Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Revalved Bilstein/Swift Spec R ???s

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Revalved Bilstein/Swift Spec R ???s

Hey Guys, haven't posted much but decided on a suspension set up that meets my needs for the right price.

Found a shop still revalving Bilstein struts for a reasonable price now that Bilstein has quit (pm if you want details), and am pairing them with Swift Spec R springs.

That being said, I'm trying to shore up any gaps in my knowledge. Is anything required outside of front camber bolts and lower control arms in the back to be able to adjust camber and maintain suspension geometry?

Is an RCK required/recommended at that level of drop? What about endlinks (stock sways for now)? And is any cutting required of the bump stops?

Thanks in advance guys, and please let me know if I need to consider anything else (other than harsh ride ha!).
Old Mar 10, 2016, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,325 Posts
RCK is always recommended for lowered car. The car comes with 2 position camber bolts up front. I would skip aftermarket ones and get camber plates, they can be had for about $300 and will be full adjustable. Or set your stock camber bolts for the higher (more negative) camber setting and if it's within a few tenths left-right, I would just run it. No need for end links on stock sways. You shouldn't need to cut bump stops. I would also look into the rear trailing arm busing, and the front control arm rear bushing.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Are you decided on the Swift Spec R's? Spec-R's are a good off the shelf spring for stock bilsteins, but if you are going to have custom valving, why not get the spring rates you want. GTworx could likely get you any spring rate, and height, springs you want for the same price. http://www.gtworx.com/
Old Mar 10, 2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
RCK is always recommended for lowered car. The car comes with 2 position camber bolts up front. I would skip aftermarket ones and get camber plates, they can be had for about $300 and will be full adjustable. Or set your stock camber bolts for the higher (more negative) camber setting and if it's within a few tenths left-right, I would just run it. No need for end links on stock sways. You shouldn't need to cut bump stops. I would also look into the rear trailing arm busing, and the front control arm rear bushing.
I have flipped the fronts on stock ride height, not sure what camber will be after the drop. Thanks for the rest of the advice.

Originally Posted by nemsin
Are you decided on the Swift Spec R's? Spec-R's are a good off the shelf spring for stock bilsteins, but if you are going to have custom valving, why not get the spring rates you want. GTworx could likely get you any spring rate, and height, springs you want for the same price. http://www.gtworx.com/
Funny, I emailed back and forth with GTworx and they didn't mention anything about that service, really surprised if it's that simple. I got the Spec R's for a great price though, so I'll stick with them and this set up for a while. Or I'll email GTworx and see what they'll do. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
So if your not going to use different spring rates then what was the point of getting them revalved?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nazarite
I'll email GTworx and see what they'll do. Thanks!
If GTworx can't source you the spring rates you want (which I suspect they can), try these guys http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/ They have plenty of experience revalving bilsteins and pairing them with custom spring rates.
The following users liked this post:
Nazarite (Mar 11, 2016)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
So if your not going to use different spring rates then what was the point of getting them revalved?
I am using different springs rates...Swift Spec R vs stock springs. I'm revalving Bilsteins to match the Swift Spec Rs.

If GTworx can't source you the spring rates you want (which I suspect they can), try these guys http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/ They have plenty of experience revalving bilsteins and pairing them with custom spring rates.
FCM does good work, he also wants $1100-1500 to revalve. Might as well get Ohlins at that point.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well right but there spring rates are pretty low and prolly would have been fine on stock shocks. But I guess I was thinking from a handling perspective you would want a much higher spring rate, but I guess I don't really know what your intention is lol, either way good luck!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

No I am right there with you hoobastnk90. I do not see the point in revalving bilsteins just to run spec-r's (which really were designed to be used with the stock bilstein valving). If you are going to pay for custom valving, pair it with the spring rates "you" want.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Well right but there spring rates are pretty low and prolly would have been fine on stock shocks. But I guess I was thinking from a handling perspective you would want a much higher spring rate, but I guess I don't really know what your intention is lol, either way good luck!
No I am right there with you hoobastnk90. I do not see the point in revalving bilsteins just to run spec-r's (which really were designed to be used with the stock bilstein valving). If you are going to pay for custom valving, pair it with the spring rates "you" want.
I understand now. I've reached out to GTWorx, I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 04:46 PM

Turns out GTWorx does no such thing. They recommended I buy Ohlins instead ha. Said there is no good profile for a revalve that is proven.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nazarite
Turns out GTWorx does no such thing. They recommended I buy Ohlins instead ha. Said there is no good profile for a revalve that is proven.
No such thing as revalved Bilsteins? Or no such thing as custom spring rates for the stock bilsteins?

Swift Spec-R are F: 6.4 kg/mm R: 6.8 kg/mm (which is pretty soft for the track)
http://www.swiftsprings.net/products...ct/spec-r.html

I have a hard time believing that someone (Tein/Eibach/Hyperco/Robispec) doesnt offer something stiffer that will fit the stock bilsteins.

Last edited by nemsin; Mar 13, 2016 at 10:04 AM.