Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Pshh sound

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Pshh sound

ok! ok! i know i know, newb newb, yes im a neeeewwb

I love it when cars make that PSHHH sound i think when they switch gears.

the pshh sound like in the fast and furious. You know what im talkin about?

well what makes that PSH sound effect? and what is exactly happening when it occurs?

dont be too harsh on me ;
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

troll
/end thread
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it just means where your driving has a lot of pollen, so the turbo gets allergies. anytime you let off the gas it sneezes. i hear clariton works really good on this sort of problem
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Get an aftermarket BOV.

and prepare to be eaten alive......
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:13 AM

I cant understand why people would post back something non-positive. The guy asks a simple question, either answer the guy or pass it.

The sound varies, intake or BOV, etc......
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kigz
ok! ok! i know i know, newb newb, yes im a neeeewwb

I love it when cars make that PSHHH sound i think when they switch gears.

the pshh sound like in the fast and furious. You know what im talkin about?

well what makes that PSH sound effect? and what is exactly happening when it occurs?

dont be too harsh on me ;
You should get a WRX. I hear alot of VTA BOVs on those cars that sound ridiculously loud.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:36 AM

Yea i was ready for all the negitive comments. its ok, im sure everyone one evom started out somewhere.

so it could be the intake or the bov? when does it acually make the sound? when you shift up?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I was going to say you shouldnt be driving an evo if u asked that question. But I just looked at ur avatar and you are driving an 04 ODDESSY so... no "psst" noise for you
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:56 AM

Yea i was ready for all the negitive comments. its ok, im sure everyone one evom started out somewhere.

so it could be the intake or the bov? when does it acually make the sound? when you shift up?
Normally, when you your turbo sucks in air and releases (BOV). Hope that helps, I'm not quite sure the mechanical factors of it.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:59 AM
Former Vendor

They make a doo hickey thingy that makes that sound for non turbo cars. You can make it go off at any rpm. This jack hole that lives near me drives by my house all the time lettin that thing go off right in front of my house. He drives a VW. Because I have an evo in the driveway probably makes him think i will be impressed.
If the sound is what you want, get the hks or turboxs bov. But be prepared to have your car run crappy.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

putting an intake on will allow the bov to make that "pshhh" noise. However, when you put the intake on, it needs to be tuned for it (like every mod you put on)otherwise you mess with the mass airflow readings. That air that you hear is the excess air that the turbo does not use and needs to vent it somewhere which in this case is back into the intake.

oh, and don't think that you can go drifting with this car, its not the fast and the furious
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
it just means where your driving has a lot of pollen, so the turbo gets allergies. anytime you let off the gas it sneezes. i hear clariton works really good on this sort of problem
LOL LOL
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:07 AM

I dont want me car to run "crappy", I thought having it would run better, i guess not?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I'll explain for you ...

The sound come from pressurized air from the turbo being released. The valve that does this, called a blow off valve or diverter valve, is positioned between the turbo and the throttle body. When you apply throttle, the turbo builds pressure. When you let off the throttle the throttle body closes which quickly stops the flow of the pressurized air. At this point the air tries to find a way to escape just as any other pressurized system acts. The BOV/DV releases this air by opening when the throttle body closes. It is opened using a combination of vacuum from the top and boost pressure from below.

If the BOV/DV wasn't there, the air would try to escape back through the turbo and stall the turbine causing compressor surge. This is bad because exhaust gases are still trying to spin the turbine but the air pressure on the other side is trying to stop it. This puts extreme stress on the turbines and the shaft that connects them.

It is a very useful and important part of the turbo system that just happens to sound really cool.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well what makes that PSH sound effect?
More often than not it is a VTA (vent to atmosphere) BOV (blow off valve) although some of the recirculating BOVs can make the same sound, but are typically not as loud.

and what is exactly happening when it occurs?
As the turbo spools, pressure builds up in the UIP (upper intercooler piping) as it enters into the throttle body. When shifting gears the engine does not need all that built-up pressure and it needs to release it somewhere. So instead of making it go back through the cycle (UIP, intercooler, LIP, wastegate) and possibly causing your turbo to spin backwards (not good for the turbo) it is released at the BOV causing the "Pshh sound."

Quick Reply: Pshh sound