Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fortune-Auto 500 Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stevolee
What is the purpose of the Swift Helper Spring for the FA 500?
I would assume that the purpose is the same as always: to keep the springs lined up at full droop.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:11 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
This is one of those "you don't have to have it, but, if you're dreadfully serious, you should" kinds of things. When I first built my coilovers for my 2G DSM (autocross car), I didn't include them. I also resisted the idea that I needed them because math told me the amount of rotation was minimal (plus I really liked arguing with DG). But as my driving got better and the competitive juices started to flow, I went ahead and added them. And, yes, they made a difference. Not much, but the butt-dyno and stop-watch both said so. Plus, Torringtons will increase the life of the shock, itself.
But cleaning them is a pain in the behind. And they need constant care!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone got any recent reviews on the 4th generation Fortune 500 with Swift springs? Do they outperform Stance super Sport for extra $$$? I'm considering these bad boys over some European brands. but yet to get convinced myself. Are the new version are noisy (Clunk)? They recommend Swift springs 8K/8K for daily driving are they too soft, any comments? WIll it be fine I go 8F/9R?

Finally, has anyone got experience with Stance Super sport with Swift upgarde?

Cheers,

Last edited by DONNOD; Jun 15, 2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 4th Gen FA500 with the Swift spring upgrade with the 9k f/r setup on my 03 GSR with the Muller Air Cup lift system. I drove her on the track at Summit Point yesterday and she definitely pushed the limits of the tires (Continental Extreme DSW).

I never lost confidence in the suspension and she held true and never once was unpredictable. Even when I pinched in too hard at the exit of a turn and the car started a slight rear slide I was able to pull back a little on the throttle and steering and it came back like a dream and was like it never happened. I was able to recover the line and never had any issues with weight transfer.

Also note that this is a pure coil/damper swap on a 95k mile 2003 GSR. I have all original stock piece for everything else suspension like bushings, sway bars, end links, etc. I don't even have the anti-roll kit (next upgrade though)

I have driven an 8 GSR with any other coilover like the Ohlins, KW and sorts, but I have with spring/damper swaps such as the RSR titanium springs, Eibach and the such.

I would say for the money, unless you plan on having a track only evo, you will be very pleased with the car on FA coils. My car even impressed two different instructors that rode with me at the helm, and one with my wife driving! She could even handle the car with no problem and she has never ever driven anything or anywhere other than in a Protege at a drag strip a couple of times
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

I too just installed my fa coilovers man and just like everyone else has said they're super quiet and I even "dumped" my car to do a stress test to see how they'd perform even though I'd NEVER keep my car this low but they're awesome. Even this low the car springs EXACTLY like stock w/ the setting set to midway soft to hard. If that makes sense, these are best coilovers i've owned hands down

for those who wanted a pic here is a front assembly and a back. Wayyyyyyyyy smaller than the stocks
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smoothy
I have the 4th Gen FA500 with the Swift spring upgrade with the 9k f/r setup on my 03 GSR ...
... which may or may not be the same as what they sell for Xs.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdxftw
I too just installed my fa coilovers man and just like everyone else has said they're super quiet and I even "dumped" my car to do a stress test to see how they'd perform even though I'd NEVER keep my car this low but they're awesome.
Please say more about the "stress test" that you can perform by slamming an Evo X into the ground.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Please say more about the "stress test" that you can perform by slamming an Evo X into the ground.
i'm that guy yup! I was so amazed at what it rode like at normal height I lowered it to the floor and went 90 over a speed bump. Checked out fine tad bit of
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Wouldn't it be easier if you just wrote: "I wanted to see how cool the car would look if I slammed it into the ground, but was embarrassed to admit that this was what I was doing, so I decided to append a sciency-sounding label ... stress test"?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Wouldn't it be easier if you just wrote: "I wanted to see how cool the car would look if I slammed it into the ground, but was embarrassed to admit that this was what I was doing, so I decided to append a sciency-sounding label ... stress test"?
absolutely not, because sciency is not a word. 1. If I wanted to see what slammed evos looked like i'd look at the agressive wheel thread. 2. i'm in afghanistan, I didn't install them.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:23 AM

... which may or may not be the same as what they sell for Xs.

Duely noted. Hence me being very clear that this is on a 2003 Evo 8, not the X. I know that is a big difference, but speaking solely on the build of the FAs.