Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

evo 9 clutch install?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 9 clutch install?

what's going on guys just seeing if anyone has a step by step tutorial on how to install a clutch on a evo ix. Alls I found is how to do it on the 8 and I heard it is dfferent on 9s due to the acd. Or if some has something outt of the handbook for evo 9 that would be awesome. And yes I've searched and came up with nothing but evo8 installs so if some one can do this for me I'd really appreciate it. Pics would be a HUGE help. Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump i could use this as well
Old Oct 3, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The acd is in the transfer case i believe. How ever if you are doing it your self, be prepared, it took me about 24 hours over 4 days to do it. If i have to do it again, it would be probably around 12-16 hours. The worst part is raising the transmission back into place with out having the input shaft knock the little clip ring wavy washer thing off the end of the pressure plate! It took atleast 7 or 8 tries before we got it in w/o busting that clip apart. Its so easy for the input shaft to barely touch it and it pops apart. Oh yeah and the tranny fell of the jack once and my leg caught it. Slow is fast! Take it easy and methodical and you'll do just fine.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:33 PM

Bump
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Ill be doing this in the next week or so..if u want to pm me and ill try to get u back or just make a thread up on a how to step by step install. Im dropping the shep trans out shipping it back to him for a check up then installing a twin disc then putting it all back together then hopefully hitting the track for that 11.40 pass.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
here you go: http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...bc53dabc60cd48

It's for an Evo 8 but its pretty much the same. The only difference (and PITA) is that one of the banjo fittings for the ACD is right in the way of one of the bolts holding the t-case to the trans. The service manual says your supposed to do undo the banjo fitting, take out the t-case bolt, and then put the banjo fitting back on and bleed the ACD unit/system....more PITA. Luckily we were able to do it without taking the banjo fitting off. We just used a wrench to loosen the t-case bolt until it hits the banjo fttling, then pulled the t-case away from the trans until the bolt was touching the t-case again. Repeat the process until the bolt come all the way out. (One bolt you can't lose, lol)

Sorry it sounds so confusing but you will understand when you get to that step. I believe the banjo fitting is in front of one of the bolts in step 16.

It also says the top 3 bolts holding the t-case to the trans are hard to get to...they are. We went through the wheel well using many extensions and 2 u-joints lol use a friend to hold the rig up and to keep the socket on the bolt, they come out pretty easy after that.

It took us one and a half days.

Good luck
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the thread, doin clutch soon.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:29 AM

I know this thread is old, but I figured i should reply to this one rather than start a new one.

I'm in the middle of my clutch install on my ix. Its been going smoothly, i put the clutch on, and now i'm trying to get the tranny back in but I can't do it for the life of me. I lowered the subframe about half an inch, took off the radiator hose, rotated the shift linkage, removed driver's side tranny mount, all of that. It's not that i can't get the splines lined up...i can't even get the tranny close no matter what angle i try. Me and a friend have tried at it for about 6 hours and i feel really stupid
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

The reason you don't see evo 9 clutch guides is it really is nearly exactly the same as the job on an evo 8. The only difference I can even think of is 1 bolt for an ACD line on the t/case and it doesn't even have to really be taken out.

Save the bolt behind the acd hose for last on the tcase. Start turning it to take it out. As you turn it bad the tcase out at the same time. It's annoying but well worth not having to worry about opening the acd system.

I got my tranny back in first try. Just did a clutch on my IX in July. You just need to go very slow. You need a tranny jack with some blocks under the tranny. You also need a means to adjust the tilt on the engine at the same time like a jack under it or a cherry pick engine hoist.

I think I started off with the engine tilted down as far as it would go with the front pulley touching the passenger front inner fender. I squeaked the tranny in through the driver wheel well with an upward tilt on the spline to match the engine tilt. As the came together I had to raise both the engine and trans at the same time to allow them to meet and clear everything.

I did mine without taking down the sub frame.

The rope around the cross member helped a little.

Name:  IMG_9085.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  180.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9086.jpg
Size:  162.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9087.jpg
Size:  119.0 KB
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^ very nice. still rather pay for it to get done. ive done wayyyyy to many clutch/trans installs for my taste
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lude2evo
^^^^ very nice. still rather pay for it to get done. ive done wayyyyy to many clutch/trans installs for my taste
I would only pay an evo specific shop if I was actually going to pay to get it done. I would never bring it to the local chevron or shwab tire. It really is much harder than any other clutch I've done and I wouldn't trust a mechanic who hasn't done one before to do it correctly for a good price. It's too easy to break expensive parts. There is really nobody in my town that I would trust that's a big reason I did it myself. The tranny is tough to get back in. This job will not be done without at least a few dozen swear words flying and some bloody knuckles.

I think it took me close to 24 hours total but I really took my time and didn't rush it a bit. I reviewed each step in the process before proceeding and sipped beer while I contemplated my next move.

A couple of days were only 2hrs here and there. That makes it take way longer too. If you stick to it for longer periods, it tends to go faster.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Dec 30, 2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

This thread has helped me out so much. Thx!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think its that hard, yet? So far everything has been going smoothy except when i bump into my fluids bucket and it spilled everywhere on the garage floor. I am on step 27, what did you guy use for that step? do i have to go out and make something similar to that?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Up for some response
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:56 PM

if ya search there is an install on here i have personally used it 2 times before and its still on here somewhere

Quick Reply: evo 9 clutch install?