Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Affording a Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affording a Evo

I tried to view an older thread on here and it didnt come up. But I was wondering how some of you have paid for your evo. Im in the saving stages now! I cant wait to get an evo! Im looking to get an 2006, either MR, or GSR. Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
College education (x2) + working.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

just working hard everyday....i was in high school when i got mine.....12th grade..
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:28 PM

yea. I figured hard work, but im 18 and dont ahve a credit history, and my moms is really crappy because of family stuff. I was just wondering about down payment sizes and monthly payments.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by XGSRWANAB
yea. I figured hard work, but im 18 and dont ahve a credit history, and my moms is really crappy because of family stuff. I was just wondering about down payment sizes and monthly payments.
If you're 18 with no established credit and no parent with a good credit history to co-sign for you, then you really shouldn't be looking at this car at this point in your life. Don't forget about this little thing called car insurance, and it is really expensive for the CT9A Evo in particular. At your age, it's probably going to be like having another car payment.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Without good credit, it won't be easy or cheap if you're planning on financing it. Especially now. Keep in mind that buying it is only part of what you're going to have to pay. Keeping it maintained is a bit more consuming than a "normal" car. Tires wear out sooner, brakes need to be replaced more often, needs premium gas and oil, insurance for an 18 year old is pretty costly, etc. Particularly if you're looking at used.

If you don't have good credit, you can expect to need a large down payment, and APR probably won't be very good. I think you can do whatever you really want to do, but at your stage and with your situation, it might not be the best idea... But man, if you're willing to work hard to make it happen...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:41 PM

yea im honestly just working hard for a downpaymnet right now, but im about to start a new job at honda making a good bit more money. So thats whats making me decide to go evo! But ive already figured it to be more costly to maintain.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

I just ran an insurance quote for fun, and you're looking at well north of $300/month for insurance on an Evo IX if you're 18 with a perfect driving record in California, though even other states that tend to be cheaper still won't be anything close to affordable.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:20 PM

my mom would probably pay most of the insurance. But as far as maintenance goes, that my only concern.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

save up while you establish credit. period. its easy get a credit card and use it every month, pay it off every month without any late payments. do this and save at the same time till your credit goes up and you'll have a huge down payment and the evo you want will cost less by that time so even if you have a big insurance payment atleast you'll have a very small monthly payment on your car so it will even out. pay at least $50-100 extra each month on your car payment. it will go straight to principle and you have a paid off evo by the time your 21-22 and your insurance will drop by then witha clean driving record. the best part will be you'll have great credit with the paid off car and you'll be able to get another evo!!!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

On second thought, don't get an Evo yet. On top of the reasons that are already obstacles in your way (money, credit, insurance), statistically speaking you're going to do something stupid in your car and rack up tickets and maybe even worse. That will get you into trouble that will stay with you while making insurance rates worse overall for everyone else. Let's be honest, you want the car because it's fast. Do what you want with your money, but I don't think this is the best car for you at this point in time. Maybe in a few years with some money saved up, better credit and a few more years of driving experience (hopefully with cars that have a bit more power to them compared to what you're used to), maybe you'll be ready.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

But as far as maintenance goes, that my only concern.
1) Make sure you buy one that still has a warranty where the warranty is not voided. Check with the dealership on that before you buy. Don't put on modifications that will void the warranty. That should help with the "big ticket" maintenance issues.

2) Remember it only runs on premium at approximately 20 miles per gallon. Factor that in. For me that's about $144 a month.

3) The approximate amortized cost of tire replacement is about $100 a month.

4) The approximate amortized cost of oil changes it about $20 a month.

Other than that there really isn't any additional cost I can think of at this moment (unless I forget something). Just don't beat on it or break it and you'll be fine. I have about 60K miles on mine without any major repair costs. But my only mods are intake and exhaust so.... something to think about.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:30 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yea im honestly just working hard for a downpaymnet right now, but im about to start a new job at honda making a good bit more money. So thats whats making me decide to go evo! But ive already figured it to be more costly to maintain.
How about saving for a house, first, so that you have a place of your own, instead of dumping cash into a car? FWIW, I didn't buy a car in the Evo's price range until I was twice your age, and believe me, I could afford one.. I bought a home, started a family, made sure that my children need not wish for a thing, and then bought a relatively expensive car. This isn't to say that my example is God's will, but at 18 you need to look at what's ahead in your life. An education can't hurt.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

work hard for it. im a college student and i work at the same time. to be honest i dont mind paying the 1100-1300 a month that i pay for my car (650 a month car payment and 625 on insurance, and no i pay for around 2 months insurance for 1 month so thats like 300ish a month, just that Geico likes to make u pay 4 months for a 6 month insurance premium so that you get 2 months break..which is awesome
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NYC4g63IX
work hard for it. im a college student and i work at the same time. to be honest i dont mind paying the 1100-1300 a month that i pay for my car (650 a month car payment and 625 on insurance, and no i pay for around 2 months insurance for 1 month so thats like 300ish a month, just that Geico likes to make u pay 4 months for a 6 month insurance premium so that you get 2 months break..which is awesome
holy crap dude you are getting screwed! I have geico also, i'm 24, and i pay only 194 a month... and they don't make me pay in weird installments like that.

back to the topic. honestly, if you are struggling to figure out how to afford it, well, you probably cant. Really think about a purchase like this with the economy the way it is. like FJF says buy a house, get yourself a nice foothold going and then see where that puts you

Quick Reply: Affording a Evo