Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Which wideband o2 should I get?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meh.. yeah i thought that the zeitronix would be too small of a display to warn me of the conditions unless i would be datalogging.. but i thouhgt that the innovate would be a good toss up since it has peak hold and datalogging capability on the standalone unit

question.. but is egt reading really necessary on having meth? and why??
Old Jul 7, 2006, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

EGT is vital for those people running high boost and meth.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 09:49 AM

One point I found interesting when researching widebands is that the Bosch sensor has a response rate of about 10Hz. This could explain why the majority of wideband controllers have their data output rate in that same neighborhood.

In terms of the NTK sensor, (if I understood FJO's main tech guy correctly) the FJO software is pretty much only limited to your computer's speed. A new XP-powered P4 laptop could see output rates of around ~100 - 120 samples/sec while an old dinosaur like your average Thinkpad T20 might be closer to 20 - 40 samples/sec (where each sample contains a time stamp, RPM, 2-AFR, 2-AUX, and a status string of diagnostic info).

If you are looking to use ECUFlash, EvoScan, and the EvoScan Log Reader and rarely use leaded fuel, I would choose between the Innovate and the Zeitronix because you know they will be supported. Other widebands may or may not be. If you want leaded fuel or a bulletproof sensor, go with the FJO or the higher end PLX (you must specify you want an NTK sensor before you purchase so they can configure it properly). [Edit]One nice thing about the Innovate, Zeitronix, and FJO setups in that application is the ability to buy the controller seperate from the display if you choose to.[/edit]

This thread may be worth reading since it is ECUFlash specific.

Originally Posted by Itchy
That may be worth it's own thread, but you will find conflicting opinions on this. Some tuners will say it's a must-have. Others will tell you they threw their EGT gauge out years ago. Still others will tell you it's nice to have - especially if you can run a 4-channel controller and have one for each cylinder - but it's not required.

Last edited by ScrappyJack; Jul 7, 2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchy
meh.. yeah i thought that the zeitronix would be too small of a display to warn me of the conditions unless i would be datalogging.. but i thouhgt that the innovate would be a good toss up since it has peak hold and datalogging capability on the standalone unit

The display is more than adequate size. I have less than 20/20 vision and have no gripes about the display. Without seeing one in person don't make the prejudgement mistake.

If it is the warning you are worried about, the ZAVT has a bright LED and annoying audio siren if your programmed thresholds are reached. No need to take your eyes off the road with that feature.

I agree the thread would be very long winded with EGT discussion, however basically EGT tells you a lot about the health and condition of the meth injection system.

1. Adequate volume
2. Clog Nozzle
3. Power failure
4. Insufficient flow (works but low pressure)
5. line leak
6. Inadequate tuning
and so on.

They all lead to high egts. High EGTs lead to detonation. Detonation leads to bearing compression and spun bearings= hole in your block. Piston cracking, electrode splattering are other ways the motor can fail on alky injection.

Tune with no EGT?

AFR's look good
Boost 30psi
Inadequate pump pressure (failing or intermittent pump) Who the hell knows?

EGT's 925*C> will indication a problem with the meth system 9/10 times.

With the ZAVT failsafe, it can be programmed to switch maps (AEM or MAFTPro) to a richer, lower boost map or can trigger a wastegate pressure solenoid (add-on) that will bypass boost direct to the WGA to open it and give you 11-13 psi (depending on WGA used).
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

The ZT2 display is much improved.
It's best at night, when I like to prowl.

What about the slow Sample rate of the Bosch Sensor ?

Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

I like my AEM but I hate the fact that it cant log. Is there a way to take the Zeitronix LCD out of the display case and mount it flush somewhere readable? Maybe stock MR gauge area with a piece of CF covering everything but the LCD? That would be pretty slick.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by pog0
I like my AEM but I hate the fact that it cant log. Is there a way to take the Zeitronix LCD out of the display case and mount it flush somewhere readable? Maybe stock MR gauge area with a piece of CF covering everything but the LCD? That would be pretty slick.
It fits in the cubby hole like it was designed to do so.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm gonna be flush mounting the whole display in a din plate where the stereo goes and moving the stereo down to the cubby using the radio relocation kit.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 08:01 PM
Account Disabled

You better post up pics of that stealth ZEITRONIX install when you get it done.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

That would be awesome if there was a steering column pod for the Zeitronix.

I'll most likely mount it on the column like so...

Old Jul 8, 2006, 07:15 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...+display+mount
Old Jul 8, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are my two cents on the subject. From reading about the Z unit and using the innovate unit here are the good and the bad:

1. The innovate can log w/o a lap top. I am talking about the LM-1 and not the LC-1. I do not know if the LC-1 can log w/o a lap top. Please tell me if it can. The Z unit needs a lap top or a PDA to make it log. This is one of the main things that made me keep my LM-1 and not get the Z unit. I like to log whenever I see open on ramp or road ahead of me and I do not want to carry a lap top all the time to do that.

