Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Very Interested and Looking!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Interested and Looking!

Greetings. =]
I'll start off this thread by saying that I have just recently thought of obtaining an Evo so I'm not gonna lie and say i've done my research as thoroughly as i should have and will most likely be flamed for not doing so... but... i just thought i may as well ask around while in the process of learning about Evo's. I mean... the best way to learn about something your interested in without going through pointless bs is to ask the question yourself right? "get to the point " XP

well anyways... I been looking into buying an 06+ Lancer Evo IX MR, and most the ones i find are across the country... I live in Mobile, Alabama (southern most tip of the state basically) and was trying to locate one in the southeastern region of the US for visiting and test driving purposes of course. Main goal is to find one with low mileage and stock so i could mod myself and hopefully not worry bout the car being in such bad shape from the previous owner.

My goal is to have a DD, since i'm going to college driving this beast, but I plan on modding this car with the basics. Now, my friend told me that a 5 speed would be better off for an Evo, but as an Evo owner told me from first hand experience with both, a 6 speed mr is better as a modded DD that can kick some "scooby" *** =] Now i'm hoping to start off modding with about 2g's right off the bat... just finding the specimen is the problem... xP

One last question... was informed that the internals of the Evo aren't so good for 400+ whp, but i was planning on modding to about 350-380... will engine damage be a problem at that range?

Thanks for any input given. Hopefully i'll be the proud owner of an Evo soon, modded enough and ready to kick some riced out 350z's ***. =]

Last edited by Ninjaaa; Nov 13, 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

speaking as a person with 120K miles EVO experience as a daily. you will be fine. I just turned the page on 60K in my 06 MR. has intake, cams, 80mm TBO, Valve controller, Exedy clutch, still on stock brakes until this weekeend.

Last edited by newimportowner; Nov 13, 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 02:52 PM

haha thanks. hopefully 2g's straight off will be enough to do things right and make my car solid. dont wanna try to overload and blow up my engine in the first few months of driving D= TBE, Drop in, Tune are on my agenda. But like i said... before i get this mod bug... i need to find a specimen i can take pride in xP
Old Nov 13, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ya, keep saying that 3 times fast like every 35 seconds, because once you start modding that biatch, you wont stop.

the car is a great platform for minor or mojor mods. be smart about them. a drop in on an 06 with a K&N will get you like 10 HP.

its a great daily as long as you dont mind the ride comfort, rattles and no cruise control. other wise, go for it. I would buy another 06 new today if i could and start all over.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

I promise, not to mod, I promise not to mod, I promise not to mod...
HEHE
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:04 PM

what do you mean by rattle and comfort? o_O
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ninjaaa
what do you mean by rattle and comfort? o_O
the Evo is a pretty rough ride since of its low profile...well mine anyways..cuz mine is lowered so it hugs the floor like a biatcchhh...aka u feel every bump and nook and cranny. The rattling noise im not too sure what he's speaking of specifically possibly the rattle from the suspension? or the rattle of a clutch (only racing clutches are louder than stock...so if u have a stock clutch that rattles...thats no good lol)

eh..like i said before its a rough ride..but as far as comfort...the feeling of that G-force once that turbo kicks in at 3k rpm is well worth it...there's nothing more comforting to me than that =)
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:01 PM

oh that sucks... buh i never been in a turbo car much less owned one... so lets just say i'm excited =]].
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:25 PM

I happen to drive an 06 evo MR, and as a DD it is an awesome car. For around the 350-380hp range, the bottom end should hold solid, as long as the tune is safe. Driveline is pretty solid for that power range as well. I would deff go for the MR as a DD. I have never looked back on my decision. If you are really looking to go crazy modding (over 400whp) I might suggest the 5-speed SE or RS. But all and all, the MR takes the cake for me. It is very comfy to sit in. A little rough on bumps, but that's what you get when you have a performance suspension. No rattling that I'm aware of (not yet at least ) haha