Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X official paint issues/problems thread {merge}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 07:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Evo X official paint issues/problems thread {merge}

It seems this is a widespread problem, and I would like everyone who is seeing this to report in this thread and post pictures. We all know Mitsubishi is watching these forums, and I believe a stuck thread with actual pics will go a long way to help improve quality control for future X owners, and maybe even get something done for those of us who already have damage.

There was another thread, but it was more about the owner getting his car repainted. I want this thread to focus on cars that are damaged and any discussion that has been had with the dealerships out there.

Here are my pics:

Here in this first pic is a pic of my orange OBDII port scanner. The spot you will be looking for on your Evo X is directly above the scanner on both sides of your car. Please report back and take pics if you see anything on your own car!

Name:  bagsngravel001.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  79.3 KB

If you look in the bottom right corner of this pic, you can see where Mitsubishi has already added what looks like 3M tape to the bottom of the door.

Name:  bagsngravel003.jpg
Size:  52.0 KB

Sadly, all the little specs in these pics are not dirt. They are chipped paint that was damaged from spray from the front tires. This is not from driving in gravel, this is driving on a standard interstate, the front tires catching everything on the road, and hitting the back of the car. Over longer periods of time (like a year) the damage will be simply awful on any car at 12k miles or so. Clearly something must be done quickly. The pic where my finger is pointing is the spot that was cut the deepest.

Name:  bagsngravel002.jpg
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  bagsngravel008.jpg
Size:  50.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
zz7 (Dec 8, 2017)
Old Mar 6, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is really terrible..sorry man. I have the same color as yours, but nothing yet, as I only have 500 miles. I am afraid that its going to get beat up on the track this month though
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't this a common problem with cars with sticky tires. My X has the same film and a few scratches as well.

If it makes you feel any better, Porsche rectified the problem by extending the protective film across the entire area in front of the rear fender as such:

I'm wondering if having the same thing done by one of these clear bra installers might make sense for us X owners.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:20 AM

Blame those damn gumball tires that come on the the X! Those damn thinks pick up everything!

Perhaps we could get Xpel to make a kit for the rear fenders for the X.

http://www.xpel.com

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...&submodel=5783

Last edited by seminole2001; Mar 6, 2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Remeber the 8 had this problem as well and they fixed it on the 9. They addressed it with a bigger 3m clear tape. I would order this now before you paint gets chipped and it starts to rust like my 8 did.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 09:35 AM

lol you should see the new stis, its like a million times worse for them.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:11 AM

I actually got a big one higher up in that spot, but I think it's actually from someone hitting my car with their door
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont have these issues, but I have the Aero kit, so rocks cant get up there anyway.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

I will get picks up but also with only 500 miles on my car I am getting chips in the same spot as "Noize". Luckly the roads are ok here and the chips are minor. I went ahead and ordered splash gaurds and floor mats from "Russell" the Mitsu parts vendor on here. But it is agreed that Mitsu should of seen this coming from looking at their test cars. My EVO 8 had this real bad also.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:48 AM

What was the price and part number for the splash guards if you don't mind me asking?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

The STI's are having the same issues, but it looks like subaru is taking care of its customers that payed 35-40k on thair cars. My STI has chips too and I put 3-m film on and it still got beat. I was shocked to find out that subaru diddnt even have any mud flaps for the 08's.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PDXEvo
I dont have these issues, but I have the Aero kit, so rocks cant get up there anyway.
Same here I dont have these issues with the Aero kit.
if you look in the wheel area where a splash guard would go in the front. the Aero side skirt has this little area where it collects all these little rocks. I have to blast them out of there with a sprayer every car wash.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed it on the drivers side of my octane blue before I even left the dealer's lot... I haven't mentioned it to them yet though.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 06:08 PM

That really sucks, Id personally go out and have my own 3M job to cover that large area.

Clearly over time this unprotected area will get NASTY
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

I found this on www.ripoffreport.com apparently the Lancer GTS is having this same problem and this guy claims Mitsu would not help him at all. Not good news. I cant wait for my mud flaps to get here.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0313051.htm

Quick Reply: Evo X official paint issues/problems thread {merge}