Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

WRX owner soon to be EVO owner

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant wait to sell my scoob and get a evo!!!!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:47 PM

me either!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:24 PM

anyone else have anything they want to say about the evo?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:47 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tecate
anyone else have anything they want to say about the evo?
Look around. It's what we talk about all day.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:57 AM

I am also looking to trade my wrx for an Evo - my warning ? Buying used evos sucks! More often than not, the Evos you find for sale are being sold because the owner is trying to dump their problems off on someone else! VERY bad buyers market.. you have to be much more careful buying an Evo than any other car I've looked at.
Learn about their common problems from the forum and be VERY cautious , you really have to assume the guy is trying to hide a problem from you. .

And when you finally DO find a good, clean Evo with low miles, they sell for pretty high prices.. like 25k for a 5 year old Evo with 40k miles... pretty crazy if you ask me. Guess these things just hold their value really well! Great if you own one, BAD if you want to buy one!

Oh and one more thing - CHECK THE VIN TAGS EVERYWHERE on the car! Make sure they all match and do not look tampered! Yes this happened to me and I didn't notice it till I had the car home. Talk about a stomach drop...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:21 PM

wow sorry to hear about that bad experience, I REALLY appreciate the words of advice.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuzukiDan7
I am also looking to trade my wrx for an Evo - my warning ? Buying used evos sucks! More often than not, the Evos you find for sale are being sold because the owner is trying to dump their problems off on someone else! VERY bad buyers market.. you have to be much more careful buying an Evo than any other car I've looked at.
Learn about their common problems from the forum and be VERY cautious , you really have to assume the guy is trying to hide a problem from you. .

And when you finally DO find a good, clean Evo with low miles, they sell for pretty high prices.. like 25k for a 5 year old Evo with 40k miles... pretty crazy if you ask me. Guess these things just hold their value really well! Great if you own one, BAD if you want to buy one!

Oh and one more thing - CHECK THE VIN TAGS EVERYWHERE on the car! Make sure they all match and do not look tampered! Yes this happened to me and I didn't notice it till I had the car home. Talk about a stomach drop...
You are absolutly right. Alot of people selling their evos dogged the hell out of it and are having failure after failure and get tired of replacing parts so they sell. Trust me. I bought mine a year and half ago and have spent about $7000 replacing parts instead of modding like i wanted.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:19 PM

yikes, that sucks. thanks again for all the warnings guys.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:56 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LouieTheButcher
You are absolutly right. Alot of people selling their evos dogged the hell out of it and are having failure after failure and get tired of replacing parts so they sell. Trust me. I bought mine a year and half ago and have spent about $7000 replacing parts instead of modding like i wanted.
You make an excellent point. We often see folks trying to find an Evo that fits within a given budget constraint. Ultimately, it's a false economy, as the repairs and the headache aren't worth the money saved on the purchase price. A perspective buyer may want to brows the classifieds on this site. At the very least, he can have a look at the seller's old threads/posts and get an idea how the car was used and maintained. Too, learning more about the platform, itself, helps immensely.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by LouieTheButcher
Very good point, and this is why I'm starting to think I can't afford an Evo right now. My WRX is worth about 10k, and I was seeing Evos for sale for 14-17k, this put them in striking range for me. But then I started noticing just what you are saying! If you find one in that price range, its either going to have really high miles, or have problems out the wazoo! So I guess I'll need to save up another year or so to get a clean one like I want..although I'm getting married next year and weddings cost a LOT sooo.. looks like this guy might be waiting 2-3 years for his evo

I would agree you should absoltely expect problems from the cheaper priced evos, which will cost you more than you saved, and stress you out! Save up more and opt for the clean ones with one or 2 owners who took good care of it. And yes it is possible to drive a car hard sometimes but still take care of it, which is different from some people who buy a good clean evo and just mash the thing into the ground because they don't know how to drive.. what a waste..
So try to save up 18-25k depending on the year / mile range you are looking. I'd say 18k for a clean '03 with under 50k miles, and 25k for a 06-08 with under 40k miles. And yeah for some reason an 08 with 40 k miles will be closely priced within a grand or so to an 06 with 40k miles lol.. to me you'd be an idiot to get the 06 but some people seem to think they are a better car, last of the generation etc..
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im looking for an 02-03 Bug Eye either wise i'd consider buying urs, well some good advise u can add and add parts on the evo and still make power w/o a tune but once you get a tune it'll make soo much more power. but GL on finding the right evo for you brO
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:03 AM

I just recently bought an evo and it was a HUGE decision. What I did is payed a good tuner from around my area and asked him to hook up to the ecu and see if anything was tampered with. I know you cannot tell if it was beat on, but at least you can see if any one tried tuning or what not. Most of the time they will take all the mods off the car to sell them, and then cant afford to get the car retuned to stock. hope you find your baby soon, good luck!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:16 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SuzukiDan7
l.. to me you'd be an idiot to get the 06 but some people seem to think they are a better car, last of the generation etc..
You mean the people who actually know Evos?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats on deciding 2 get a evo.

Whats ur budget for a car? also what are your future plans for the car?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
You mean the people who actually know Evos?
Haha yeah I guess so, but I've ridden in a few Evo X's and they were pretty damn nice! Ride was solid and smooth, interior was much nicer than a evo8 and moderately nicer than a 9. Body styling is better on the X if you ask me. Not to mention its years newer, has AYC, and pulls more lateral Gs than an 8 or 9 stock for stock. So, what exactly is better about the older ones if I may be so bold? I hear they are lighter and therefore slightly faster in a dragrace but not by much.

Quick Reply: WRX owner soon to be EVO owner