Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Changing tire size on awc lancers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing tire size on awc lancers

Afternoon everyone, I just got off an unpleasant phone call with Mitsubishi about using different tire sizes than oem. I was told when i purchased the car I could use tires that were close to the same diameter as the original tires, and now after I bought the car, they are telling me this voids the warranty. What I want to know is if the lancer se awc can be fitted with 235/40r18 or 225/40r18 tires or if it would be a problem. First time posting, so im a complete newb, Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see what the problem would be. There's less then a 10% difference in those sizes I imagine. Unless you have multiple tires with different sizes, as long as they all match I don't see how they could say something like that. As long as they are all the same size that should not present an issue for mechanical failures. Unless the owners manual states it specifically,
The following users liked this post:
silverdog25 (Apr 18, 2018)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 03:16 PM

Yeah in the manual it states "Avoid using different size tires from the one listed and the combined use of different types of tires, as this can affect driving safety." which imho is ridiculous, its very hard to find 215 45r18 tires, and when you do find them theyre always much more expensive than the 225 or 235 40r18 tires. I was told that Mitsubishi would have to prove that the larger tires broke the system whether it be the awc system or anything else. The lady at the dealership told me it could cause binding, although I dont see how as long as all of the wheels are the same size. If anyone with an awc lancer has different sized tires, id appreciate the feedback.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 03:18 PM

Yea that sounds like a cop-out and an easy out to get out of honoring their warranty. What's the vehicle in for anyways?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 03:25 PM

Nothing yet, the stock tires are terrible, the dunlop sp 5000m, I think those are the oems for the ralliart to. I wanted to see how much a good set of summers would be. When I bought my car they told me I could use 16 inch rims and the 205 60r16 snow tires I had on my old lancer, a 2014 es, except after I buy the car, then "Oh yeah that voids the warranty though". They even offered to sell me the 16 inch rims before mentioning the voided warranty. I had a 2014 lancer es fwd, I put a sri, catback, intake header, and tune, leaned out the car. I bought it used from mitsu as one of their old loaner cars, beat up fuel pump and injectors couldnt keep up from what i'm told, people destroyed it by cold revving, improper maintenance, etc.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 03:37 PM

Yeah it's not like you're slamming it on it's "nutz" and extreme cambering the set up. +1 or -1 tire size shouldn't have an impact on it. What a joke. Sorry to hear about the troubles, keep us updated.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 04:02 PM

I will, it doesnt make me happy, in my immediate family we've owned, a 2014 lancer es that fell apart, a 2015 outlander sport where the cvt8 transmission died, twice, a 2016 outlander with an ecu recall where the tranny thinks its slipping even though its not, and a 2017 lancer se awc where they offered to put the 16 inch tires on for free so long as I bought the wheels there, and never mentioned a thing about the warranty being voided. Some mitsu dealerships are great, and other ones would do anything to get money from you at the service center, disappointing really.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 04:06 PM

Indeed. The cookie crumbles in all different sorts of ways. I had a 2016 Lancer ES. A 2016 Outlander GT, a 2001 Montero Sport, and now a 2013 Ralliart. Never any issues until 59k and my oil pan is leaking, not covered under warranty for whatever reason, come to find out they misdiagnosed it and the rear main is leaking. Needless to say I'm dealing with Mitsu Consumer Affairs as of right now.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 04:18 PM

Oh damn, its not covered under warranty because Mitsubishi doesn't want it to be. That's crazy though, a 2013 should not be having problems like that. The 2016 lancer es is a fairly nice car, for a slow 2.0 with fwd. I thought that the ralliart would have less problems since its the same 4b11 as the evo except running less boost, should make it more reliable not less, cant figure that one out. Obviously you've been putting miles on it so the seal didn't dry out. Mitsubishi you've done it again, you've surprised me in the worst of ways. Actually with my 2014, no shop could even tell what was wrong with it, I was told to assume it was something with the injectors or fuel pump, but no one knew. I sold it back to Mitsubishi, and they've already had to replace the cvt with a manual, cause the rpm's would stick around 3500 rpm for a few seconds than start moving up, they had to replace the fuel pump, injectors, intake, trunk (down-force spoiler bolted on). I already don't feel too bad about that. Good luck with that by the way, Mitsubishi should honor their warranty especially since that's practically all they advertise on their cars. Hey we have the longest warranty, good luck using it.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 07:06 AM

Yea pretty much, the advisor gave me no good reason as to why the oil pan gasket wouldn't be covered under powertrain warranty other then, Mitsubishi won't assist. So, I've been a technician for 8 years an advisor for 3 years, and now work for an extended warranty company. For the life of me I want to ream them so bad. Because I know how warranty claims work, I dealt with Nissan warranty every day for 10 years. Boggles my mind, might be a local dealer issue, refusing to receive penny pay for hard labor.