Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New EVO SE Owner, New To Dsm's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2007, 06:24 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
New EVO SE Owner, New To Dsm's

Hello to all. My name is Andy. Just recently picked up a '06 EVO IX SE in Graphite Gray and man do I love this color! The car is definately a breath of fresh air so to speak since I am coming from the euro world. As in I am finishing up parting out my street/strip (well mostly strip ) Golf VR6 Turbo and then I am euro free lol. I have been prowling around the site for awhile now, gathering info before I made the purchase. So thanks to all for putting together a kick a@# site . This is definately not my first turbo car being I have been racing and building cars for well over a decade. I love the potential of the Evo and am already having to take deep breaths and control my buying urges since I am not used to having such a wide range of parts available for me to work with.

So far not to many mods to list, bought the car with 3200 miles on the clock a few weeks ago. But I did just a order a Buschur 3" TB exhaust, O2 housing, Walbro and installed my World Electronics PBC-1 boost controller and Greddy TT. So I figured I would come on here and share a few pics of the new car and some pics and video of my old stuff that I have built. Thanks guys!

Old Mar 8, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
beautiful car!!! nice choice, welcome to the club!!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 06:37 PM
fid
Evolving Member

The Golf VR6 Turbo

Here are some random stuff of my last project car/videos at the bottom. Short Summary of car: '94 4Door VR6 Golf VR6 Turbo Sleeper/Built 2.9L VR6/TEC3 StandAlone/GT4088 Turbo/G-Force Built Trans/Alot of one of custom parts:

Made 472whp on a stock bottom end and JE drop in pistons for about 10,000 miles then a Rod bolt broke and BOOM lol!

One of 7 stock O2A VW trannies I broke third gear in. I actually broke so many that the actually casted diff housing expanded and I had to re-shim the differential. And you thought it was just you DSM guys lol.

Old Video Before Big Boost and Just A 400++whp Street Car:
http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/showph...500&ppuser=391

Last edited by fid; Mar 8, 2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will enjoy evo thats for sure.

your VR6 is no sleeper by the way, that is one big front mount!

umm. what is DSM by the way?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by space
umm. what is DSM by the way?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

ok, looked it up. im from Australia and this is never mentioned here alright!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

evo is as close as they come, but prolly just a cousin of the DSM(Diamond Star Motors) family.

and i wouldnt call ur VW a sleeper with that titanic FMIC. =)
Old Mar 9, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
evo is as close as they come, but prolly just a cousin of the DSM(Diamond Star Motors) family.
thank you.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 08:42 AM
fid
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter

and i wouldnt call ur VW a sleeper with that titanic FMIC. =)
It was before with its old setup but yeah that and the roll cage didn't help me fly under the radar .
Old Mar 10, 2007, 09:35 AM

dsm = diamond star motors... it was a combination of eagle dodge and mitsubishi... making the stealth eclipse and talon. in no way is an evo in any relation to dsm.... only thing in common is the 4g63. but its sideways in those. + dsm's are picked on and called "daily service and maintenance" they break very easily and commonly. but can be made fast for almost no money
Old Mar 10, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

nice man... i came from the vdub world as well... i bought the evo and never looked back
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love the spot for mounting you boost controller
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jab_phoenix
dsm = diamond star motors... it was a combination of eagle dodge and mitsubishi... making the stealth eclipse and talon. in no way is an evo in any relation to dsm.... only thing in common is the 4g63. but its sideways in those. + dsm's are picked on and called "daily service and maintenance" they break very easily and commonly. but can be made fast for almost no money
Diamond Star MOTORS....

well the Evo and all turbo eclipse's talons, lasers, use the same engine. only different is 6, or 7 bolt flywheel, and i believe auto 1g might have smaller injectors. other than that its diff turbo, but these are all outside parts. THE ENGINE is the same.

No the evo is not a DSM, look under the hood you wont see Diamond star motors sticker.

But if they can say monkeys are our relatives, and birds were dinosuars, i dont see how you cant say a EVO could be considered to some a far relative to a DSM.

to each his own. id say any evo owner that knows anything about cars, or his evo, if you were to call it a DSM, he would know what your talking about.

and about DSM, being not reliable.... THEY have those sayings for FORDS ( found on road daily , fix or repair daily, ****ed up repaired Dodge ). we know fords can last and some dont. you knew what he was talking about when he said DSM too, so next time lets not jump him for it, and maybe remind him that most try to keep the DSM name away from evo's maybe cuz they think the precious EVO is to nice, or people fear the day when the evo reaches 80-100k miles and the crank walks away cuz it is a 7 bolt motor the same that the eclipse's and talons used when there cranks walked away ;P

sorry for to much talk im so tired my mind keeps going... weird huh? DSM / EVO 4 LIFE
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Great you got one before they are all gone.....I got mine in April 06 and its the greatest ride I have ever had.

I drive a Lexus when I need to be "civil" and drive the EVO every other time - nothing satisfies like the EVO!

Hit the boost!

Sick Speed
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Evos are the closest thing to a modern day DSM as they come. Thats why alot of DSM and Evo guys consider them cousin cars. Same engine, AWD, Mitsubishi. Being a multiple DSM owner myself, then next logical progression for me when my funds were availible was to buy a Evo. Ask anyone who got a Evo VIII when they first came out, virtually all the mods were lifted from the R&D from ~15 years of modding DSMs. (in the USDM at least)