Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Sway Bars: Hotchkis and Cobb

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an extra set of Hotchkis bars that I'm not going to use if someone is interested in a good price.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 08:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAG
I have an extra set of Hotchkis bars that I'm not going to use if someone is interested in a good price.
Don't feel like switching the front bar out again, huh?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 08:51 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

no one here mentioned whiteline...why?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Cyp
no one here mentioned whiteline...why?
Because it is alot thinner in diameter than the COBB or Hotchkis bars.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:21 PM

Whiteline makes solid bars, thus being thinner. Hotchis and COBB are hollow.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:35 PM
Account Disabled

Updates??????
Old May 11, 2009, 02:38 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
i just bought a robispec rear bar....we will see how that goes
Old May 11, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

I still haven't put the damn things in. I got swamped at work with this swine flu crap and I've been putting in 16 hour days for the past 3 weeks. Sorry guys.

I did run at the Winged Warrior event this past Saturday and brought home 1st Place Overall in B class against some tough EVOs and STIs, and was able to run 3rd best time overall regardless of class. I have lots of suspension goodies to test out so I need to get on it! Sorry for the delay, but I hope to have them in before Sunday's event so I can do some logging. I have plenty of datalogs to compare to, and will do some back to back on a slalom that I setup here at work.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:50 PM
Account Disabled

I still haven't put the damn things in. I got swamped at work with this swine flu crap and I've been putting in 16 hour days for the past 3 weeks. Sorry guys.

I did run at the Winged Warrior event this past Saturday and brought home 1st Place Overall in B class against some tough EVOs and STIs, and was able to run 3rd best time overall regardless of class. I have lots of suspension goodies to test out so I need to get on it! Sorry for the delay, but I hope to have them in before Sunday's event so I can do some logging. I have plenty of datalogs to compare to, and will do some back to back on a slalom that I setup here at work.
Do you have the spares still for sale. I messaged you but didn't get any response. Let me know.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

I drove around for a week with the front bar on only and played with the two settings. Then I installed the rear bar and drove around for another week. I settled with the following settings.

Front bar - softest.
Rear bar - stiffest.

I'm playing around with the rear toe right now. I liked the rear with a 1/8" toe-out but I was a little worried about tire wear so I'm back at 0" toe for now. The handling is pretty darn good right now. The grip levels are such that it's really hard to explore the limits. I still have a little understeer at mid corner and corner exit but it's not bad. I'm guessing now I'd need more camber up front. I'm at -2.4F and -2.0R.

The only thing that's a little odd is the transition from hard braking to initial turn in. Or even getting on the gas hard, I feel the car pitching front to rear more than side to side (if that makes sense). The springs are softer than how stiff the sway bars are. I'd up the spring rates some to match the stiffness of the sway bars if I didn't daily drive the car. But since I do, I'm pretty much done with the suspension.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I intalled a set of swift springs and hotchkis sways the weekend before last. I'm really pleased with that set-up thus far. A few notes though: Initially I had the front and rear both set on their stiffest settings. You can make the traction control come on very easily with these settings by just swearving back and forth. Handling is great, but stiff front/rear is only practical for a track day w/ the traction control off. As of now, I have the front on the soft setting, and the rear on the mid setting. This is a pretty good all around balance w/ the TC still on. If you turn the TC off, handling is still predictable. You cannot run the front on the stiffest setting w/o having the rear on the stiffest setting and leave the TC on. The TC will freak out; don't try it.

Sidenote: Install on the front was a *****, but you already know that.

Ask away w/ any additional questions.

Last edited by evolvedx; May 12, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evolvedx
I intalled a set of swift springs and hotchkis sways the weekend before last. I'm really pleased with that set-up thus far. A few notes though: Initially I had the front and rear both set on their stiffest settings. You can make the traction control come on very easily with these settings by just swearving back and forth. Handling is great, but stiff front/rear is only practical for a track day w/ the traction control off. As of now, I have the front on the soft setting, and the rear on the mid setting. This is a pretty good all around balance w/ the TC still on. If you turn the TC off, handling is still predictable. You cannot run the front on the stiffest setting w/o having the rear on the stiffest setting and leave the TC on. The TC will freak out; don't try it.

Sidenote: Install on the front was a *****, but you already know that.

Ask away w/ any additional questions.
Yeah, decided I would go with the COBB bars. Both look pretty darn similar anyways.

Mine will be mostly a DD and I doubt I will even utilize the COBB bars to their full potential.

I also got the Swifts springs, but with COBB bars. I'll post up the results.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Whoa! I'm going to try to get the bars on tonight before tomorrow's event.

Old May 16, 2009, 08:50 AM
Account Disabled

Whoa! I'm going to try to get the bars on tonight before tomorrow's event.

Old May 16, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Holy crap! That's some serious dive! Sway bars will help but I think you need stiffer springs too.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars: Hotchkis and Cobb