feltified on his. Maybe he was referring to the piston thing that was hooked to the right-hand side?

Temps warmed up again today, so I had about 90% less rattles.. but I'm sure that'll change in another week or so. Interestingly enough, it was rather cold this weekend and I was able to hear a little BOV chirp for the 1st time.. prolly one of the better random noises I've heard from the car in awhile =)

Quick Reply: How To: Remove glove box rattle