Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

yet another mystery sound - knocking when car is warm and moving slowly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another mystery sound - knocking when car is warm and moving slowly

I get this noise only once the car is warm and has been driven for a while. It is only noticeable at low speeds, mainly braking or in reverse. Nothing else seems affected: steering, braking etc.

From other threads I have tried the following:
-Spray PTFE on the silver part of the dampers.
- checked for lose wheel arch liner
- tighten strut tower brace nuts

I am at the point where the remaining items are a bit out of my skill set and now i have to take it in to the shop. I don't want them to spend forever working on it and not fixing it so i at least want a list of places for them to check first:
- CV re-torqued or replaced
- top hats on the suspension
- upper plate and bearing
- brake shims

I have recorded the noise. http://www.mediafire.com/folder/tgl0...qo/evo_x_noise

The first recording is while driving and then me going into reverse.

The second recording is when parked and I am rocking up and down in my seat. (Ignore the squeaking noise, that is my *** rubbing on the leather.) Most of the time there is no noise when doing this.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 8OhOh2; Jun 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Please attach the file(s) as a zip or use a thrid-party site (such as YouTube) that doesn't require registration. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Please attach the file(s) as a zip or use a thrid-party site (such as YouTube) that doesn't require registration. Thanks.
Sorry i only pasted 1/2 of the link -- site does not require reg.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I'm stumped. The ticking almost sounds like the noise generator for the turn-signal acting up, but that can't be it. My best guess - based mostly on the rocking-in-my-seat file - is that you have the beginnings of the typical front upper-strut-mount clunk. That's rather frequent.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks. I'm stumped. The ticking almost sounds like the noise generator for the turn-signal acting up, but that can't be it. My best guess - based mostly on the rocking-in-my-seat file - is that you have the beginnings of the typical front upper-strut-mount clunk. That's rather frequent.
Yeah the noise occurs with the turn-signal off.

Well it's in the shop today so we should find out soon enough.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately, if said "shop" is a dealership, your definition of "soon" may need updating. If the knock is a front upper strut-mount starting to go, that is something that dealerships often claim is a normal noise, since corporate doesn't like to replace them for free.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:43 PM

They are claiming the following needs to be replaced:

Problem 1:
4060A290 - STRUT FRONT x2
4060A134 - INSULATOR, FR STRUT x2
4040A077 - SEAT, FR STRUT x2

Problem 2:
3815A208 - SHAFT ASSY, FR AXLE DRIVE, RH x2
3885A009 - NUT, FR AXLE x2

The shaft is covered under warranty so I am going to get that replaced then see how much noise is left over.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

That means they agree with me about the noise, but are being absolutely ridiculous. The only part that you have to replace is 4060A134. That's the strut-mount, which Mitsu calls an "isolator."
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

if it's a lounder clunk when you turn, its a bad CV joint

look behind the wheel at the black rubber boots. If they are leaking or you see grease sprayed out of them, then you have lost a CV boot seal, which cause the grease to leak out, which caused the CV joint to clang from excessive wear.

if it clicks louder/faster as you accelerate, then it's a part failure related to rotation in the wheel. So CV joint, axle, bearing, or something stuck in a tire or brake.

Last edited by ikt@evoxpod.com; Jun 14, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

But the rocking-in-the-seat test is what argues for the strut-mount, not the CV joints.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:46 AM

I am going to have them do the warranty axle work + the strut mount. I will report back.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor

But the rocking-in-the-seat test is what argues for the strut-mount, not the CV joints.
touche!

Originally Posted by 8OhOh2
I am going to have them do the warranty axle work + the strut mount. I will report back.
it's like $100 tops and takes 20 minutes to swap
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:12 PM

I have ordered the top hat(insulator) and seat for the struts on my own. Just waiting for them to come in. As for the warranty axle work the parts have not come in yet. I asked about it today at the stealership and basically they told me that they have no idea when the parts will come in due to the way their system works. They made it clear that it can be a few weeks or over a few months in some cases if back ordered! I am going to call mitsu canada and see if this is normal but WTF!!!!!!!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

hey i was wondering how you went with your car ?

i listened to the sound clips you had, mine really sounds like the first one. i have been battling this issue for a year now and im really thinking its the top insulator/top rubber strut. was it the case for yours ?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by elim0
hey i was wondering how you went with your car ?

i listened to the sound clips you had, mine really sounds like the first one. i have been battling this issue for a year now and im really thinking its the top insulator/top rubber strut. was it the case for yours ?
I will find out in 8 hours

I had the front axel replaced on warranty. This made very little change to the noise. I now have my preferred garage doing the insulator/seats.

Quick Reply: yet another mystery sound - knocking when car is warm and moving slowly