Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I need advice. EVO still has stock clutch,belts,ect at 80,000 miles. Buy it?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need advice. EVO still has stock clutch,belts,ect at 80,000 miles. Buy it?

I’m thinking of getting this EVO but it still has a stock clutch, belts, ect and has 80,000 miles on it. It’s a 2006 EVO 9 MR that is totally stock and 1 owner. Very clean inside and out. I did a carfax report and the last recorded service was at 20,000 miles. Says he always kept up with the oil changes, and has changed trany/diff fluids. I’m going to test drive it on Tuesday. He wants $17,900 but I think that is a bit much. What do you guys think? I normally couldn’t afford an EVO 9 but this one is closer to my price range. Do you think it’s worth it, or will I end up spending another 5K on service? Should I just try for an EVO 8 with fewer miles? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old May 25, 2009, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

well first off I'm surprised that clutch lasted as long as it did, usually when people drive rough the first to go is the clutch, plus around 60k he should have done a good tune up like timing belt and stuff, idk if he took care of it or not,

but try and see if he had any maintance records that he can show you, might be tough cause I don't keep records like that since I do my own work, best thing to do is just test drive it like you said, and get a good idea of what condition the car is in,

then from there negotiate the best price, with the economy the way it is right now its bargain time lol
Old May 25, 2009, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

That's pretty cheap. 17k for an evo IX MR...

The maintenence isn't that big of a deal if you know how to do it. Otherwise, it will cost you. The 60k service is mainly t-belt, balance shaft belt, water pump and gasket, etc. Probably needs a full fluid change and the clutch will go out soon enough. Still 17k for an evo 9 in good shape is a great deal.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:16 AM

I got it! I now own a white 2006 EVO 9 MR. I had now idea how much fun it is to own/drive an EVO. It goes through gas faster than I expected and servicing it is very expensive, along with insurance, but its all worth it. Have only owned Toyotas in the past but I am now a man. Im glad to be part of the EVO community and thank all of you for the info now and in the future.

--- ALEX

Last edited by WEB187; May 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:22 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats and post pics!
Old May 30, 2009, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats! hope you enjoy it and be safe! btw post pics
Old May 30, 2009, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the support. I gonna buy a new camera tomorrow and will post some pics.
Old May 30, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Just some good advise I would suggest changing all fluids and belts on the car.
Old May 30, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

yea do a real good once over maintance and start looking into an aftermarket clutch
Old May 30, 2009, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
That's pretty cheap. 17k for an evo IX MR...

The maintenence isn't that big of a deal if you know how to do it. Otherwise, it will cost you. The 60k service is mainly t-belt, balance shaft belt, water pump and gasket, etc. Probably needs a full fluid change and the clutch will go out soon enough. Still 17k for an evo 9 in good shape is a great deal.
water pump doesn't need to be replaced until the second timing belt.

congrats on the purchase. first thing you need to do is get that timing belt taken care of. i'd make sure all the fluids are fresh by just doing it myself. it doesn't take long to flush the tranny, diffs, and ACD. the fluids aren't that expensive either (because you get like a gallon of each, plenty to do multiple flushes.) it's a lot cheaper if you can do it yourself because the dealership will want to charge an assload of money for even the smallest things. also look at replacing the spark plugs, engine oil, air filter. normal maintenance stuff.

i just finished with the 120k maintenance stuff on my 06 EVO IX MR. keep'em up and they'll run forever. it's also not weird to see 80k out of a stock clutch. i got 70k out of mine with me autocrossing, launching, racing every chance i got. i actually got less life, 50k miles, out of the Exedy stage 1 i replaced it with. i'm on an ACT HDSS now, so it's all good.
Old May 30, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

you can do a certified-checkup from mitsubishi, that may be a costly option though.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:27 AM

Service records for oil changes & fluid changes are hard to come by because many people do it thereselves. Congrats!! Even tuner shops change fluids for cheaper than factory. Do it every 20k miles or so.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:52 AM

I have my evo serviced(with records) at the dealer, because I can
Old May 30, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Was wondering why Mitsubishi has the timing belt interval at 60K? Is it required prematurely to prevent dumb owners from destroying their cars?
Old May 30, 2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by abdizzle
Was wondering why Mitsubishi has the timing belt interval at 60K? Is it required prematurely to prevent dumb owners from destroying their cars?
high performance car should have their service interval shortened.

Quick Reply: I need advice. EVO still has stock clutch,belts,ect at 80,000 miles. Buy it?