Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My Impressions of Girodisc Magic Pads

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Impressions of Girodisc Magic Pads

So I just got these installed today, still using stock rotors and etc. 17,000 miles and I'm already in need of new pads, but whatever. The bite on these is pretty amazing, I don't remember what stock felt like new, but this was a huge improvement over my worn stock pads.

The only thing is, so when I use the brakes to slow down it's fine, but when I come to a complete stop, these things squeal louder than a pig in a slaughterhouse. Anyone else have this problem? The shop I got it done at did use that anti-noise silicone thingie. But overall I do love these pads. Enough to make me consider the Girodisc 2-piece rotors.

Thanks for the help Johann @ Girodisc! Great company to work with, very responsive to all my questions.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It might take some time to get everything lined up if the rotors are still shaped to match your old worn stock pads. Assuming they used a good brake lube between all the layers, I've had zero noises from my magic pads. I'm actually using the magic pad shims plus the stock triangle ones on top of that with lube between all layers so that might be part of the zero noise for me.

Stopping power wise they are decent but are definitely not a track pad. Still, once you bed the rotors to the pads they have plenty of stopping power if you use a little more foot pressure. Raybestos ST43 track pads grab like a freight train compared to these but are pretty crazy for wear when used for anything but track duty. The magic pads are almost dust free if you are just commuting to work, and when you hammer on them they seem to dust a bit as expected but hold up fine for moderate stopping. I think they would be ok for an Auto-x but that would be about their limits.

Have you bedded these in properly so that everything is lined up?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
It might take some time to get everything lined up if the rotors are still shaped to match your old worn stock pads. Assuming they used a good brake lube between all the layers, I've had zero noises from my magic pads. I'm actually using the magic pad shims plus the stock triangle ones on top of that with lube between all layers so that might be part of the zero noise for me.

Stopping power wise they are decent but are definitely not a track pad. Still, once you bed the rotors to the pads they have plenty of stopping power if you use a little more foot pressure. Raybestos ST43 track pads grab like a freight train compared to these but are pretty crazy for wear when used for anything but track duty. The magic pads are almost dust free if you are just commuting to work, and when you hammer on them they seem to dust a bit as expected but hold up fine for moderate stopping. I think they would be ok for an Auto-x but that would be about their limits.

Have you bedded these in properly so that everything is lined up?
Thanks for the reply. I'm not that familiar with brakes as I always let shops do my brakes, what do you mean bedded in?