Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

introduction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmart888
Yeah, when you grow up! Just kidding, your point is well taken and I actually agree with you! I would not touch the duckbill spoiler on a 75 Carrera, or for that matter the duckbill on my MegaMonster Miata (not familiar with the Cosworth RS), however, I would not consider either car for a daily driver. To me the VIII, IX, & X MR wing just looks like some teenagers hand me down Honda with a non functional Pep Boys wing stuck on the back to "look racy" sorry. (ducking arrows)

I took a close look at the X MR wing yesterday and any functional down force offered by that wing is dubious at best (ducking more arrows)

Here in Los Angeles I see the occasional sedan with a huge adjustable wing set to a negative angle of attack, it would actually provide LIFT at speed! I want to distance myself from these folk.

There, I feel better now, Paul
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
While I cannot speak on the X, I have driven the same Evo winged and wingless and the same S2000 winged and wingless, both on track and off track. And the APR wing we had on the S2000 (a nice track wing, in short) and the Evo VIII stock wing definitely makes/made a huge difference in both.

I know for a fact that in the same s2000, same set up, same tires, wingless a certain sweeper on Spring Mountain was about 90 mph with the rear tires begging to get loose... Same sweeper comfortably 120 mph with the APR wing.

I know it isn't your track car, but I'm just saying. It can and does make a pretty big difference, but the X wing does seem (purely based on looks, I'm no physicist) a little less functional.
I have tracked the tail happy S2000 sans wing against those S2000's with large racing wings I and concur, but I would feel silly driving on the street with a huge racing wing even if I did feel the occasional urge to take a 120mph sweeper on public roads, but that's just me. No hate directed at those who choose to display functional wings on the street, only a muted chuckle (unless it's a Lambo) I do have a minor in physics and a layman's understanding of aerodynamics yet I fail to see how the stock X wing could redirect enough wind (or provide negative lift if you are fan of Bernoulli) to have any noticeable effect on high speed stability, it's just decoration folks. I will however defer to those with actual track experience with the X of which I have none.
Paul

Last edited by kmart888; Jan 31, 2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by borievoinitialD
Got the point

Paul
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Great stuff. Thank you very much! How about some of the other creature comforts like the rain sensing wipers, heated seats, navigation, etc. Were they adequate?
Rain sensing wipers and heated seats rate a "10" (imo). Seats would be better if they were height adjustable. The steering wheel is too long of a reach for comfort, (this never seemed to bother me in my various Italian cars in the past but now, at my advanced age, it is problematic). Becase I must streach to the wheel I find it more comfortable to steer with one hand whilst shifting (in manual mode of course) with the shift lever rather than keeping both hands on the wheel and using the paddles (that I was so enamored with when I first tested the car) , perhaps a hub spacer? But that would mess up the position of the paddles, oh well, I best leave it alone! Anyway, the paddles (or s-sport mode auto shifting FTM) should work great at the track as I would be constantly busy with no long periods of just wanting to relax and not stretch my arms quite as far to reach the wheel.

Cannot comment on the OEM navigation as I chose not to purchase it and to use the portable TomTom that I'm used to, but I'm having misgivings and may ask the dealer to install it at the next visit, could someone review the OEM Nav for me?

Thanks, Paul

Last edited by kmart888; Feb 1, 2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:40 AM

sorry to change subject, but that miata is one of the MOST badass cars i have come across

Last edited by merced1212; Feb 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kmart888
Rain sensing wipers and heated seats rate a "10" (imo). Seats would be better if they were height adjustable. The steering wheel is too long of a reach for comfort, (this never seemed to bother me in my various Italian cars in the past but now, at my advanced age, it is problematic). Becase I must streach to the wheel I find it more comfortable to steer with one hand whilst shifting (in manual mode of course) with the shift lever rather than keeping both hands on the wheel and using the paddles (that I was so enamored with when I first tested the car) , perhaps a hub spacer? But that would mess up the position of the paddles, oh well, I best leave it alone! Anyway, the paddles (or s-sport mode auto shifting FTM) should work great at the track as I would be constantly busy with no long periods of just wanting to relax and not stretch my arms quite as far to reach the wheel.

Cannot comment on the OEM navigation as I chose not to purchase it and to use the portable TomTom that I'm used to, but I'm having misgivings and may ask the dealer to install it at the next visit, could someone review the OEM Nav for me?

Thanks, Paul
Thanks again Paul. I think the lack of a telescopic wheel has the potential to drive me nucking futs too. Not sure why this basic feature would have been omitted. Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steiner
thanks again paul. I think the lack of a telescopic wheel has the potential to drive me nucking futs too. Not sure why this basic feature would have been omitted. Do you mind if i ask how tall you are?
Sure; 5'9".
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Deleted

Last edited by kmart888; Feb 3, 2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Talking Handsfree BT

I have just tried out the OEM hands free bluetooth with voice recognition today and it WORKS! It works perfectly every time even with the sun roof open at 80mph!! What a cool device. None of previous cars, with aftermaket bluetooth (Alpine, Pioneer), were quiet enough to allow hands free talking much less voice recognition, I'm just not used to such luxury.

Paul
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome! you made a wise decision!