Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Best mods to keep stock drivability, or increase drivability+speed?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2005, 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best mods to keep stock drivability, or increase drivability+speed?

I know with my SRT-4 almost any mod i have done or can do causes drivability problems, or at some point becomes annoying.

Take for instance a WGA + MBC. Drivability is over and done. 1/4 throttle boosting 10psi is rediculously annoying.

Or a BOV- cool for a few weeks, annoying as HELL after. Never doing another bov that vents to the atmosphere.

Or a CAI- happen to rub on wires, causing the ignition fuse to blow sending me to cruise into a parking lot with no power to anything. Fortunately i wasnt on a highway or turning. Also couldn't drive in the rain- annoying.

Now, i know there are a few good flashes for the EVO, i am curious which has the best drivability. I dont want 10psi at 1/4 throttle or anything like that, i want near stock drivability or better.

The only 2 good mods i had actually enjoyed on the SRT was sway bars and a short throw shifter.

What other mods would people recommend? A quite TBE? Rear sway?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:09 AM

Sheesh, that's alot of problems. I think the first mod should be a TBE. I recomend the Buschur or RNR setups. Both very high quality. I run the high flow cat, but you can also go with the test pipe...your call. After that, i would recomend a manual boost controller(and a gauge, of course), such as a Dejon or Hallman Pro. This will give ya a nice boost (no pun intended) in power. Most people will tell you not to get an intake because they can cause idling problems, although i've never had an problems with mine. As far as flashes, i personally would recomend getting one. I recomend having an AFC tunned by a reputable shop. I know too many people who had problems with flashes for me to think that its a good idea. Although I hear TurboTrix is really good. The only problem with the flash is an obvious one...more mods=reflash, which can take a good amount of time. Cams are also nice to have. Most people recomend just running 272/272. 99% of the people I know running these, run them on the street and they definetly give you nice power when tunned. Idle is lumpy, but doesn't bother me. If it bothers you, go with the 264/273 setup. So in a nutshell...

.TBE
.Manual Boost Controller
.wallbro 255 fuel pump
. injectors (depending on who you ask, then can help. I personally don't think they are worth it)
. SAFC
. HKS or GSC or Buddy Club cams

With a well tuned AFC, you should be right in the range of 310-320 whp (with an 05 Evo, of course). If you have an 03, then probably in the range of 300-310. This variation is because the 05 Evo come with the larger turbine It really varies, but keep in mind there are also many MR's running this setup with 340 whp.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Nice, thanks for the reply. Have a few questions-

With an MBC, will it cause similar drivability problems as it did with the SRT? As in, too much boost with too little gas? Can i still do 1/2, 3/4ths throttle without getting full boost?

Also- with a reflash, cant i get a whole new ecu so i can switch it out before taking the evo for warranty stuff?

And for cams, everyone seems to recommend those however i would like to know which cams provide really good low end torque for improved drivability and faster spool. Which would you recommend for that?

Thanks

Hypnoz
Old Jun 10, 2005, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) 3” Turbo-back exhaust with ceramic coated down pipe (keeps heat in and away from oil sump), hi-flow cat, resonated mid pipe and axle back muffler from WORKS.
2) XEDE from Vishnu.
(Optional but recommended, Walbro fuel pump).

Done.

This will give you between 20-50 more HP, a bunch more torque and driveability will be improved as a bonus (exhaust noise will be louder, but zero drone and acceptable).

When the Vishnu autotuning becomes available, you could upgrade and then you don’t even need a custom tune anymore, your car will self tune itself for optimum performance.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Will that exhaust get annoying ever? I would prefer to remain close to stock, but just a lower note.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

curb feelers
Old Jun 10, 2005, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Will that exhaust get annoying ever? I would prefer to remain close to stock, but just a lower note.
That I do not know.

But, with the WORKS system (unlike all / most), you could also leave your stock muffler on if you want to make the trade-off for quieter vs performance.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 03:31 PM

I'm not so sure about the Vish exhaust sounding like stock...i know Espelir has a very quiet exhaust, if not the most quiet. I would know, i owned it. But the bottom line is that no matter what TBE setup you get, their will be a change in exhaust note. You can get an axle-back exhaust from buschur that is supposed to be uber quiet, but that's pretty much only a muffler swap system. Also, an MBC won't cause a problem like you had with the SRT. I've never heard of any problems like that on an evo. I have an MBC and it's done nothing but good things. As far as separate ECU, AEM EMS is a full ECU replacement, but that's in the $1000+ range. With the AFC, you can just unplud the harness, and plug back in the old one and your back to stock. Hope this info helps
Old Jun 10, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks ipifiny.

So i think i'll just TBE, a reflash (or SAFC), MBC, Fuel pump, and possibly a cam though not sure.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 05:42 PM

To maintain driveability - leave it stock.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

If you're planning just those basic mods, I think the fuel pump is not mandatory. With cams though, you might need one, I'm not sure about that. Oh and if you want a quiet BOV, go with the MR DV. It's a genuine Mitsu product and it holds boost real well compared to the stock plastic one. All I have at this point is: HKS 30th anniversary catback - louder than stock, but considered a quiet exhaust, Hallman Pro RX MBC - Holds boost till redline and no drivability problem, Evo MR DV - No problems and holds good boost, and some gauges and spark plug cables and a lot of dress ups. I would recommend all of these products as it sounds like they fit your wants/needs.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Forget those other guys. They're on the right track for nice power, but if I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to retain a near stock feel to your car. Go with Buschur's Stage 0 kit. Check it out here: http://www.buschurracing.com/EVO_Econo_Stage0.html.

That kit will still make some really nice power, but it's also very low maintenance much like stock.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey

When the Vishnu autotuning becomes available, you could upgrade and then you don’t even need a custom tune anymore, your car will self tune itself for optimum performance.
i'll for SURE be looking forward to that day when it comes out
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Spend the money on going to track days and race driving courses-lessons. This will affect drivability in a really good way.

Get some good gauges.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Gauges aren't mods in my book.

If i wanted gauges with no mods done to the car i'd be driving a civic hatch. I've considered saving for a performance driving school, would be very helpful and tons of fun im sure