Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help me pick a tire

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this thread it has changed my mine from hankook v12s to the pilot super sports. For the extra $200 i figure it will be money well spent.

Im getting them in 265/35R18. Do the pilot super sports run wider than the average 265 wide tire?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On a 9.5"-wide wheel, the 265/35/18 Hankook V12, Michelin PSS, Hankook R-S3, and Continental EC DW are all 10.7"-wide at the sidewall, as they should be. (10.7 x 25.4 = 271.8 which is close enough to 265 for them not be lying and it would probably be less than 265 on a 9"-wide wheel)

However, the V12 and EC DW are both only about 9" wide at the tread, while the R-S3 and PSS are both close to 9.5" wide at the tread.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well after talking it over with the local speed shop they got me to order the V12's.
for daily driving they liked the V12's more as they are cheaper, last longer and have less road noise.
I hope I dont regret this :P

Last edited by .Adam; Apr 16, 2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:43 PM

Im hoping you don't regret it either! The soft sidewall steered me away from the v12s. But hey if youre just going to daily drive it then i think its the right tire for the job.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

I had V12's on my Evo VIII and I now have them on my Evo X in 265x35x18 on 18x9.5 + 22 no problems. My friend put them on for free but I think I may have them road force balanced and get an alignment.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

PSS are also good I had them on my C6Z
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by .Adam
Well after talking it over with the local speed shop they got me to order the V12's.
for daily driving they liked the V12's more as they are cheaper, last longer and have less road noise.
I hope I dont regret this :P
Don't mount them. Speed shop gave you terrible advice. I had v12 in my car for a few months, absolutely the worst tire I have had on any of my 3 evos. Just put pilot super sports on yesterday and what a world of difference they make! Awesome tire. Save your money on things like TP, intake, uicp, ect. Not on tires! They are one of the biggest performance changing mods as they are the only thing connecting the car to the road, don't skimp on them. And who cars about road noise?? We drive evos with exhausts, intakes, dv noise ect? I notice no difference in noise between the pss and v12. Rotating your tires regularly and running mild camber will greatly increase you tire life, I bet you get similar life out of thr PSS and v12. I hate it when people spend good money only to be disappointed. Don't make the same mistake I did.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

I appreciate your concern but I've already ordered and paid for the tires so I wont be sending them back. I have read that people say they are fine for daily driving. I mean, were not race car drivers on the streets and if they are better than most if not all All Season tires then I'm sure they will keep me alive on the streets :P
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

They are not only fine for daily driving, but ride a little nicer and tram-line a bit less (both due to the soft sidewall).

And a huge high-five for saying that we're not race-car drivers on the street.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
They are not only fine for daily driving, but ride a little nicer and tram-line a bit less (both due to the soft sidewall).

And a huge high-five for saying that we're not race-car drivers on the street.

Ha, well we are not race car drivers even though these cars make us feel like one at times.

I just thought maybe the SPP's as good as their reviews might be, might be a little too much of a tire for daily driving.

I'll be autoxing my car a handful of times and hell, if I feel the V12's are not cutting it then I'll consider getting a more agressive tire. Until then I'm sure I'll love the tires as they have to be better than the Continental winters I'm riding on right now :P
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I appreciate your concern but I've already ordered and paid for the tires so I wont be sending them back. I have read that people say they are fine for daily driving. I mean, were not race car drivers on the streets and if they are better than most if not all All Season tires then I'm sure they will keep me alive on the streets :P
Oh they are totally fine or daily driving. Going to the grocery store. Dropping off the kids in the rain. But if you want to do something fun with your car you will be disappointed compared to the stock tires. I know you have read but I speak from experience. I live in GA and you don't have to act like a "race car driver" to enjoy spirited drives in the northern areas. GA alo has a really mild climate so PSS might suit my area year round better than canada. My apologies if my last post came across with too much bravado but I just spent $2200 on tires and install when $1200 would have done had I just bought the right tire in the first place. I felt like I bought a high performance vehicle and downgraded the performance by putting worst than stock tires on it. It really pissed me off. You might be really happy with the v12 but I know you would with the PSS. Maybe I'm just putting too much behind my .02, sorry.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be autoxing my car a handful of times and hell, if I feel the V12's are not cutting it then I'll consider getting a more agressive tire.
Oh.

That's different from daily driving.

They are awful for autocrossing.

Really awful.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hikaru
Oh they are totally fine or daily driving. Going to the grocery store. Dropping off the kids in the rain. But if you want to do something fun with your car you will be disappointed compared to the stock tires. I know you have read but I speak from experience. I live in GA and you don't have to act like a "race car driver" to enjoy spirited drives in the northern areas. GA alo has a really mild climate so PSS might suit my area year round better than canada. My apologies if my last post came across with too much bravado but I just spent $2200 on tires and install when $1200 would have done had I just bought the right tire in the first place. I felt like I bought a high performance vehicle and downgraded the performance by putting worst than stock tires on it. It really pissed me off. You might be really happy with the v12 but I know you would with the PSS. Maybe I'm just putting too much behind my .02, sorry.
I actually never got to experience the car with the stock tires. I've only owned the car for a couple months now and it came on winter tires so I'm not missing anything here :P

No offense taken I am worried that I wont enjoy the V12's as I do like to go for spirited drives but if the car just pushes through corners a little vs the back end coming out then I think I would be okay with that. As long as the car doesnt feel horriby disconected that is. I also dont drive that hard on the streets or back roads to even lose traction anyway. This car takes too much speed to cause that to happen and its just not safe on the street IMO. Plus the roads I drive faster on is right on a river and I would hate to lose it and ditch the car in the drink lol.

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Oh.

That's different from daily driving.

They are awful for autocrossing.

Really awful.
Autox for fun, not competition. That and to learn how to push the car. Not for the street. Just to learn really.

Ehh, you guys have me worried about these V12's lol. I just feel that the extra $400 for the SPP might not be worth it based off the amount of spirited dirving/autoxing I'll be doing in this car. To me, so far, this car is much more fun in the winter as you can slide around with ease :P

Last edited by .Adam; Apr 24, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

The problem with autocrossing on V12s is that you have to pump them up to maximum and they still roll over. No matter what, flip the front bolts for full camber.

Last edited by Iowa999; Apr 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Roll over like this?

This was my previous car with Hankook Ventus HR2 all season tires pumped up to 50-60lbs :P

Even with those ****ty tires I had a blast as I dont take autox very serisouly. I just go out to destroy a few cones and have some fun :P

Quick Reply: Help me pick a tire