Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

ebc vs. mbc

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebc vs. mbc

just trying to get some pro's and con's of each...Why do u go with the ebc or why do u go with the mbc? Does one hold boost better than the other? Is one more accurate?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

i dont have one (MBC or EBC) but from what I've read, the EBC is the best bet if you have the money...most of the guys i see on here have MBCs which get the job done but require you to adjust with fluctuations in temps...best part about EBC is you can fine tune most of them ie. gear specific boost etc. Only problem is there aren't tons of people who know how to properly tune EBCs like the Apexi AVCR. Both get the job done though. For MBCs most people go with Forge or Hallman
Old Nov 5, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

From my own car. I had a mbc then switched to the greddy ebc and the boost taper is very very minimal now. I like the settings on the ebc. I keep one on low for stock boost for cold weather and the hi for what I am tuned for. Don't get me wrong theres nothing wrong with a mbc at all they work great and reduce taper better the the stock bc. Foe the most part there both trial and error with setting it up. Alot of the ebc you up the boost by % not entering a desired psi.

Last edited by kreionic; Nov 5, 2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

I use a MBC in my drag DSM and will never use anything else. If I raise the boost on the Evo it will be with a MBC too. EBC are a pain to dial in and cost way too much for what they do. 30+ psi on a $15 MBC for the last several years and no problems at all...
Old Nov 5, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

i always used a hallman MBC worked great!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

ok... lets say i want no boost taper... and i have to choose between greddy spec 2, apexy avcr or hks new evc...
so what should i get?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

The boost taper is really going to depend on your wastegate. Past 23psi on the stock turbo, I have found with my ebc that it will spike to almost anything you want (below 30psi), but will fall right back to around 23psi.

Change the wastegate, however, and you can maintain higher boost levels throughout the rev range. Be warned tho, these turbos won't last long when they are out of their efficiency range.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

MBC ftw... EBC's are hard to use and cost way to much $$$
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

I have a Black AVC-R never used that i will sell you if you want to go with that one. I choose to go with a manuel Boost controller so i can just set it and for get about it.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

ok...so lets say i choose the greddy ebc... how do i set it?
at 22-23 psi ? will it hold to redline?

Last edited by Ducu; Nov 30, 2006 at 05:19 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

There is a setting onthe Greddy Profec B Spec II that can be adjusted to minimize taper....there is also an adjustment to increase spool time also! I had one on my old SRT-4 and I loved it, so easy to use!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:45 AM
Account Disabled

I love ebc but if money is an issue mbc work great too...
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

If your ebc has a failure (electrical short), I heard that the Solenoid can lock fully open and cause over boost. I'm not sure if this is true or not...maybe someone who knows about this can comment.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 02:23 AM
Pocket Mo

I prefer a MBC because the more features and stuff you have to install, the more stuff that can break and cause problems. MBCs are not that hard to dial in but they don't allow more precise boost increases.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Use the stock ECU and BCS to control boost -- stealth, cheap (no real additional cost), and does not need to be adjusted due to weather once set. There is a post in the Ecuflash section on How to Control Boost and I will be adding my own version shortly.

Using the ECU and BCS I can spike to any desired boost (within reason) and control the taper to less than a few psi. Furthermore if you have a MBC or EBC and need to bring your car into the dealership for warranty work -- you will be denied. The ECU change takes 2 minutes and everything else is stealth....

ECU to control boost FTW !

Quick Reply: ebc vs. mbc