Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

All-Season tires SUCK (it's a constructive post however)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read enough reasonable feedback on the continental's that they'll be on my short list in a couple of years when my Avid W4S's wear out eventually. Thankfully I really only need something like this for about 3 mths a year.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
Actually it's not the speed that is the problem with drifting with the ASC on but the unpredictability of the car mid drift or basically the car still tries to stabilize itself...

Here's an awesome movie about ASC that I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Yi3S8Nfxc

But I see what you're trying to say. Me however coming from an EUDM Evo 8 (ACD, AYC) to an USDM evo IX (RS rear diff, ACD) to an USDM X (SAWC, AYC) - the setting that fits me most is asc off off. I just like to have full control of the car (however I've done my share of drifting in the car in the snow, raid and even dry) so I have quite a feel for the car when it's sideways. But as you said - practice practice practice. The only way you're ever going to be able to properly control the car.
I'd seen that clip before I did try my Off-Off test on the track. What I wasn't ready for was how heavy the beast really is compared to my under-powered cars of past that I took sideways. The thing has a lot of momentum that needs early correction -- or else. Last time I did sideways often with e-brake style guidance, my car was a 1974 Opel Manta Rallye, 1.9L and somewhere closer to 2000 lbs than 3400 lbs.

(And on my Opel, I ran Mich summer tires up front and Sears snow tires on the back. Incredible handling with a few hundred pounds of weight in the trunk.)
Old Feb 4, 2010, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by journeymansteve
I'd seen that clip before I did try my Off-Off test on the track. What I wasn't ready for was how heavy the beast really is compared to my under-powered cars of past that I took sideways. The thing has a lot of momentum that needs early correction -- or else. Last time I did sideways often with e-brake style guidance, my car was a 1974 Opel Manta Rallye, 1.9L and somewhere closer to 2000 lbs than 3400 lbs.

(And on my Opel, I ran Mich summer tires up front and Sears snow tires on the back. Incredible handling with a few hundred pounds of weight in the trunk.)
Yes it's a heavy sucker indeed. However, I can't live with the ASC ON. I can drive with the ASC off and have some fun, ASC off off is the most fun... And in the future I'm def. mounting an RS LSD because it beats the living **** out of AYC. You americans wished so hard to have it, now I'm cursing you cause I'd have to buy an X RS if I wanted one without it.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I am growing into this US version pretty quickly. I drive with the ASC off all the time also!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I am growing into this US version pretty quickly. I drive with the ASC off all the time also!
The only way to fly
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Actually it's not the speed that is the problem with drifting with the ASC on but the unpredictability of the car mid drift or basically the car still tries to stabilize itself...

Here's an awesome movie about ASC that I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Yi3S8Nfxc

But I see what you're trying to say. Me however coming from an EUDM Evo 8 (ACD, AYC) to an USDM evo IX (RS rear diff, ACD) to an USDM X (SAWC, AYC) - the setting that fits me most is asc off off. I just like to have full control of the car (however I've done my share of drifting in the car in the snow, raid and even dry) so I have quite a feel for the car when it's sideways. But as you said - practice practice practice. The only way you're ever going to be able to properly control the car.
USDM evos didn't get the RS rear diff from the Evo RS from other markets - it's actually more similar to an Evo III's (? not sure WHICH evo exactly) mechanical rear differential lol

correct me if i'm wrong though

edit: not sure WHICH evo's old rear lsd it is, but it's not the same as the RS models in Japan, that I'm 100% sure of

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 7, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

For the past 2 years, I've been running my Nitto Invos (255/35/18 on Work rims) all year (yes, even sub freezing temps) until snow is in the forecast, then I swap them out for a set of Hankook Icebears (225/17s) mounted on a separate set of IX Enkies. I looked into getting all seasons, but as stated before, they just don't do anything that great. I'd rather have 2 sets that do both of their jobs exceptionally than a "jack of all trades" tire that really doesn't perform in the first place.

