Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Camber plates maxed out, still have excess camber?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber plates maxed out, still have excess camber?

I have the Fortune Auto 500 series Coilovers on my 2010 evo x. I have the camber plates maxed out (trying to add positive camber) but the best I can get the front to is -1.9 degrees of camber.. I have the lower strut bolt with the arrow facing towards the engine on both sides. My car is low, but just as low as a lot of people's. (1 finger gap all around). Can anyone tell me what's wrong or if that's just how it's going to be with having the car that low. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a common fix for issues like this would be either a set of camber bolts... likely already on your car... or to take a drill and stretch the bolt holes...

also i thought the camber bolt was supposed to be on top not the bottom... and whether it face forward or backward isn't important so much as the cam on the bolt itself facing the wheel or the axle... one way it will add camber... the other take it away...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is hilarious.

First, as mentioned above, the eccentric bolt goes in the top hole. When it's in the top hole, dot to the inside is less negative camber, but when you have bolt in the lower hole, the same dot direction adds more negative camber.

Second, the idea that you should slot the ears on the coilover and rely on the friction between the ears and the knuckle to maintain the alignment is nuts. And I say this as someone who has nothing against cutting OE springs, so it's not like I'm a purist.

edit: Third, unless all you do drag-race, -1.9* sounds just about right for a street-driven car that has to make turns. Set the rear to about -1.2*, zero toe all around (or a tad of rear toe-in), and drive the car.

Last edited by Iowa999; Sep 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
This is hilarious.

First, as mentioned above, the eccentric bolt goes in the top hole. When it's in the top hole, dot to the inside is less negative camber, but when you have bolt in the lower hole, the same dot direction adds more negative camber.

Second, the idea that you should slot the ears on the coilover and rely on the friction between the ears and the knuckle to maintain the alignment is nuts. And I say this as someone who has nothing against cutting OE springs, so it's not like I'm a purist.

edit: Third, unless all you do drag-race, -1.9* sounds just about right for a street-driven car that has to make turns. Set the rear to about -1.2*, zero toe all around (or a tad of rear toe-in), and drive the car.
This is a commonly performed procedure in the automotive industry. As a matter of fact, some vehicles come from the factory with slotted frame parts where control arms and other suspension parts can be used to adjust alignment specs. As long as the strut-to-knuckle bolts are properly torqued, there is no issue with slotting the ears further than they already are, although I would recommend limiting how much you do it. Do I recommend this over *properly* installing camber bolts or adjustable mounts, probably not; but I wouldn't say something that is widely performed in the industry is "nuts".
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

The cars that come that way aren't rally-cars, are they? The people who do this to their cars aren't prepping rally-cars, are they?

I would not slot the ears on a fancy coilover if I expected the car to face large lateral g-forces (on pavement) or lateral impacts (on gravel).

Note: those are real questions in the first paragraph (for once); they are not my usual snide and rhetorical nonsense.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since when is a slammed evo a ralley car
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Touché!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
Since when is a slammed evo a ralley car
never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edit: sorry, the bolts are on the top, not the bottom. But ok, I will just run with the -1.9 camber.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

What's surprising to me about this is the following:

If the FA plates go outwards at least as far as the center, which is where the shaft would be with the OE plates, then why do you have almost 2* of camber with the bolts set to 1*?

I know the car is lowered, but I don't think that the bump-camber curve is steep enough to get you the second degree. That's the down-side of struts (for road-racing): a relatively flat bump-camber curve.