Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

brake grinding!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:27 AM
pHi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake grinding!!!

I have 2011 evo with 18,000miles on it . I hear a loud grinding noise on the front when i open the window .I will get a grinding noise while braking a low speeds (under 10mph or sometime on highway). It not happenned all of the time. I brought it to dealer but they didnt find anywrong. You think i should change the pads?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Can you distinguish if it is a metallic grinding or otherwise?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seems like what i'm experiencing aswell , very rough metallic grinding sound at very low speed ie coming to a stop in rolling traffic condition. I removed my brake pads and they still have lots more to go
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Apparently that happens at low speeds if your rotors are dirty.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The edges of the rotors rust and drop little bits between the pads and rotors. A good air-blast is all it took to fix this on my car.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:27 PM
pHi

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The edges of the rotors rust and drop little bits between the pads and rotors. A good air-blast is all it took to fix this on my car.
Thank you!!! I will try
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

I have this same problem aswell

Please keep us informed if the "air blast" helps...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:01 AM

I just got on here to look at why my brakes may be squeaking really bad under strange braking conditions. What I mean by that, is that it seems random and under no specific conditions. My pads are still good (10,500 miles) so I'm assuming this may be the cause of it as well.

Did you guys notice the squeal prior to grinding or not? Normally it's indicative of your pads being depleted and rotor on caliper pressure, but if that's not the case for you I would really like to know if you noticed it. Problem for me is that I can't fix it myself until I move into my new house so I may just stop driving it this winter until I can take care of it. Laaaame.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HugePwnr
I just got on here to look at why my brakes may be squeaking really bad under strange braking conditions. What I mean by that, is that it seems random and under no specific conditions. My pads are still good (10,500 miles) so I'm assuming this may be the cause of it as well.

Did you guys notice the squeal prior to grinding or not? Normally it's indicative of your pads being depleted and rotor on caliper pressure, but if that's not the case for you I would really like to know if you noticed it. Problem for me is that I can't fix it myself until I move into my new house so I may just stop driving it this winter until I can take care of it. Laaaame.

Well mine will sometimes JUST squeal or sometimes JUST grind but its an ON and OFF issue w/ me. What seemed really odd is that it started happening right after I got new rotors and pads so I checked everything again and removed and re-installed everything to make sure I had everything on right and wipped everything during the process ofcourse...Well the squealing/grinding went away for a couple of days then returned so I'm really hoping it was from the dust collecting on the rotor or pads which caused this issue. It's currently raining where i'm at... so as soon as it stops for a couple of days I will also try blowing the rotors/calipers and see what happens. I will post my results after driving it for a day or 2
Old Nov 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor

The stock pads are fairly aggressive they will make some noises guys. A light grinding noise at low speed and some squealing is normal for there compound. The "grinding" is very easy to hear on an overpass as the sound bounces off the concrete walls.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im getting some grinding noise too, i need to get my wheel off soon and take a look
Old Nov 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
pHi

Originally Posted by total0wnage
im getting some grinding noise too, i need to get my wheel off soon and take a look
try the air blast. It works but i have to do it every 3-4days >.<
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I switched mine out at 17k two weeks ago cuz the sound would annoy the daylights outta me. Heard it faintly driving on the hwy and def hear it bouncing the noise off other cars and walls. Switched to Hawks HPS and sound is gone.