Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Sway Bars: Hotchkis and Cobb

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hah! Squeaking gone!!

I went home for lunch and disconnected the bars. Squeaking is gone. So it had to be related to the bars. I took off the brackets and bushings and looked for any areas without grease. It turns out between the bracket and the bushing, there wasn't any grease. So I put a bunch of grease between them and regreased everything again. Put everything back and took it for a ride. The squeaking is gone! Well at least for now.

BTW, when I was under the car and looking at it, there's no way to get that bar out without dropping the subframe. It is extremely tight around that area.
Old May 19, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice, so like you stated... remove the wheels, and you can remove the brackets from the car without any issues??? Thats what i'll be doing this weekend then... SWEET! and I guess Ill take off the bushings and clean out the grease that came with the bars and use the recommended lube from this thread.

Thanks guys! hope this works.
Old May 19, 2009, 05:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well at least when I drop the subframe I'll install the AMS downpipe as well.
Old May 26, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

good news, so I lubed the surface in between the sway bar brackets and the rubber bushings and the squeak is GONE!
Old May 26, 2009, 02:48 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by antics22
good news, so I lubed the surface in between the sway bar brackets and the rubber bushings and the squeak is GONE!
That's good news. I'm getting mine today, so just have to wait for the springs now.

I got my COBB bars.

It looks like the the brackets that comes with COBB bars have bleeder valves on mine. Similar looking to bleeders on car brakes. I dunno if these are meant for a grease gun or something. Anyone have ideas?

Last edited by Clipse3GT; May 26, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old May 26, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

yea, those small bleeders/fittings accomodate a grease gun. The bushing has a pass-through hole that allows you to re-grease the inside surface between the sway bar itself and the bushing...

But I would manually lube the outside of the bushing in between the metal bracket and bushing... thats where the source of my squeaking was coming from.
Old May 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
That's good news. I'm getting mine today, so just have to wait for the springs now.

I got my COBB bars.

It looks like the the brackets that comes with COBB bars have bleeder valves on mine. Similar looking to bleeders on car brakes. I dunno if these are meant for a grease gun or something. Anyone have ideas?

yep grease them
Old May 29, 2009, 07:21 AM
Account Disabled

Updates?
Old May 29, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Putting them on tonight. I just did some datalogs with the stock stuff, and hopefully I can get in the same type of weather conditions tomorrow to give the Cobbs a shot. Sorry for the delay. Government research owns me
Old May 31, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Easy install. The rear is a 30 minute job, but took me an hour due to all the crap on the end link threads. The front was super easy and took 2 hours. I don't know why people are afraid of putting the front on.

I need to wait on similar conditions before I can compare these, but I did run through with just the rear on and it certainly made a difference. I think the car was way to tail happy like that. It needs the front bar and I'm anxious to feel the difference.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

I have the COBB bars installed. I just installed them yesterday. I have to say it is a night and day difference. The car feels very planted with the rear set to stiffest and front set to softest setting. Turns feel predictable, concise, accurate, and planted. Car feels very stable, and definitely much more planted than before. I am eager to get some AutoX time in to see the difference.

Very good mod for the money. The COBB bars are excellent quality and very nicely built.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Nice
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

holy batman thread resurrect!

Any updates on your swaybars DRAG, Clipse3GT, GSXR, antics22, and evolvedx?

I was considering Hotchkis, since I had them on my Scion tC and they were great! But COBB is another great company to go with. Feedbacks anyone?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

I have been trying to track down a Cobb rear bar but it has been discontinued. Two places now have given me a refund and said the product has been discontinued. Anybody know why?

I want to go with a rear bar that is one piece, hollow, and adjustable. I also get the impression that most who do upgrade the front sway bar set the front bar at just barely above the stock stiffness which is typically the softest setting. So I'm going to go with just a rear bar for now. However, I would like the option to later get a front bar to match if I feel its necessary. Cobb seemed to fit that bill. I'm afraid just a rear Hotchkis would be too stiff. What are everyone's thoughts here.

Anyone else know of hollow bars that are one piece construction?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by smanders
I have been trying to track down a Cobb rear bar but it has been discontinued. Two places now have given me a refund and said the product has been discontinued. Anybody know why?

I want to go with a rear bar that is one piece, hollow, and adjustable. I also get the impression that most who do upgrade the front sway bar set the front bar at just barely above the stock stiffness which is typically the softest setting. So I'm going to go with just a rear bar for now. However, I would like the option to later get a front bar to match if I feel its necessary. Cobb seemed to fit that bill. I'm afraid just a rear Hotchkis would be too stiff. What are everyone's thoughts here.

Anyone else know of hollow bars that are one piece construction?
Hotchkis are the same as COBB as far as those requirements.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars: Hotchkis and Cobb