Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To patch or not to patch.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To patch or not to patch.

so going home, got the tire pressure message, pulled over, and noticed something coming out, don't really know what the hell it is. Called pepboys and they said they can't patch it because it's Performance tires (Yokohoma S Drive's). You can hear it if you get close enough. drove it home and it's just sitting there right now.

Can I patch it?

Should I?

Will buying a new tire cause the balance to go off because of the tread on the other tires vs new ones?

All answers greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.

Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:35 PM

One of my Nittos had a larger hole in them one day when I noticed the light too. I patched it. No problems since. Been a while now; they're stretched too. I wasn't about to buy another tire.

Brought it to the local tire kingdom and had them do it there in 30 mins. Or you can try it yourself. Local auto store will have some kits to plug it.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 02:59 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely patch it, regardless of tire type. I pick up all sorts of debris and always patch. I'd spend about 3k a year in tires if I didn't. I would maybe think about a new tire onnly if I were planning on exceeding the rated speed limit of the tire.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 03:02 AM
Evolving Member

Patching it yourself is really easy and simple too. U can probably find some good how to vids on u tube.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

it looks safe to patch (I worked in a tire shop for 5 years).

But the best place to verify is on the inside.

make sure the whole isn't too big on the inside and also make sure the patch doesn't fold up on the sidewall.

OH and use one of the plug-patch combos. It has a plug that pulls through the hole and a patch on the top of the plug. They really do work the best.

In fact, this is the area I would say is Unrepairable

Last edited by TheBlade; Oct 6, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, you can patch performance tires. I would not race on them, but street use is OK.

You're getting near the edge of the internal belts (2) inside the tire. If near a step-off belt 2 is narrower than belt 1. Might not be able to patch. Make sure patch does not fold at sidewall to tread area.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate the community coming forward and helping a fellow mitsu guy out, I will be getting it patched today.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:16 AM

The other option if you cannot patch is to call tire rack (assuming tire rack caries your brand tire) and have them send you a new tire shaved to match the tread depth of tire you are replacing.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

i put a plug in my yokohama ad08 and raced on them with no problems.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by goevox
i put a plug in my yokohama ad08 and raced on them with no problems.
I don't advise this.

You have spread the belts to insert the plug. Belts panagraph in curing to take on left and right angles (82-96*). Inserting a plug distorts their strength. Belts also get hot. Last thing you want is a belt to separate at track speeds or plug "glue" to melt and blow the plug.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:15 AM

thank GOD!!! im in the same boat and i was littleraly debating buying new tires... and i dont want to.. I went to see progressive yesterday because some one broke into my evo x and we noticed that i had picked up a nail.. ( i had noticed all four tires a little low the day after it was broken into but i actually saw the nail when we were going over the car
Old Oct 7, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

I went to another tire shop, they said they cant do it, it's to close to the "bead" or some ****.

He also said if i replace one, I would have to replace the others because it might **** up the transmission or diff case.

What do I do? I have like 20k miles on the tires, but I swear they look damn near new
Old Oct 8, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Are these shops just looking at the same picture you posted to us or are they unmounting the tire and looking at the inside?

The true best answer of if it's safe or not is to look at the inside. lets say a nail did go in a safe area of the tire, but the bent nail's tip was poking the sidewall, then it would look repairable and not be.

I've seen this happen quite a few times....and I'm wondering if this is a case with yours, where the pic you showed looks safe, but the inside is powered.

What shops have you gone to? What is your tread depths on all your tires?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 09:23 AM

mine isnt intoo the sidewall.. and in fact it bearly went through... so I am going to see if i can have it fixed and then just get some other rims and use them as an alternate.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I would say: Buy one of those Slime tire plug kits from your local Walmart.

The tools look like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Scre...g-Kit/16879925

Plug it, pump it, drive easy on it, and make sure the plug holds/doesn't leak. It sounds to me like most of the shops you are talking to are just salivating at the chance to sell a set of 4 performance tires.

Quick Reply: To patch or not to patch.