I have almost 40k on the Invos and I plan to get my 2nd set this springtime. No they aren't ultra grippy monsters like a Direzza, but lets see you run a Direzza in everything from 95 degree summer days, to 15 degree winter mornings, commuting to work. The Invos perform in ALL conditions and temperatures, except snow accumulation. Yes, you are ABLE to drive in the snow with them but a 255 is a complete boat in the snow and the tread pattern is not designed for it, making you drive very cautiously. When driving normally and careful, Icebears in the snow make the car almost feel like its on regular asphalt.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC
For the past 2 years, I've been running my Nitto Invos (255/35/18 on Work rims) all year (yes, even sub freezing temps) until snow is in the forecast, then I swap them out for a set of Hankook Icebears (225/17s) mounted on a separate set of IX Enkies. I looked into getting all seasons, but as stated before, they just don't do anything that great. I'd rather have 2 sets that do both of their jobs exceptionally than a "jack of all trades" tire that really doesn't perform in the first place.

I have almost 40k on the Invos and I plan to get my 2nd set this springtime. No they aren't ultra grippy monsters like a Direzza, but lets see you run a Direzza in everything from 95 degree summer days, to 15 degree winter mornings, commuting to work. The Invos perform in ALL conditions and temperatures, except snow accumulation. Yes, you are ABLE to drive in the snow with them but a 255 is a complete boat in the snow and the tread pattern is not designed for it, making you drive very cautiously. When driving normally and careful, Icebears in the snow make the car almost feel like its on regular asphalt.
As far as ratings go... the Continental's are better than all other all season tires (according to the tirerack's ratings) and these are based on a lot of ratings... the dry traction is almost as good as a summer tire... I'd like some people out there who actually own a set of these to give their opinions on them in all conditions if you have had them that long. If I could drive a little less aggressive, but have a tire that will last 35,000-50,000 miles or one like the stock advans that throw stones all over my car, and last at the most 25,000 miles, why would I spend the extra money when you can do all sorts of driving with an A/S as opposed to just a summer tire.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

What Yoko 4s's? I have W4S's, and compared to OEM tires in dry conditions, they are deadly. I mean it. I run them at 35psi and they lack sidewall stiffness still, seem to actually deform (middle tread raises with centripetal forces) and don't have great stickiness I love. Wet, yes, they are better. I don't know about butt kicking... hence my question on which Yoko's?

For snow, especially the limited amount I get here in STL, I am happy with them. They keep me safe, and the treadwear is superior to summer.

And when the temps changed on me in mid Nov, I did notice that the W4S had superior grip to summer tires at temps below 30def F. I guess that summer compound really isn't designed for cold.

I want another set of Z1's! Loved 'em.
In case no one answered your question in PM, the W4S's and the 4S's are a different tire... the W4S's got overall a lower review than the 4S which has better dry grip (according to those who own the tire and have reviewed it) than the W4S.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:36 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
As far as ratings go... the Continental's are better than all other all season tires (according to the tirerack's ratings) and these are based on a lot of ratings... the dry traction is almost as good as a summer tire... I'd like some people out there who actually own a set of these to give their opinions on them in all conditions if you have had them that long. If I could drive a little less aggressive, but have a tire that will last 35,000-50,000 miles or one like the stock advans that throw stones all over my car, and last at the most 25,000 miles, why would I spend the extra money when you can do all sorts of driving with an A/S as opposed to just a summer tire.
So far with about 4000 miles on em, the continental dws's in 225 width has just about the same dry weather grip as the stock yoko's in 215 width. Wet weather traction is about 90% of dry, including the stopping distance (contrary to Tirerack's test where it had better grip in wet than dry...)

