Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

quick question about o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick question about o2 sensor

I recently switched my cat to a test pipe, but the o2 sensor on the cat is stuck in their.

I tried getting it out but i stripped the sensor and the SES light is bugging me.

So could i use a o2 sensor from Pep Boys or Autozone and would it hook up to the car? Any brands recommended?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mf doom
I recently switched my cat to a test pipe, but the o2 sensor on the cat is stuck in their.

I tried getting it out but i stripped the sensor and the SES light is bugging me.

So could i use a o2 sensor from Pep Boys or Autozone and would it hook up to the car? Any brands recommended?
An O2 sensor from pep boys/autozone/whatever will work as long as you get the one specific for ur model... but be prepared with lots of lube cus they run around $400+.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
400 holy smokes batman!

I don't remember paying more than 100 bucks for mine which was the wire in your own plug type bosch sensor.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:06 AM

veilside is right the cheapest you can find them is like 300 and those are special order so you will be waiting a while. Try and get it off, take it to a shop if you need too and if not find one used on here. ^ buts thats also for the oem sensor and wiring harness. You could go with a generic brand.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Oxygensensors.com
bought mine online and works fine.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor

Here's a dumb question. Has anyone used an 8 o2 sensor in a 9 and vice versa? The part numbers from the dealer are different but I do not know why they wouldn't be the same. I have a sensor from a 9 in my 8 and it seems to be working fine. A guy I know put an 8 sensor in his 9 and no signal.(used sensor) Just curious to see if anyone else has seen this.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:43 AM

I have a Ix and bought an VIII sensor alothough I have not installed it yet all wiring and terminals are the same so I do not see why they aren't interchangeable.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:50 AM

i looked some up and some were in the price range of $300 and some were going for $50

but both were of the same brand (Bosch)

Anybody know the difference?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:19 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mf doom
i looked some up and some were in the price range of $300 and some were going for $50

but both were of the same brand (Bosch)

Anybody know the difference?
Check and make sure it doesn't say universal. Those have to be spliced in and usually the wire colors don't match up. Plus, you really don't want to splice shielded wire. You want to get one that has the plug on the end.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Speed Corps
Here's a dumb question. Has anyone used an 8 o2 sensor in a 9 and vice versa? The part numbers from the dealer are different but I do not know why they wouldn't be the same. I have a sensor from a 9 in my 8 and it seems to be working fine. A guy I know put an 8 sensor in his 9 and no signal.(used sensor) Just curious to see if anyone else has seen this.
I've heard 1 or 2 people say they used IX sensors on their VIII or vice versa and it worked.. though every dealership and some tuner shops I've talk to say that they cannot be mixed because Mitsu had changed the sensors half way through 2005.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rediddy69
veilside is right the cheapest you can find them is like 300 and those are special order so you will be waiting a while. Try and get it off, take it to a shop if you need too and if not find one used on here. ^ buts thats also for the oem sensor and wiring harness. You could go with a generic brand.
If you buy them online and i do mean the kind with the sensor plug included the post cat is a mere $139 and the precat was $89.

There is no reason you should pay more :P
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
If you buy them online and i do mean the kind with the sensor plug included the post cat is a mere $139 and the precat was $89.

There is no reason you should pay more :P
do you have a link
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hytek369
do you have a link
http://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1423022
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just to give a possible answer to the question of price differences, I think a lot of it has to do with supply and demand. I worked in auto parts on and off for nearly ten years. The place I worked at sold Bosch sensors for most of the last five or six years. The prices (for what looked essentially like the same thing) could range from fifty dollars up into the three hundred dollar range, with most being between seventy and a hundred. I think of it like spark plug wires. You could buy wires for a Ford somethingerother that are a mile long and pay something like thirty or forty bucks, or try to find something for a Volkswagen that are six inches long and cost three to four times the amount.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

thanks roadspike.

i assume the 2005 evo will fit on the 2006 evo (will the plug fit)? or were you referring to the universal?

soldering would be cheaper.

Quick Reply: quick question about o2 sensor