Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

whats really needed for 450hp?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Not really. I used 5000-5500 never saw a 6-7 mph increase.

Those hp calc are never really right either. But that is bhp then, not whp. You are more around 300 whp (dynojet).
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Not really. I used 5000-5500 never saw a 6-7 mph increase.

Those hp calc are never really right either. But that is bhp then, not whp. You are more around 300 whp (dynojet).
well if I'm only making 300hp then 450 is gonna feel real good I might just do the hotside, exhaust manifold porting/coating, 1200cc injectors, and the Buschur 3.5 intercooler. I would hope to hit around my hp goals, maybe 400+hp on pump93?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you should really use a red if you only wanting 450whp. your getting alittle bit more lag with the black as it was really designed for higher boost 35-40 psi. You can get all your parts ported and the bolt ons with your mods you already have of course upgrade intercooler and hit 450whp with the red easy. if you switching to e85 then the deal is done you should use 1000cc or 1200cc injectors for e85 and really double pumper is needed if you want to go higher then i say 470whp in the future. This is on straight 93 as i dont recommend meth but lots of folks use it. best advice is to talk to the guy tuning your evo as that has alot to do with what you lay down.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

meth, a bigger turbo and good tuner
Old Nov 4, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

I don't want a bigger turbo, I wanted the faster spool. That's why I am porting and coating the parts to help with the spool. From what fp told me the black will make the same power as the red at 25psi, it's only when you raise the boost up to 30+ is when you see it out shine the red, with only 300 rpm difference between the two. If I have to install arp headstuds so I can raise the boost higher then I will, but I can't see how I can't see those numbers with lower boost, people on this forum are making 400+ hp on 93 with the red
Old Nov 4, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackgsx01
I don't want a bigger turbo, I wanted the faster spool. That's why I am porting and coating the parts to help with the spool. From what fp told me the black will make the same power as the red at 25psi, it's only when you raise the boost up to 30+ is when you see it out shine the red, with only 300 rpm difference between the two. If I have to install arp headstuds so I can raise the boost higher then I will, but I can't see how I can't see those numbers with lower boost, people on this forum are making 400+ hp on 93 with the red
to be honest if all you care about is spool and 450 then the black is not for you. you should have considered the hta green or bbk full then a 2.3 shortblock is in order and you will have all the fast nasty spool you want. . i would install "undercut" arp headstuds or L19 arp studs if you shooting for higher just to be safe.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
to be honest if all you care about is spool and 450 then the black is not for you. you should have considered the hta green or bbk full then a 2.3 shortblock is in order and you will have all the fast nasty spool you want. . i would install "undercut" arp headstuds or L19 arp studs if you shooting for higher just to be safe.
well I have the black, so I will make it work. A 2.3 build is in the future, but I want to use the engine I got now. Fp said full spool in the black by 3800rpm at 20psi. Hell from what everyone is saying I will just keep piling up the parts until I have all the boltons

So
ported intake/65mm tb
ported/coated exhaust manifold
ported/coated hot side
o2 dump/coated
1200cc injectors
Buschur 3.5 intercooler
arp headstuds
e85@30psi

that should hit my goals.................

Last edited by blackgsx01; Nov 4, 2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 08:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my customers have been seeing 415-450awhp with the Red on 93 octane and most don't have any ported bits, just good cams, fmic, injectors, exhaust, intake filter setup.

the black may make that even easier to obtain...I have several customers with the black on the way and I'll know for sure.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

yea blacks on the way looks like i might give the silver beast a run for its money mellon

To the op what Bov are you using. Looking into APS twin vent you will be happy. if you have 1000cc injectors that will work its what im going to run. Also a tubular manifold aka shearers or full-race or custom made will give you more top end and hold it longer. Just in case of course but with what you just listed you will kill 450 easy no meth needed.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 08:40 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe, who knows, I might get a wild hair and put a stock turbo on so you can keep pace with me
Old Nov 4, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

I have the stock 9 bov, I guess I will add another part to the list. Thanks Mellon for your input, it would be great so see some results from your guys. I plan on taking the car to epic Motorsports. They are a couple of hours from me and seem to have good tuners.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

if you want a good tuner of the evo he just posted. MELLON tuning he will squeeze blood from that turbo and make it preform. The man is flawless with his tunes they are very safe and aggressive and he is one of those tuners that will not stop till you and him are satified with the tune. the aps bov is extremely proven i run it mellon has a 703whp evo he runs it. look into that if you want most of these parts look in the private sales forum there are TONS of parts for sale i actually got two aps bovs 240 bov i got my first one for 100 shipped but it had a spring problem the seller took it back and refunded then 5 months later i got another one for 110 shipped perfect been rocking it ever sense there are ported oem intakes for sale no core around 220-250 shipped now a ported t/b you will have to look around they are not listed often but there is a guy i know selling a br ported one. ported exhaust manifolds 150 always around again you just have to look but i can find you parts if you need some help trust me i can find almost anything for a killer deal. how about you post one pic of the black would like to see what it looks like i will not get mine till next week or so
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:31 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bigger turbo and possibly bigger injectors.

Not sure how is the strength of the 4B11 engine, but back on the IXs.... at that power level, the use of head studs and rod bolts were pretty much a safety addition to ensure you will not blew the head gasket and mess up a rod bearing.

That is for 450 WHP on 93 Oct. I did just exactly that on my IX and a FPRed @ 26 PSI.

Note: If you use meth or E85, the bigger turbo may or may not be necessary. Just my 0.02!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

I will post pics of the turbo once I get home. I don't want to go bigger turbo because this turbo will be more than enough for what I want out of the car.450 should be reasonable on pump gas and 550+ on e85/race gas.

I know I keep reading that people want to see this turbo can do with basic mods, I might just get the intercooler and injectors and see what it will do for people with basic mods
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

you can but remember you will not benifit unless your using 35-40 psi and at that rate a built block is in your future soon. i would build the longblock personally to use this turbo if i was not then i would have kept my new fp red i had but since im this far out might as well. if you want to just give people a general ideal of how it looks on 25-30 psi by alll means go for it so least people will have some general ideal. but i recommend a intercooler upgrade before you tune what injectors are you on now?

Quick Reply: whats really needed for 450hp?