Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MR Bilstein shock revalve info

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was gonna do that! But I never did. Look forward to seeing it!

EDIT: actually did we talk about this a while ago? It should be pretty cool. I've done some logging (GPS and accelerometer) with my android but did all my processing on my own off the phone.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jun 7, 2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: asdf
Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:33 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
^--- Yah I think we did talk about it.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is re-valving more for those that are into auto cross and like events? I only daily drive my car, i'm looking into a GTWorx/Bilstein combo. I am trying to determine whether re-valving is worth it for me.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For daily driving, it's not needed and might even be not wanted.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Would the gtworx springs be better daily driven on stock GSR struts or mr bilsteins? How would revalving effect the daily drive aspects of the X?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

I am considering getting gtworx for my MR. I am debating on the revalve. I currently don't track, but I do push the car very hard on back road twisties.

Anyone know how much harsher ride would be? I don't like the idea of mismatched spring dampening, but not sure how much we are talking. I am only concerned because I seen so complaints from folks who did not revalve.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I had a question.

I'm completely new to suspension, so what all is included in the revalve? If I'm looking at a set of used Bilsteins, would it matter how many miles are on them (ie - revalving makes how many miles are on the set irrelvant)?

Long story short, I'm just confused on if I should buy a set with more miles for less money, or less miles and more money
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

First, there's nothing wrong with bringing back an old thread when it's exactly on-point. It's the best thing to do when some useful info is in the old thread.

There are two levels of having your Bilsteins serviced. You can just ask for a rebuild, which will get you new shims and seals, or you can ask for a revalve, which will get you different shims during the rebuild. What you ask for depends on whether you're happy with the default valving. If, for example, you are going to put some stiffer springs on the car, such as the GTWorx Tarmacs or Swift Spec Rs (which are both good choices), you might want to shift the shocks towards more rebound and less bump. Why? Because with more spring you need more rebound to control them, but less bump because the added spring will add more resistance to bump. On the other hand, if you are planning to autocross in A/Stock, you might want more of both, because you can't change the springs. On the third hand (tee hee), if you're planning to rallycross the car, you might ask for less of both.

So, the questions are these: what springs will you be running and what's the main use of the car?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
First, there's nothing wrong with bringing back an old thread when it's exactly on-point. It's the best thing to do when some useful info is in the old thread.

There are two levels of having your Bilsteins serviced. You can just ask for a rebuild, which will get you new shims and seals, or you can ask for a revalve, which will get you different shims during the rebuild. What you ask for depends on whether you're happy with the default valving. If, for example, you are going to put some stiffer springs on the car, such as the GTWorx Tarmacs or Swift Spec Rs (which are both good choices), you might want to shift the shocks towards more rebound and less bump. Why? Because with more spring you need more rebound to control them, but less bump because the added spring will add more resistance to bump. On the other hand, if you are planning to autocross in A/Stock, you might want more of both, because you can't change the springs. On the third hand (tee hee), if you're planning to rallycross the car, you might ask for less of both.

So, the questions are these: what springs will you be running and what's the main use of the car?
Me personally, the car will be mainly a DD, but I hopefully plan to get light track days in (maybe 3 a year) or AutoX if that tickles my fancy. I'm ordering a set of GTWorx springs in the next few days as well.

I wasnt sure if miles driven mattered on the Bilsteins if they were getting revalved anyway. Essentially, should I shoot for a set with less miles, or does it not matter since they will be revalved
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

It doesn't really matter. If they're going to be sent out to be worked on, get whatever set is cheaper.

(Don't know love it when some jerk gives a long-winded and look-at-me-I'm-so-smart answer, instead of the simple response to the actual question....)
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ Depending on the situation, long answers can be preferred. Thanks for all the info!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have thoughts on buying a full set of Penske coilovers, with the proper springs and ride heights on all 4 corners, then having Bilstein match the valving on the shocks, and using a custom coilover kits with identical springs as the Penske's with the perches and the mounts built to mirror the heights that the Penskes are set at.

Use the Bilsteins as primary and the Penskes as backup. That way, if the primary goes bad, it's a cheap replacement.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Prediction: By the time you're done with all that custom work, you'll really wish you just shelled out for OTS Öhlins, since it appears you have the money.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But why Ohlins over the Penskes?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Because they are OTS (off the shelf) and you can have them this spring.

I don't doubt that you could spend the same money and a ton of time to create something slightly better, maybe based on Penskes. My point was that, if you have $20k to blow on suspension, you can have something race-tested and near optimal immediately. No need to reinvent the wheel, as it were.

Quick Reply: MR Bilstein shock revalve info