Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

evo 9 or 9.5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 9 or 9.5

So after looking at the bodies and reviewing on this site ive decieded i want to go with a 2006 evo. 5 speed. Mailnly for the better looking front end, and since the 5 speed seems to last longer.

Now ive found threads that detail what the differences of the 9 and 9.5 are, but nothing that really explains the pros or cons, or which one is better.

To me personally i think I like the 9.5 better for the leather / red stiched seats, but which one is better for moding? anyways heres the car im considering buying what do you guys think? only work done is a new clutch and it seems thats pretty common on these cars as lots of people dont know how to drive them....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
There is no 9.5 .

Search the site for SE, GSR, MR, RS differences
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recommended reading:

Beginners Read Me: New To Your Evo Or Looking For An Evo?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
What you're referring to as the 9.5 is a 2006 IX SE, it was basically Mitsu's alternative to making a 2007 model since the IX couldn't meet the new crash standards.

The SE has a few advantages, one of which being a year newer than the other IX's plus a choice selection of parts off the MR, but still with the 5-speed transmission. The only other thing you're really missing would be the Bilstein shocks. One problem for me though, the SE wasn't available in white so I had to pass and buy a year-old IX
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Get the IX SE (what you referred to as an Evo 9.5) if you can, as it's generally regarded as the best overall package out of all Evos. However, they're no better or worse for modding purposes when compared to an otherwise identical non-SE. If you plan on switching out wheels (or at least don't care for the OEM BBS wheels standard on the SE and MR) or don't mind upgrading to HIDs (since they don't come stock), then it might be worth saving the money and going for a non-SE model.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:16 AM

hey guys, just wanted to let you know, I originally called these evo 9 se's, but picked up the term 9.5 from here becuase i read in some stickies that thats what people on here were refering to the 2006 evo se's.

edit*** its actually in the sticky posted by ramen noodle in the OP of that sticky, but in that thread it just says they have hollow camshafts, but doesent say if thats really a pro or a con.

Last edited by brianfulcher15; Aug 21, 2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianfulcher15
hey guys, just wanted to let you know, I originally called these evo 9 se's, but picked up the term 9.5 from here becuase i read in some stickies that thats what people on here were refering to the 2006 evo se's.

edit*** its actually in the sticky posted by ramen noodle in the OP of that sticky, but in that thread it just says they have hollow camshafts, but doesent say if thats really a pro or a con.
if your serious about modding you'll replace them anyway. Aftermarket cams make better power than OEM, hollow or not. Generally the best thing to look for when purchasing an evo, any evo, is to get the cleanest one you can afford. If your ok with a modded car then look for a clean modded car, if you want a stock one look for a clean stock one. I'd rather have a super clean VIII than a IX that has been beat on. Anything and everything can be replaced if you don't like it.

I bought my IX MR last year with 17k miles on it, super clean, stock, and for a great price. I really wanted a 5spd and now I'm about to swap one in.....all in all its going to cost $600 for the tranny core (I bought a built 5spd from TRE) and ~$400 for the swap parts. So all in all I paid about $1000 plus the hassle of installing it but even if I had bought a 5spd car to begin with I would have had the hassle of swapping it to a built tranny anyway so I'm not going to count that.

Get the color you want and make sure its a clean car, color is the hardest thing to change, red stitching is nice but I wouldn't pay extra for it.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

9.5lol
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by brianfulcher15
I figured you got it from here, but FAR more people refer to it just as the SE (what it's officially called) than they refer to it as the 9.5. Good luck with everything though.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:07 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't all it a 9.5, guys with 9s get upset.

OP: Any IX should meet your needs.