Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Test Drove Evo ix..damn car has torque.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys I appreicate the info. hopefully I will be a true member of these forums.
Is it possible to adjust the height of the clutch so that the brake pedal and the clutch are perfectly aligned.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 30, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

I love my IX, and I too agree the car has a lot more down low power than a lot of people make it out to be. I guess it just depends on the person. Maybe the rush of hitting full boost completely overwhelms people, that when driving normally the EVO can feel asleep. To me I normally drive off boost and the car is just fine for me. Rarely do I push it in traffic, and have no problems merging or even passing, with a slight blip of the throttle.

The clutch feels very nice to me, as good if not even better than my Audi A4. For some reason, when I first bought my A4 I had trouble driving it, but the EVO, no problems at all. My first test drive, I just jumped in and took off, it was as if the car was waiting for me. The tranny can feel a little notchy at times, but not nearly as bad as my 3000GT VR4 I use to own, which by the way had a tremendously heavy clutch and I missed so many shifts in that car it was embarrasing. Not the case with the EVO, very easy to shift and drive.

As far as suspension, most of the time the EVO feels fine, and it doesn't seem like such a bumpy ride, only times I really realize that the EVO feels a lot of imperfections in the road is when I got people sleeping in the car and I'm trying to give them a smooth ride so not to wake them up.

One thing you will like is the space, the EVO really has very good space for a performance car and the seats are very comfortable. I've fit 5 people (including myself) and everybody was very comfortable. My Audi A4 was nice, but three people in the back seat and I would feel sorry for those people. The trunk space is also very nice, I've been able to fit 5 small suitcases in there and a couple of other items, no problem. I mean right now, you probably don't care much about this, but it will come in handy one day.

The EVO is just a very useful car, that offers so much, no 350Z, RX-8, S2000, Mustang GT, or etc. can offer as much as the EVO does for the price. AWD, room to fit 5 people comfortably, very adequate trunk space, some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, and the performance blows all the before mention cars out of the water. Thank God for the EVO.

Last edited by 3000ways; Jul 30, 2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Have you tried the MR? The gearbox is a little bit smoother than the regular 5 speed IMO.

Coming from a 2g dsm with an ACT 2100 clutch, the clutch on an evo doesn't feel very stiff at all. It does feel stiff compared to my RSX Type S tho.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
The clutch pedal is firmer than most, but I only notice that when I drive one of my other cars with a softer clutch pedal. Its still very tolerable. I could easily drive all day in LA traffic with it. The MR gearbox is known for being notchy during daily driving (at least for the first few thousand miles). Its very smooth though when I drive the car hard.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have a problem with the clutch pedal pressure either. I drive in a lot of traffic too. But when I drove my friend's GTI today, I did notice a big difference. The evo clutch does engage high though. You'll get used to it.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:35 PM

I was wondering if anyone could do me the favor and take a picture of the clutch and brake pedal arrangement from a side profile. Again, I would grealty appreciate it. I hope I'm not asking for too much.

Thanks in advance
-John
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Its pretty tough to get a camera down there and get proper perspective from the photo. How about going to the dealer and looking at the clutch and brake pedals? IMHO, the height thing is a non-issue. If they aren't the same height, then find a way to make the pedals the same height.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:15 AM

common guys, do I have to beg for some pictures. .All I want is a side profile shot of the clutch and brake pedal arrangement. Help me out here.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

You don't need pics man. The clutch si slightly higher, but if that's a problem then remove the restrictor pill from the clutch actuator and bam, it cuts the height in half. I further put the clutch lower by changing to a stainless steel clutch line. Now the clutch has maybe 2in of clearance. Damn it feels so good to not have to throw it that far. So much easier to shift in traffic as it is less straining. This is on the stock clutch too. Still need to adjust the pedal though...
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:35 AM

You really thought the clutch was stiff?? I didn't find it to be any stiffer than my S2000. I'd have no problems driving it in traffic. If you're used to a really soft clutch (like an A4. I can't even feel those), it'll take you a little bit to get used to. But once you do, it won't be a problem. I mean, I've seen girls drive these cars with no problems or complaints, so...
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ziggy_juju
They let you test drive one???? My mistu dealer DIDNT even have one on the lot. I guess I have a crap dealer(but is there really ever a good dealer??). And the clutch will be a lil stiff its brand new.
Don't feel bad. I made an appointment with a Subaru dealer before I bought my car last year that was about 20 miles away, and it turns out my "test drive" was sitting on the showroom floor. I got there and all they wanted to do was talk about how great of a car it was and kiss my *** over it. I wasn't happy, to say the least. I ended up driving 20 miles for nothing but to stare at a car and have people tell me I should buy it because it's an awesome car.

So, I hit the local Subaru dealership. They don't wanna let me test drive a car. I tell them, "I'm not buying a $30,000 I haven't driven." They tell me they don't let people take out the STis. I told the sales person, "Look, I'm not some punk kid out for a joyride. I'm a 31 year old adult. Don't sit here and insult my intelligence." The reply I get: "You can drive it around the lot." I get in the car, and immediately pull out on to the highway and mash the gas. My reply was, "Ooops, I guess I made a wrong turn!" I beat the hell out of that car up one side of the street and down the other. I pull back into the lot and tell the sales person, "I think I'll take it! But not this one......"

I don't know how companies manage to sell cars they don't let their potential customers drive. There's a Lamborghini dealer in my area and I asked them if I could take out a Murcielago, just half-jokingly. They were actually going to let me if I had $1000 deposit to give them on it. I was ready to write them $1000 check and then tell them I didn't like the car after I had driven it.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

cool
Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Coming from a honda, anything will feel torquey... even a slap in the face.
signature worthy! well done lad!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:22 AM

I've driven multiple evo 8s and 9s at the dealers. If they dont let you test drive it just walk away (that said, I've never been declined a test drive)
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

stock pedal pressure doesn't bother at all even with all day driving.

Quick Reply: Test Drove Evo ix..damn car has torque.