Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rotas for track use.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy rotas, I have never had a problem nor have 1000s of people. Every wheel has a chance of breaking.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

I second the rpf1s.

They are just a few hundred more for a great wheel. I run rotas as my daily driver/autocross and would at the track too. I'm not scared of them, but the rpf1 is the perfect lightweight, wallet friendly wheel you can get for the most part. As someone else said no one cares what wheels you have at the track. Your looking for a good performing wheel for track use, not a car show.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I would go with the Enkei RPF1's or NT03's. Good wheels that are near the price of rotas (almost) I don't care if everyone else has them, because 90% of evo's look the damn same anyway. So if your car looks good with them, then rock them You can't really be "unique" unless you're willing to spend lots of cash anyway.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Truth. But why the hell you want the same damn wheels as everyone and their mom is beyond me.

Any wheel can break anyone that says you are risking your life on Rotas is rediculous and a fool.

They are tested to exceed JWL/VIA standards and have been tracked in many many facets of motorsports for years yes before the EVO hit our shores

I owned Volks sold em and now have Rotas. To be honest I was sick of worring about them.
i didnt see them in big races yet, or used by big racing teams.
I saw couple of pictures, from a Rota guys, who put it up there for a Redline TA and if i am right some kind of US touring car dodge SRT. /i think a same as running the RTA.
Also don't forget, they dont buy wheels for years....

I dont think you should paint a picture about Rotas like they are track tested and proved as the Enkei's or OZ's etc. Because that would be a real false statement. They have a long road a head.
Also to exceed the base safety line is not exactly a same as to match with other wheels safety level.
Like, if you have one star crash test and 5 star in the other hand, both exceeded the safety standards dont they?

Rotas are fine , specially for DD or light track use. But that doesnt mean they are as good as the Enkei's for example. Specially when you talking about the close price range wheels.

Rob

ps: i would give them my first credit, as soon as they will be used by a pro rally team, that is where the strength and reliability starts. As soon as they proved themselves there, then you can start talking about strength and reliability until...

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I really didn't understand most of what Robevo RS said, except for the part where I don't see Rota's used on major race team's cars. Now I'm not going to discredit anyone, but I'd like to see a list of at least ten cars running Rota's on the track.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Is anyone really trying to say Rotas are as good at the RPF1's for track use? Anyone...?

If not, then I think its safe to conclude that RPF1's > Rotas for the track.

Will the Rotas work, sure. But they will also be heavier, and more likely to fail.

/thread
Old May 30, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'd go, and did, with a set of enkeis if i was you. your going to end up spending the same amount of money on the rotas, so wouldn't it make sense to get a real set of rims that will preform a lot better also. if you do end up buying rotas, you'll be perfectly fine with those rims too, the only difference is that they're going to be a lot heavier, not as strong as say enkeis, and might flex under heavy turning(especially with r-comps) if you go with a set of rotas with few and skinny spokes. at the end of the day, it is ur car and you should do what you want, but the correct choice would be a set of enkeis or any other proven brand
Old May 30, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone ever seen a Rota DPT fail? Ever? After I saw what TurnIn Concepts did to one after contacting a Miata I was sold on them. The wheel was mangled and still held up. They never noticed until the car came in for fuel. The DPT has many decent sized spokes, unlike the Boost which to me looks like it has 6 whimpy ones.

I've had my fair share of offroad detours at road courses on my DPT's now, and not a single one is bent or damaged. I've hit some pretty sizeable dips/holes too.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MSP608
Has anyone ever seen a Rota DPT fail? Ever? After I saw what TurnIn Concepts did to one after contacting a Miata I was sold on them. The wheel was mangled and still held up. They never noticed until the car came in for fuel. The DPT has many decent sized spokes, unlike the Boost which to me looks like it has 6 whimpy ones.

I've had my fair share of offroad detours at road courses on my DPT's now, and not a single one is bent or damaged. I've hit some pretty sizeable dips/holes too.
miatas and evos are not a same. not even close.
Even the mazda speed 3 example diff is tiny compare to the evo , and they have bigger engine... So the power and weight etc , never mind the combination of the two, is a different level.
So it is not a good comparison.

i think a WRX comparison would be much better, and the Rota is big in the Subi world, by the way.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
miatas and evos are not a same. not even close.
Even the mazda speed 3 example diff is tiny compare to the evo , and they have bigger engine... So the power and weight etc , never mind the combination of the two, is a different level.
So it is not a good comparison.

i think a WRX comparison would be much better, and the Rota is big in the Subi world, by the way.
I'm not sure what you're getting at in comparing, but The TurnIn Concepts car is a WRX with STi engine and drivetrain. I found their old post and it was actually a Civic that hit them not a Miata. In the collision one of their DPTs got mangled, which miraculously still held air.

