Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

ebc vs. mbc

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Use the stock ECU and BCS to control boost -- stealth, cheap (no real additional cost), and does not need to be adjusted due to weather once set. There is a post in the Ecuflash section on How to Control Boost and I will be adding my own version shortly.

Using the ECU and BCS I can spike to any desired boost (within reason) and control the taper to less than a few psi. Furthermore if you have a MBC or EBC and need to bring your car into the dealership for warranty work -- you will be denied. The ECU change takes 2 minutes and everything else is stealth....

ECU to control boost FTW !
+1

This is the route Cobb is going with the Access Port as well. They said that the car does NOT need a boost controller.

Here's some clips....
Correct, we will have mapping for the TBE but we're able to control boost pretty accurately using the factory system. I feel the results are a little more ideal than using a MBC but at the same time we understand the EVO market is very much accustomed to using MBC's and we have a huge battle ahead if we think we're going to change people's perceptions there. Pick your battles, right?

So yes, technically it'll work with the MBC set to the boost levels we recommend with the mapping. Ideally you'll revert back to letting the ECU control boost and find it improves performance and driveability but it won't be a requirement. Only if you want the car to drive better.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

Part 2
just a clip

Understood on the MBC, we'll recommend boost levels but we are able to reliably control boost with the factory solenoid so it'll remain an option (recommendation).

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

Part 3

Originally Posted by JOOTZ
AccessPort with MBC???

Repsonse

We have tuned several EVOs with the factory boost control system and it works very well. We are composing a technical document explaining how the EVO boost control system works (in draft form). I think once we explain how it works, how to set it up, and how the ECU controls boost then hopefully people will be more confident in the system's abilities. From the data I could gather and the hardware I have analyzed it appears as if the system is very capable and it should work well for internal and external wastegates.

Christian. vbmenu_register("postmenu_401458", true);
AccessECU Lead Tuner & Trainer