Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

total cost of ownership?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post total cost of ownership?

i dont know if the title makes any sense but i guess some back story and run down would help. i did check out the "new buyer/before you buy" thread just thought id get a better understanding.

new to this forum but i am familiar with the evo. Actually i must say the Evo IV IS the car of dreams. i bought an evo IX MR back in 06 and just loved it. only problem was i made the mistake of buying a car i had to work 2 jobs to keep. i was 22 so i didnt care. then the economy hit and my jobs went too. needless to say i had to sell the car but i never forgot the happiness i felt when i had it. in the mean time my love for import collectors items lead me to my RX-7.

so now im older, more stable and that evo fire is burning me. every time i see one in on the road it reminds me how much more i want one.

and now i am finally in the market for one but i want to be smart about it. as awesome as the evo X is its not by cup of tea really. so i was looking at some older ones at some dealerships i found one (http://r-motorsports.net/newandusedc...-CA-91740.aspx) and wanted to know what you guys think.

the Mileage: 77,458 and i would assume that the power train manufacture warranty is still on they do offer an extended warranty for the car too.

so i guess my questions would follow as so;

1- if taken care of. how long you think i can expect the engine to last?

2- are engine swaps popular? has anyone on here done any where they reached the life of the engine and rebuilt/swapped it?

3- annually what can i expect to pay for running the car?

4- should i hold off untill i find one with less milage?

Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Powertrain on those are 100K to first owner, 60K to second.

Are you thinking of modding in the future?
What swaps? 2.4 4G64? 2.3 stroker? All depends on you goals.

I bought my car with 64K or something like that.

Cost is hard to determine, depends on if the clutch is good, trans sycro goes, compression is bad, or transfercase has whine.

These cars are reliable if not modded to death
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Powertrain on those are 100K to first owner, 60K to second.

Are you thinking of modding in the future?
What swaps? 2.4 4G64? 2.3 stroker? All depends on you goals.

I bought my car with 64K or something like that.

Cost is hard to determine, depends on if the clutch is good, trans sycro goes, compression is bad, or transfercase has whine.

These cars are reliable if not modded to death
no major goals really, gonna keep it stock. it will be my dd. im gonna garage the rx7 for projecting. i wan the evo as a sport family sedan with a kick.
by swaps, i guess i mean if the engine blows is it hard to get a new one? example, in the rx7 world engines are constantly being swapped within the community forum and such.

what is this 2.3 stroker you speak of?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...000-miles.html

Here is my thread I had from before to give you an idea of a DD.

A 2.3 is usually a 4G63 with a 100mm crank. You can check out buschur,Maperformance,etc for more info.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you buy from them you should expect to pay (cash) about 20% in "fees" on top of the list price. If you drive it respectfully and maintain it, it will be reliable, modded or not. I would expect that the 60k service was not done on it and get it done asap. (if you get it)
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the evo is just like any other car if you maintain it and dont drive like a tool everywhere and launching it every chance you get it will last just like any other car. If you plan to be a racer wth it then naturally parts are going to break be worn down etc. The average evo owner just does all your basic bolt ons. intake exhaust pipping guages turbo upgrade. nothing major around the 5k terriorty and the evo responds well to mods. but if you want more then 420tq safely then you will have to put some serious money in the car in terms of new longblock. a full build is extremely expensive and adds up quickly you will find yourself spending 20k easy so thats the price of the car and 20k. if you dont need that kind of power stick to exterior mods and your basic bolt ons and you will be happy if you want and example of a 4g64 swap(2.4) just check out my massive thread full of info
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:40 AM

thanks for the info,

im not putting anything crazy into it. just want that thing to last. if im gonna spend 20k on a car i plan on keeping it till my kid can drive lol. it will be strictly used as a dd.
only reason i ask about swaps and rebuilds is because naturally an engine is need a rebuild sooner or later and since this car is kinda one of those that are rare i was curious to how a rebuild would be done. like cost and parts and stuff like that because like i said i plan on keeping the car for a long while and 4RETECH 200k daily driver is freaking amazing.
i will have my evo. maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon.

thanks for the info. i guess until make a purchase. ill browse the forum for inspiration.

P.S.

i did have 1 question. i read in the fact thread that the older 03 models dont have MIVEC on them. is this like a dire upgrade? am i gonna miss it?

Last edited by rotary_bunta; Jun 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

MIVEC started with EVO IX's

More info in this thread about how it works

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...ctly-work.html
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:08 PM

^^ thanks for that.

i know that its similar to honda's vtec, was just wondering if there was any significant diff with it. but if just came out with IX then i guess i wont miss it too much.

thanks again.