I haven't been dumb enough to try the stock yoko's in snow but the conti's so far have allowed me to drive at the posted speed limit for most roads with up to 4-6 inches of snow on the ground, depending on conditions.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xi
So far with about 4000 miles on em, the continental dws's in 225 width has just about the same dry weather grip as the stock yoko's in 215 width. Wet weather traction is about 90% of dry, including the stopping distance (contrary to Tirerack's test where it had better grip in wet than dry...)

I haven't been dumb enough to try the stock yoko's in snow but the conti's so far have allowed me to drive at the posted speed limit for most roads with up to 4-6 inches of snow on the ground, depending on conditions.
if it's just snow and no ice under it, I can drive with the Advans on the car... with ice under it I have to be pretty careful, but with AWD you always feel like the car has itself under control, but when a turn comes up you sometimes find out it really doesn't lol... so you go slow.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:53 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
if it's just snow and no ice under it, I can drive with the Advans on the car... with ice under it I have to be pretty careful, but with AWD you always feel like the car has itself under control, but when a turn comes up you sometimes find out it really doesn't lol... so you go slow.
I drove with the Advans on a cold rainy day ~40 deg and it was hairy, esp when trying to push dry braking distances and cornering speeds. I've heard a lot of horror stories of the stock advans in the snow what with it being a summer tire and all.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Well I'd just like to share my experience with all-season tires. The tires in question are Goodyear allseason tires (stock size 245/40/18).

Since the first day I've driven my car I've rotated between winter and summer tires during season changes and since we have a law about this anyway, there's no reason not to. The law says that every car needs to have winter tires from the 15th of November to 15th of March - that or summer tires with atleast 4mm of thread left and ice chains in the trunk. All seasons however count as winter tires and survive the law as "acceptable" for the winter.

So my story goes like this:
Evo 8 - winter - Continental Wintercontact -> Dunlop WinterSport 3d
Evo 9 - winter - Nexen winterrandom (yes they are bad, I got the with the car but the winter was almost over at the time so I didn't even bother with them)
And now... I bought my Evo 10 and it was equipped with Goodyear allseasons (pretty much brand new aswell). I drove it around in the dry and they had let's say decent grip for a crap tire but I thought to myself that it's for the best since they have to handle wet and snow... Guess what, we had snow the same evening and I drove 30mph on the highway skidding allover the place, hoping I can stop when I needed to get on the brakes and so on.

So I thought to myself, maybe the tires are just plain bad or I don't know... Took it to my mechanic, he inspected the tires and said they're in great condition all 4 of them, so we started the discussion about allseaons and his comment was, yes it's a street legal tire for all road conditions but it's not good at anything.

So here's my story about all-season tires. I bought an Evo X and Monday I'll be picking up a set of Dunlop Wintersport 3D's and the goodyears are going up in to the ozone. And I thought Nexen was bad.

Anyway - the reason why I wrote my experience is that I've read numerous numerous times on this forum that all season tires are GREAT and handle in all conditions and that everyone who has light snow should have all season tires because it's just the ultimate compromise instead of getting the rubbish winter tires. To all the people that write this, either you drive around like a granny and should sell your Evo right away, or you have NO clue what the word GRIP means. After a few years of driving experience, I can tell you that driving on a proper winter tire in the snow, with an Evo - It just doesn't get any better. So I have to say to you - IF YOU HAVE SNOW in your region, get a winter tire and go have some fun.

Cheers!
Which goodyears did you have? I want to make sure I stay away from them.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

There is no arguement that if you want the most GRIP for winter, buy a winter tire. Almost all new cars come with all season tires and they seem to work just fine for most. If you need to be on the edge of peak performance when there is 6 inches of snow, ice at 10 degrees, by all means spend the $1k on winters and have fun.

I will stick with my DWS for $135...I have not had one problem driving on them this winter. More than adequate for me. Plus a 50k warranty. You ain't getting that with winter tires!!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

All seasons for the crappy months and summer tires for the nice months...

Quick Reply: All-Season tires SUCK (it's a constructive post however)