Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilovers for spirited DD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Coilovers for spirited DD

Yes yes, I know, search, etc. But a lot of what I found was either outdated or an extreme (people wanting coilovers that felt like OEM, posts from 2008, people that wanted them for track, that were never going to track, wrong price range, etc), none with my specific situation.

So here's what I need in a coilover:
  • $2000 max.
  • Needs to be in stock (drop shipped is fine too) from where ever I order it from (ships within 24 hours, expedited shipping available).
  • Car is my daily driver 99% of the time.
  • Planning to track maybe 2-3 times a year tops. Not a priority.
  • Looking mostly at spirited back roads driving, PA mountains and valleys.
  • 1" drop at most, I care more about the performance aspect of this than the looks aspect
  • Stiffer than OEM is fine, I don't need a super soft ride, but not looking for super stiff either.
  • I have no brand preferences.

Basically, I want to go around non-blind corners faster and have a more planted feel. This is the first I've looked at coilovers, I've never even ridden in a car with them, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Any help is appreciated.

I was looking at the HKS Hipermax Max IV coilovers since the III's seemed liked for DD, but was wondering if there was anything better since I have a bit more money.

Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, as well as a lot of people on the forum here have Fortune Auto coilovers. In my opinion they are good budget coilovers and customizable to your needs. They come in 8k/8k springs (recommended for DD) but I went 9k/9k for a little more stiff. This is also my DD car and the ride is not to harsh.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 03:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
With your criteria, don't get coilovers. GTWorx or Swift springs and bigger swaybars (can just do adjustable front bracket to start with).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
With your criteria, don't get coilovers. GTWorx or Swift springs and bigger swaybars (can just do adjustable front bracket to start with).
agree, but I am running the eibach pro kit and I like it. Never had a problem with them.
Swaybars.. don't know the driving skills, but can be tricky for starters.

but I agree with Dallas, don't buy coils under 2k. I would go with ohlins about $2700 you can get them . Those are the ones which worth to spend money on as a starter .
Rob
Old Dec 16, 2015, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Insurance is paying. That's the money I fabricated out of thin air (read: went aftermarket on some stuff). 1 strut needs replaced, so I figured coilovers.

If you guys can't recommend anything better for the price point it'll be the HKS ones. I don't need anything super fancy, it's a DD 99% of the time. I know stiffening the chassis will add a lot to handling, I plan to do that over time.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
its not about being fancy... If something HKS does sounds fancy in the evo.
Its about , ride quality - handling- reliability - longevity and resale value.

If anything the Ohlins is the best of both world. It stumps on cheapo ($2000 and under) coilovers in daily driving segment.

You see, on track hars ride doesn't really feels and translate that much as it does when you on public road, driving slower speed. There in those conditions you really notice difference between coilovers. We not even start talking about pot holes bumps , snow bumps, etc..

You will make a biggest difference in handling with a good coilvers and great tires. Stiffening the chassis its way far ahead in my opinion.

You can literally ruin your DD experience with cheap coils.

Many many people believes strongly stiffer is faster and better. Specially since the car feels more "planted". Sadly with cheap coilovers that is NOT the case.

The purchase becomes the lose - lose - lose situation.
Lose no1 less handling
lose no2 less comfortable ride
lose n3 you will eventually get rid of them so its a lost money
and I can go on.

Perhaps this is my PERSONAL opinion, and I hope at least makes you think before buy anything lesser then about the $2500 level of coilovers like Ohlins or the others.

I hope you don't take it a wrong way

Rob
Old Dec 17, 2015, 07:26 AM

I havent installed them yet but I picked up a set of tein street flex coilovers recently. I have read pretty decent things about them they usually retail for $1500 you can get them on sale now for 1117.50 from a few retailers and if you buy from MAPerformance right now if youre a member you can get an additional 10% off bringing you down to 1005.75, $500 off isnt a bad deal if you ask me.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
You can get a new set of Ohlins R&T for about $2400 shipped. If you really cannot come up with the extra $400, just stay with the stock suspension. You can find single struts from salvage cars and part outs.

Coilovers have to periodically be serviced/rebuilt (usually between 10-50K miles depending on use). If you do go with a Japanese coilover (like HKS) hake sure there is some place in the States to service them when needed. I do not think HKS USA rebuilds coilovers, but I could be wrong.

If you do go with a sub 2K coilover, I would say go Fortune Auto or Tein in that order.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by nemsin
You can get a new set of Ohlins R&T for about $2400 shipped. If you really cannot come up with the extra $400, just stay with the stock suspension. You can find single struts from salvage cars and part outs.

Coilovers have to periodically be serviced/rebuilt (usually between 10-50K miles depending on use). If you do go with a Japanese coilover (like HKS) hake sure there is some place in the States to service them when needed. I do not think HKS USA rebuilds coilovers, but I could be wrong.

If you do go with a sub 2K coilover, I would say go Fortune Auto or Tein in that order.
^+1
You get what you pay for basically. And if anything, Coilovers are something you DO NOT want to go cheap on. Buy Cheap Buy Twice applies here more than your average car part. Wait a few more months and save up 400$-500$ and buy Ohlins or KWs. It will be worth it!

But if you absolutely cant, go with FAs or Teins I guess. Just stay away from BCs and Megans or whatever else crap like that out there.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
be careful with assuming that ohlins are "the best" for a street car. most high performance shocks like ohlins aren't designed to last a long time and the seals go bad much sooner than a coilover meant for daily driving
Old Jan 4, 2016, 07:50 AM

DO NOT GET FORTUNE AUTO.. I have seen their off the shelf shock dynos and their adjustments are about 1.3lbs per click for the front. 32 clicks? thats like 35lbs of adjustment per corner. Get Stance Pro Comp 2s if you want. They are equivalent to Ohlins for a lot less $$. You can even call Stance and ask for a comparison of the 2.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 01:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just wait a little longer and buy a more superior product ftw!!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
saxon
be careful with assuming that ohlins are "the best" for a street car. most high performance shocks like ohlins aren't designed to last a long time and the seals go bad much sooner than a coilover meant for daily driving
Really I haven't read any reviews like that.