That's more than enough proof for me to trust in them. I've personally gone sideways into a tirewall at a good rate of speed, bent the two struts but my DPTs were fine.

I figure if the wheel can take this much abuse, I'm fine with the extra weight. Plus if I ever do end up bending/damaging one, it's probably something that would damage an Enkei just as bad. Only difference? I won't be crying when I have to replace a Rota instead of an Enkei.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone in the D1 Drift competitions in the USA uses Rota? I think Enkei RPF1 is the most popular for that sport. Rhys Millen approves of this.
Old May 31, 2011, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on DPTs, I haven't tracked mine but I've hit some big pot holes etc and they hold up fine. Among the lightest Rotas too.
Old May 31, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

I just purchased a new set of "summer" wheels a couple of days ago, however for a week before I kept banging my head on exactly which brand to go with. I looked at Work, Rotas, Volk, and Enkei.

In the end, I went with the Enkei Rpf1 because they weren't much more than the Rotas and "seem" to have a better track record. I don't have anything against any wheel brand in particular, and like most of said here, any rim could break, however for some reason I just felt a little more at ease going with Enkei's. I guess having them stock on my GSR helped a bit as well.

As long as you're not spending $3000-4000 on wheels, I say go with whatever makes you feel comfortable. No set of "wear and tear" items is worth that kind of cash IMO.
Old May 31, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure what you're getting at in comparing, but The TurnIn Concepts car is a WRX with STi engine and drivetrain. I found their old post and it was actually a Civic that hit them not a Miata. In the collision one of their DPTs got mangled, which miraculously still held air.

That's more than enough proof for me to trust in them. I've personally gone sideways into a tirewall at a good rate of speed, bent the two struts but my DPTs were fine.

I figure if the wheel can take this much abuse, I'm fine with the extra weight. Plus if I ever do end up bending/damaging one, it's probably something that would damage an Enkei just as bad. Only difference? I won't be crying when I have to replace a Rota instead of an Enkei.
good wheel bend , doenst brake, that picture is actually a horrible display for quality. Dont get into the picture contest never worked out for rota...

That is my problem with Rota guys, they try to make the Rota look better what they are, and spreading false info's , like ENkei's cost arms and legs... Its plane false statement. They cost more sure, but how much more?

End of the day , most guys will be happy with Rotas no question, but some one who race little bit more then a weekend warrior, they tend to be not using them. And that is not because they don't want to save money, That is just a stupid assumption.

As i said many times before: as long as they don't have they own design - not established in the pro racing and cost a little less then wheels they done that , i have no credit for them.
And will talk against it if someone compere them to Enkeis and said they are just as good, but cheaper+ why would you buy Enkei's when is Rotas out there.... Fact if you think about it , then really which wheel is a cheap one here, the race proven one or the unproven one for a little less price tag?

Best part usually comes from the guys who doesn't even race. But still, they can miss lead the new comers about race proven wheels. Enkei's are even in F1 -WRC WTCC etc. Fact the stock oem enkeis are good and widely used in the toughest car racing , in the rally with great safety records. Also fact many evo drivers doesn't even looking for other wheels for tarmac events. Rotas are light years behind vs Enkei's in racing history and knowledge - experience. Also in Wheel manufacturing. So get some facts straight here.
Buy the Rotas for what they are, don't buy them what they are not.

press on:
Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 31, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are my credentials:

And here are my two cents:

Everything that has been said with regards to Enkei RPF1's being awesome and extremely widely used by Evos is true.

Nothing about Rota's racing heritage is true.

I have a set of Advan RZ's as my DD wheels, RPF1's are about a pound lighter and .5" wider (for the particular sets I am comparing).

I hit raised aprons 4 or 5 times yesterday and did not even give a single ounce of worry about whether or not my wheel is going to hold up, instead I was focused on how much that's going to throw off my exit speed.

Stop defending Rotas, they are only good for budget show cars. Get 95% of the look at 25% of the price that's all they are designed for. That is it. For that, they are good. Do not put them on any kind of pedestal, especially if that pedestal is anywhere near the pedestal Enkeis, Advans, Volks, etc rest on.

For ****'s sake, look into CCW's for performance, just don't put "Rota" and "track" in the same, positive sentence. It should be a negative sentence with strong emotions

Quick Reply: Rotas for track use.