Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

noob boost question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noob boost question

Ok...when you say you are running 20 psi of boost, is that the pressure it settles at..or spikes at? I have my EVO set up and it will spike high but taper down to 20 psi...is that what you guys mean when you say the boost level your running? Im just verifying that i set up my MBC correctly. i wanted it set at 20psi.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

you're referring to the max boost, and that is the peak spike on your dynograph curve. You don't want boost spikes higher than factory specs., unless you have supporting mods. Using a MBC controls your boost taper towards redline meaning consistent power.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:52 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 350zEvo8
Ok...when you say you are running 20 psi of boost, is that the pressure it settles at..or spikes at?
It's the spike in 3rd gear.

I have my EVO set up and it will spike high but taper down to 20 psi...is that what you guys mean when you say the boost level your running?
No, please see above.

Is the car tuned for 20PSI? If not, you may want to look into getting one before playing with boost.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:00 PM

I don't know about its tune. I bought the car modded..it had a missing MBC so I put one on. Its definitely had a reflash at least since the top speed limiter is gone. I've been running the car like this for a month, and im not babying it, its runnng smooth and good. Hmmm...no dynos around here...much less AWD dynos...i need to find out what the ECU is doing with A/F and so forth.
So i guess the ansewer to my original question is....
Ok so then i am running more than stock boost..since i set it to taper off to 20, it spikes much higher and immiediately settles to about 22-23 then slowly tapers to 20 at about 5.5k rpm. Floored in 5th at 3.5k rpm it builds to 23 and holds until the rpm climbs before it starts to taper off. (Just FYI)

I had a cheapo boost guage the car came with, it didn't have a brand. I replaced it with an autometer, and found out that the other boost guage was a bit off. Assuming the autometer is more accurate.

Guess im playing guessing games with until i dyno it, and get info that i need to see what the ECU is doing.
Thanks a bunch for clearing that up.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:44 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Sorry, I don't know what "top speed limiter" you're talking about.

You need to log the ECU and see what's going on before serious damage comes about. As you bought the car modded with missing parts, without really knowing what was done to it, I'd strongly suggest driving conservatively and staying off boost before you can go over its logs.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

every evo has ecu controolled top speed limiter at 155mph, what so hard to understand? the limiter has been removed in his ecu.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:13 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
every evo has ecu controolled top speed limiter at 155mph, what so hard to understand? the limiter has been removed in his ecu.
The ECU doesn't limit the top speed. The capability is there, but speed governor set at 510KPH and Mitsubishi didn't use it. Usually the stationary/rolling rev limits are modified during the course of a tune, and that's a common way to identify a flashed ECU. Regardless, let's not miss the point. Playing with boost, while having little understanding of what's involved, is a dangerous thing.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 11, 2007 at 05:22 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:26 AM

UPDATE: Well yes there is a speed limiter at 155mph on every stock evo, once you nail 155mph it cuts fuel. I don't have it, i also don't hit a rev limiter until 7.7k or so..i dont know it that is normal or not...i ran into a friend of the Previous owner..it was tuned at a shop in north austin for 22psi..and it has all the supporting mods...yippie...now i need to find that shop to find out what numbers it put down....anyone know of an AWD dyno in north austin?!...hmm. Boost at 22 and luvin it.

Last edited by 350zEvo8; Dec 14, 2007 at 10:34 AM.