Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Cobalt SS/SC Guy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Cobalt SS/SC Guy

What's up guys. I'm new here... trying to scope things out. I currently own a 2005 Victory Red Cobalt SS Supercharged. I've done a bit to it and am quite happy with it's performance (Runs about even with a STOCK MR in the 1/4 and will put 5 on one from a 35 roll. Of course, that was a STOCK MR... 1 boost controller later... I'm left in the dust ). However... I am not happy at all with it's reliability. I bought it April 2006... it first went to the shop in Early June 06... and has been there 10 times since . A couple simple things, plenty of minor things, and I am on my second Major issue.

The First major was when the E-Brake failed... and it rolled into a 8ft ditch. Warranty covered it and all was good. But December 14th I get off the interstate and 2nd gear grinds WITH THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY IN ! Hmmm... Mind you, I do not take off fast/hard in first very much at all (Maybe twice... Because it is useless) and I don't powershift. SO I take it in, thinking it is just the Synchronizer. But no... it is the Synchro Blocker Ring... and GM will not Warranty it because they claim I drag the car consistently and shift too hard/fast. Like I said... I don't drag it, and I don't take off fast or hard in 1st gear... so there would be no hard shifts from 1st to 2nd (Which is what they claim). And it is looking like about $2500 to fix . Monday I am going to ask GM to prove that it is my fault... and I am getting a Lemon Law Lawyer, because I qualify... big time.

So, I might possibly Lemon my car. And since I love power and my favorite car is the Evo (Behind the Skyline)... i am looking at Used Evo's and STi's. But from what I hear, the Evo is easier and Cheaper to make more power/speed with . SO I'm just scouting out all the possible mods and costs... and trying to find a used Evo within 300 miles on me for about $18-$20K (Hard to find!)

Anyways, hope to learn some good stuff (I don't know that much about turbo's)... and possibly buy an Evo Soon!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Sup bro? Ive seen you on the cobalt forums before . Welcome!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:43 PM

Welcome that sux all that **** happemed but hey you'll be very happy if you get the Evo, IMO
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
What's up guys. I'm new here... trying to scope things out. I currently own a 2005 Victory Red Cobalt SS Supercharged. I've done a bit to it and am quite happy with it's performance (Runs about even with a STOCK MR in the 1/4 and will put 5 on one from a 35 roll. Of course, that was a STOCK MR... 1 boost controller later... I'm left in the dust ). However... I am not happy at all with it's reliability. I bought it April 2006... it first went to the shop in Early June 06... and has been there 10 times since . A couple simple things, plenty of minor things, and I am on my second Major issue.

The First major was when the E-Brake failed... and it rolled into a 8ft ditch. Warranty covered it and all was good. But December 14th I get off the interstate and 2nd gear grinds WITH THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY IN ! Hmmm... Mind you, I do not take off fast/hard in first very much at all (Maybe twice... Because it is useless) and I don't powershift. SO I take it in, thinking it is just the Synchronizer. But no... it is the Synchro Blocker Ring... and GM will not Warranty it because they claim I drag the car consistently and shift too hard/fast. Like I said... I don't drag it, and I don't take off fast or hard in 1st gear... so there would be no hard shifts from 1st to 2nd (Which is what they claim). And it is looking like about $2500 to fix . Monday I am going to ask GM to prove that it is my fault... and I am getting a Lemon Law Lawyer, because I qualify... big time.

So, I might possibly Lemon my car. And since I love power and my favorite car is the Evo (Behind the Skyline)... i am looking at Used Evo's and STi's. But from what I hear, the Evo is easier and Cheaper to make more power/speed with . SO I'm just scouting out all the possible mods and costs... and trying to find a used Evo within 300 miles on me for about $18-$20K (Hard to find!)

Anyways, hope to learn some good stuff (I don't know that much about turbo's)... and possibly buy an Evo Soon!

Hey! It's my buddy from Findlay! Welcome
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

i traded a 05 ss/sc for my evo, best move i ever made. What suck was the trade in value on that car. They gave me 14k, with 20k on the car, and carmax was only going to give me 11k. i got rid of it for similar reason, down the road its gonig to be a *****. My alternator went out, and they said it was because of the sub in the back. IT COMES WITH IT STOCK. But if you can get out of it do it.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 06EVOIX SE
i traded a 05 ss/sc for my evo, best move i ever made. What suck was the trade in value on that car. They gave me 14k, with 20k on the car, and carmax was only going to give me 11k. i got rid of it for similar reason, down the road its gonig to be a *****. My alternator went out, and they said it was because of the sub in the back. IT COMES WITH IT STOCK. But if you can get out of it do it.
My thoughts exactly. But, if I can lemon it... Ohio law says I should be able to get the full 19,000 back fot it... and since I only owe like 16,700 on my loan now... I should have a nice downpayment... or mod money ! We'll see... all in due time.

Originally Posted by dennyt4
Hey! It's my buddy from Findlay! Welcome
I am?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think about it and where you are coming from...you'll eventually get it
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

My thoughts exactly. But, if I can lemon it... Ohio law says I should be able to get the full 19,000 back fot it... and since I only owe like 16,700 on my loan now... I should have a nice downpayment... or mod money ! We'll see... all in due time.

I am?

but if you need a maf-t i got one. i put down 260whp with it, and a 2.8" pulley
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:10 PM

Hmmm... Someone from Pitt... Not too sure... and I really only know one person with an Evo... I'll do some thinking!

Originally Posted by 06EVOIX SE
but if you need a maf-t i got one. i put down 260whp with it, and a 2.8" pulley
Yeah, I've got the 2.8 now... and am at 260whp as well. Fun car... but right around 260whp... you hit the brickwall of modding. There isn't too much SAFE/proven stuff out there beyond this point. That's what sucks.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm... Someone from Pitt... Not too sure... and I really only know one person with an Evo... I'll do some thinking!

Yeah, I've got the 2.8 now... and am at 260whp as well. Fun car... but right around 260whp... you hit the brickwall of modding. There isn't too much SAFE/proven stuff out there beyond this point. That's what sucks.

Thats exactly what i said, if you don't build that car it won't see over 300whp. Unless you do N20 or that twin charge kit which, i saw only did alittle over 300 from what i saw and heard. Or put that 2.5"on it and have it spin untill it blows
Old Dec 30, 2006, 03:48 PM

Gotcha! You have quite the memory!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 03:59 PM
Admin Alumni

Welcome aboard, Marine.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:25 PM
cMw
Evolving Member

haha whats up dude
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:08 PM

Notta Lotta. I think I made my decision tonight, that I will more than likely Lemon my Cobalt. Just a matter of finding another car.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 09:09 AM

Yessssss.... Found a stock 03 VIII for $20K... Now I just gotta Lemon my Current!

Quick Reply: New Cobalt SS/SC Guy