Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Pirelli PZERO NERO all season???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirelli PZERO NERO all season???

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Neros all season? Its about time to do a tire swap on my X, I have heard great things with Pirelli tires but cannot find too many reviews with the Nero all season's.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JReid
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Neros all season? Its about time to do a tire swap on my X, I have heard great things with Pirelli tires but cannot find too many reviews with the Nero all season's.
Stay away from All-seasons. They are the worst of both worlds. They aren't as good as winter tires in the snow, and they aren't as good as Summer tires in the summer. Its like driving around on compromised tires all year around.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:43 AM

I daily drive my car and put some all seasons on the stock wheel recently. I went with a Perelli but I don't recall the model. If you daily the car and don't have the money for two complete set ups there is a place for all season tires.

I really like the tires I have now (only about 500 miles) but some spirited driving on entrance ramps / freeway I don't tell much of a difference. I do know summer tires are REALLY bad in the winter based on previous experience. You also can't drive winter tires (Blizzaks) in the summer or they melt.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I run A/S as "snow tires", which they're not perfect for, but good enough to handle any depth of snow that won't get above my air dam and into my intercooler. No way do I want to risk salt or rocks from snow getting in there, so 4" of snow is ok for All-seasons.

All-seasons are sorta dangerous after driving the car hard on extreme summer tires. You will get a lot more relative sidewall flex. And the grip is less. But the price of the A/S in terms of treadlife is VERY nice for daily-driving and high mileage drivers. Instead of 10-12k miles out of extreme summer, I'm likely going to get 40k miles out of my Yoko AVID A/S. That's a lot of savings especially for a tire that was 65% the price of a set of Dunlop Z1's.

You get what you pay for, but if you're not trying to go fast, A/S are ok for light snow. And they're fine in smoking hot summer pavement temperatures. (Heck, I even tracked them a session at 44psi -- rated to 60 -- and all they did was squeal and chunk. Did better than I thought they would after I cranked the pressure to stiffen the sidewalls)
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks alot guys for the advice. I am from NC and stationed in NC, we dont get too much snow during the winter however this past winter we had a considerable amount, at least that is by NC standards and I drove in it with the stock Advans... I saw the dangerous-ness in that so to say. I believe I will continue to research a good tire, it appears to be that every season I am actually in the states for, that will be the season I wouldnt have tires for if I bought summer tires when I get back from this deployment... Lose-Lose situation I suppose.

Thanks for the advice guys, its much appreciated.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put a set of pzero nero all seasons on my RA cause i couldnt afford my two sets at the time so i figured i would leave these on there until they wore and meanwhile get my 2 sets. I feel that they are decent in dry, great in wet and really good in snow. I had these same tires on my FWD gts i owned and i never got stuck in 5inches of snow! so i think they are good enough if ur tryin to get something to last you for a while. BTW i paid 650$ with everything including road hazard for life of tire. so its not that expensive either.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:25 AM

never had them on my X, but i sell them at my shop all the time. for an all season its a good tire
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a set of the P Zero Nero M & S on my VIII. They are way better than the OEMs once the weather gets cold or snowy which is what I needed while living in Central PA at the time. That being said, performance was way less "Evo-like" than with the Advans.

Good luck.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks again for the advice guys.