Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hello All

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All

New guy here. Now while I don't personally own an Evo, my friend does and I check the sites regularly to update him with info. He has an 03 Silver Evo 8, which he just purchased last Tuesday. All stock except for a BOV which seems to be giving him problems as far as an SES light (rich code). Car also bucks at 6000rpms in every gear. I've been told by another Evo owner that the BOV wrecks havok on the MAF and just to take it off. If anyone here has any advice, please speak up.

As for me, I have a 2000 Camaro Z28 with some mods done: stall, cam, full exhaust. Not too much as of yet but it is somewhere in the 11s since the best I did before the cam and headers was 12.2. I'm also a regular on LS1TECH with the same screenname, feel free to drop by and say hello.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Let me guess, he has an HKS? Tell him to at least get the recirculating kit for it. I would suggest he sell it, if he does in fact have the SSQV. Get either a JDM MR DV, a Forge RS, or an APS. No matter which one he has it should be recirculated, or it will wreak havok on the car just like you stated.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

why in the WORLD would get a BOV as ur first mod?? God ppl get Evos and dont kno wat their doin. Gettin a BOV without tunin will mess up the MAF. Get a tbe, flash, mbs ( set him up good)

I find it hard to believe ur Camaro does 11's with those mods?
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

It sounds like his Evo may have come with the BOV already installed. He just got it last tuesday. If he did in fact buy it as his first mod, then he sure didn't waste any time in messing it up.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by EvoJutsu
why in the WORLD would get a BOV as ur first mod?? God ppl get Evos and dont kno wat their doin. Gettin a BOV without tunin will mess up the MAF. Get a tbe, flash, mbs ( set him up good)

The car already had the BOV on it when he got it. He hasn't done any mods to it as of yet because I told him to get used to the car first and to also see if any gremlins arise.

I have a vid of one of my 12.2 runs. My mods were only stall, lid, catback and nitto drag radials. The car dynoed 313 to the wheels with those mods. I can post the vid on here if you would like to see it.
The cam is a pretty big cam for an auto, tuning was a pain. And I also have long tube headers with an off road Y pipe. Dynoed with the way it is now and it currently sits at 365rwhp. Yes the car is in the 11s. I'm guessing 11.6-11.7 at around 115-116mph in the quarter. My previous best was 12.26 @ 111.7mph before the cam and headers.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Roarin 8
He hasn't done any mods to it as of yet because I told him to get used to the car first and to also see if any gremlins arise.
Sound advice, but once he starts it's a never ending battle of common sense vs. the need to go faster.

Does he not have internet access? He really should ge on here and start looking around.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:40 PM

He has internet access but he's busy with the family and work so it's a bit harder for him to get online and look around. I told him to register with the site before he got the car and I registered 2 days after he got the car and he still hasn't done so. Maybe seeing this thread will help motivate him.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:53 AM

Ok he registered and is just waiting to be able to post, his screenname is chasedalanevo
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:20 PM

hey guys ... roarin8 was poasting for me cuz i just registered this weekend and couldnt post . well im here now . the bov came with the car, i dont even know what kind it is . im going to put on a stock bov and make sure i get no more ses light. once everything is cool going to start the mods. im just starting to learn about the car so any info u guys can give would be helpful. thanks
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

What does the BOV look like that's currently on your car? I wouldn't suggest putting on a stock 8 BOV because those suck. They're made out of plastic and don't hold boost as well.

If your BOV isn't some ebay crap then I would suggest getting a recirculating kit for it. That should cure your driving ills.

Have you actually looked at it, and can't tell what it is? Or have you just heard it? Pop your hood and check it out. Either describe it, or maybe there's a name on it.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing wrong with putting on the stock 8 BOV just to get his car running right. It works great, but it just doesn't hold high boost that well. No big deal. Just get that installed and go from there. My suggestion for your mod path is in my sig. Go with that combo of parts first to get the most bang for your buck.

313whp on a car that weight is quite unlikely to trap ~112mph. It's also not likely to go from low-to-mid 100mph traps to 112 with just a cat-back and lid. Sure you didn't have anything else to go so much faster than stock?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roarin_8
The car already had the BOV on it when he got it. He hasn't done any mods to it as of yet because I told him to get used to the car first and to also see if any gremlins arise.

I have a vid of one of my 12.2 runs. My mods were only stall, lid, catback and nitto drag radials. The car dynoed 313 to the wheels with those mods. I can post the vid on here if you would like to see it.
The cam is a pretty big cam for an auto, tuning was a pain. And I also have long tube headers with an off road Y pipe. Dynoed with the way it is now and it currently sits at 365rwhp. Yes the car is in the 11s. I'm guessing 11.6-11.7 at around 115-116mph in the quarter. My previous best was 12.26 @ 111.7mph before the cam and headers.
Sorry there is no way your car is in the 11's. I raced 3 SS camaros and 4 z28's all of them were in my rear view on the FREEWAY! Some of those cars I KO when I was completely stock. So if they couldnt hang on the freeway then they sure as hell wont hang in a 1/4 especially if I myself am running high 11's with my set of mods in my sig.

The last z28 that ran at qualcomm which is a 1/8mile it was modded pretty good it even had a data logger with his laptop it was only running like 8.9 @ 78mph.

You are prolly looking at a mid to high 13sec car.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also you say you have around 365rwhp well my evo which is a lighter car and has awd is approximately 330whp and if I ma high 11's there is no way you will et anywhere near 11's.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by EvoJutsu

Do you know how to read? The car came with a BOV, he did not install it.

Next time read before you hit the reply button.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:38 AM

I'll try to take a pic of his BOV to show you guys.

And as far as my camaro it also has a stall. It's an auto with Yank's SS3800 torque converter which allows me to leave harder off the line and get into my powerband faster. I'll post the vid of my low 12 second run so you can see that it's not a mid 13 second car.

I also have a vid going from 30-115 with all the current mods.

Quick Reply: Hello All