Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

evo 9 clutch install?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything is the same on 8 & 9 aside from the acd. When you look at the transfer case from the underneath you will see a banjo on top. There is a 17 mm bolt (long) right behind it. If you don't want to bleed your acd loosen up the bolt till it hits the banjo pull the transfer case away from the tranny and repeat until it comes out
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brokenRS
I dont think its that hard, yet? So far everything has been going smoothy except when i bump into my fluids bucket and it spilled everywhere on the garage floor. I am on step 27, what did you guy use for that step? do i have to go out and make something similar to that?

Are you talking about the shaft on drive side to the tranny? Get a m8 bolt thread it into the shaft buy/rent a slide hammer and it's comes right out
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Use the evomoto guide, be ready to fill the swear jar and have a slap hammer on hand. Also if reusing the oem flywheel have a shop lined up to machine it. Good luck!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Too much work for me. I rather just pay a couple of hundred bucks for it.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:28 AM

i used the evo moto instructions.

Wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. I did it on the floor on my dirt driveway.

advice i have. Be patient and work smart not hard. I took off the acd banjo bolt to get to the top bolt. Bleeding was easy.

Like others said be sure you have a slide hammer available. I picked one up from harbor freight. putting the car high on jackstands helps. So, does havin two jacks and extra eyes for lowering and lifting transmission.

Good luck.

PM me if anyone has any questions
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiousity, I plan on getting rid of the ACD anyways (don't use it at all) and wondered if it would be easier to remove/sell the ACD transfer case and swap in one from an evo 8. I believe it saves some weight as well correct? It may be clutch time for me soon.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 02:06 PM

Just curious, since i need to change my clutch too. Would you do it over again or pay 600 to some shop to do it? I've done tons of Honda's but they are different and maybe i should just pay a shop to do it. LMK
Old Oct 8, 2010, 02:41 AM

Id do it again. In a heartbeat
Old Oct 8, 2010, 03:06 AM

Im with you, Id do it over again in a heartbeat, Once you follow that evo moto guide once it becomes easier the seconed time around. Ill probably be doing it again here soon to.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
Id also do it again myself. If you have a mechanical knack, then its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Just take youre time the first time around, learn a few tricks, drink beer, have fun.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr1mike2001
Im with you, Id do it over again in a heartbeat, Once you follow that evo moto guide once it becomes easier the seconed time around. Ill probably be doing it again here soon to.

Agreed! No question there. Unless the shop has done one before itll probably cost more than 600 and the second time around will be much easier (not to mention all of the bolts that really couldnt be reached with a torque wrench were given the old "Tight enough" and will be easier to get out next time ) 10k mi later and $600-800 still in my pocket I am happy I did it myself.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:45 AM

Best Link ever

Originally Posted by evoix10
here you go: http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...bc53dabc60cd48

It's for an Evo 8 but its pretty much the same. The only difference (and PITA) is that one of the banjo fittings for the ACD is right in the way of one of the bolts holding the t-case to the trans. The service manual says your supposed to do undo the banjo fitting, take out the t-case bolt, and then put the banjo fitting back on and bleed the ACD unit/system....more PITA. Luckily we were able to do it without taking the banjo fitting off. We just used a wrench to loosen the t-case bolt until it hits the banjo fttling, then pulled the t-case away from the trans until the bolt was touching the t-case again. Repeat the process until the bolt come all the way out. (One bolt you can't lose, lol)

Sorry it sounds so confusing but you will understand when you get to that step. I believe the banjo fitting is in front of one of the bolts in step 16.

It also says the top 3 bolts holding the t-case to the trans are hard to get to...they are. We went through the wheel well using many extensions and 2 u-joints lol use a friend to hold the rig up and to keep the socket on the bolt, they come out pretty easy after that.

It took us one and a half days.

Good luck
This was the most helpful link ever. I love pictures!!!!!

Last edited by LuckyEvo9; Feb 17, 2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: forgot some words
Old Aug 18, 2013, 06:44 PM

Exclamation Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone have a special way to get the bolt that's between the tcase and the tranny I cant get a wrench in there except from the top and when I do it wont break no room to move
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 357 Likes on 241 Posts
The clutch in the evo is a day job for most shops to do it right and not break stuff. Thats with a lift,its more if you are going to be on your back in the garage. Also, don't forget about bleeding the ACD pump on the 9. Its worth going over a few times to make sure you don't burn the pump up.

I'd recommend grinding the subframe near the rear of the subframe on the drivers side . Its much easier to do once the trans is out and will really make the next guys job a lot easier.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:27 PM

all the bolts are out and it still wont break lose up top is there any thing to recomend

Quick Reply: evo 9 clutch install?