The LM-1 can also be hooked up to a lap top and delivers live data via a six gauge display on Logworks.

2. The Z unit has a much higher display rate than the LM-1, but both have similar internal sample rates from what I read.

3. The Z unit can only use the Bosch sensor. The LM-1 can use the Bosch and the NTK. The Bosch unit is a good unit, but I read that the NTK is far better.

4. The Z unit can only use the AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor. With the LM-1 you can use any MAP sensor you want as long as you calibrate it (see me sig on how to do that). It is improtant to have more than one option on the MAP sensors becuase if you have a car that is boosting 14 psi and you use a 3.5 bar, then the sensor is not as effective as a 2 bar sensor.

5. The Z unit is cheaper than the LM-1.

6. The LM-1 has wom the Sema award, the Z unit did not.

7. The software on the LM-1, Logworks, blows away the software of the Z unit. Search under my name and you can see the charts/tables that I have posted from the LM-1. It is really really good.

8. There are way more add ons to the LM-1 than to the Z unit. I recently added the XD-16 and I am amazed by it. You can configure the XD-16 to measure many differen parameters. I set mine to measure boost with peak hold at 21.5 psi and warning if the AFR goes above 12 and boost goes above 22 at the same time. The nice thing about the XD-16 is that I can trigger the LM-1 to record from it. So now I have the LM-1 removed to the tunnel in the back between the rear passangers.

I have also added the the AFR analog display which can be made to light maber just like the dash on the EVO.

9. The Mustang Dyno uses the Innovate LM-1 to read the AFR. I figure if it is good enough for the Mustang Dyno, it is good enough for me.

10. Ecuflash says that they are in the process of integrating the Innovate into their software. I do not know the details or if it is going to happen. If this happens that will make the innovate "plug and play" wit the Ecuflash.

11. Customer support is much better with the Innovate. The Z makers can only be reached by e-mail and they respond fairly quickly. The innovate people can be reached by phone, e-mail and on the Innovate forums. I have used the Innovate forums and they are fantastic. The person who runs the forums is Klaus Almendinger, Innovate VP of engineering. This guy is so knowledgeable, witty, and respectful. I talked to him in person and we had a 20 min conversation where he explained to me the issue of blown sparks.

Last edited by nj1266; Jul 8, 2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Did you see the third party offering for Innovative " Pocket Dials " ?
http://69.196.149.171/bradatech_corp...ocketdials.asp

Here's the sample clip.
http://69.196.149.171/bradatech_corp...ocketDials.wmv

Impressive but expensive.

Old Jul 8, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The display is more than adequate size. I have less than 20/20 vision and have no gripes about the display. Without seeing one in person don't make the prejudgement mistake.

If it is the warning you are worried about, the ZAVT has a bright LED and annoying audio siren if your programmed thresholds are reached. No need to take your eyes off the road with that feature.

I agree the thread would be very long winded with EGT discussion, however basically EGT tells you a lot about the health and condition of the meth injection system.

1. Adequate volume
2. Clog Nozzle
3. Power failure
4. Insufficient flow (works but low pressure)
5. line leak
6. Inadequate tuning
and so on.

They all lead to high egts. High EGTs lead to detonation. Detonation leads to bearing compression and spun bearings= hole in your block. Piston cracking, electrode splattering are other ways the motor can fail on alky injection.

Tune with no EGT?

AFR's look good
Boost 30psi
Inadequate pump pressure (failing or intermittent pump) Who the hell knows?

EGT's 925*C> will indication a problem with the meth system 9/10 times.

With the ZAVT failsafe, it can be programmed to switch maps (AEM or MAFTPro) to a richer, lower boost map or can trigger a wastegate pressure solenoid (add-on) that will bypass boost direct to the WGA to open it and give you 11-13 psi (depending on WGA used).
i know this subject can be argued in many ways.. the only thing that actually stops me from getting an egt gauge would be the fact that the sensor is prone to breaking off due to the excessive heat caused by the manifold.. so if this happens it will damage your turbo..
but what i would consider would possibily be a better probe (if there is something more resistant then the usual bosch) or place it within the downpipe, but by doing this, it will cause a false reading.. so if i did place it in the downpipe and i do believe i will get meth. would it still be benificial for me or take the risk with the bosch or another brand sensor?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Placing the EGT probe in the exhaust manifold would seem risky allthough
I've never heard of anyone having a problem. The EGT probe that came with
my Zeitronix looks like a small tipped good quality unit.
( I'm not sure of the brand ).

I still might install the EGT in the test pipe or HFC right after the down pipe.

Quick Reply: Which wideband o2 should I get?