Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Awd

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awd

how does the evo's and ralliart's AWD do in the snow? i live in colorado, and want to make sure it's not a bad idea before i get one of these beasts haha

thanks guys
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this a serious question?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prowakeskater
is this a serious question?
Unfortunately I think it is ... Anyway, to answer the question, YES YES YES!!! The Evo is fabulous in the snow!!! I guess I can't speak for the guys with the 500+ HP monsters but my 8 with basic bolt ons is a blast to drive in the snow. It handles great and it's a ton of fun! Even during our worst snowstorm last winter I was passing people like they were standing still. I honestly feel sorry for the people who never drive their Evo in the snow... They just don't know what they're missing!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:20 PM

I usually see that some people use "Car has never seen snow" as one of their selling points when selling their Evolution. Ive lived in a place where there isnt snow and I was wondering is it a bad thing if your car is driven in the snow? I was thinking that the snow could get under the car, but wont rain also do the same thing?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:42 PM

thank you, yes it is a serious question. and i'd assume the ralliart is just as good? or is there a difference
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Some people don't drive it in the snow because of the salt they use o. The roads so everything rusts. I live in Calgary Canada an hour away from the rocky mountains and we get dumped on I drove my Evo in the snow one with summer tires on it and it still did better than most other cars do with winter tires, so yea I don't think you have to worry about owning one and using it in winter unless you don't mind the rust and risk of someone sliding into you because their car can't perform like ours do.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

use. the. search. bar.

or google. or bing. literally 1000s of pieces on this question. everyone here will tell you.

the awd system is sex. for both cars. but especially in the evo.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chaz17
use. the. search. bar.

or google. or bing. literally 1000s of pieces on this question. everyone here will tell you.

the awd system is sex. for both cars. but especially in the evo.
thank you, i am very aware of the search function, and used it before posting, but i prefer more personalized answers to whatever questions i might have.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CN9Adaiski
I usually see that some people use "Car has never seen snow" as one of their selling points when selling their Evolution. Ive lived in a place where there isnt snow and I was wondering is it a bad thing if your car is driven in the snow? I was thinking that the snow could get under the car, but wont rain also do the same thing?
Snow is probably a little worse than rain because it gets lodged in all sorts of places and then it just sits there until it melts. Also, most places that see snow also see salted roads and the salt definitely speeds up the corrosion process along with temps that fluctuate above and below freezing. That being said, I've only owned FWD cars up until I got the Evo and I dread the thought of ever having to drive another car in the winter that isn't AWD. The body of my car is far from perfect but it's still in pretty good shape considering all that it's been through in the last 8 years. Plus, I don't make a payment on this thing every month so that it can sit in the garage and look pretty. I bought it so that I can drive it and enjoy it!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by EV0L-IX-MR
Some people don't drive it in the snow because of the salt they use o. The roads so everything rusts. I live in Calgary Canada an hour away from the rocky mountains and we get dumped on I drove my Evo in the snow one with summer tires on it and it still did better than most other cars do with winter tires, so yea I don't think you have to worry about owning one and using it in winter unless you don't mind the rust and risk of someone sliding into you because their car can't perform like ours do.
Cool thanks. That makes sense now. Im surrounded by saltwater, so I can see why they would avoid snow.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 09:35 PM

Snow

Evo's do awesome in the snow. Get all-season or winters tires, though. The summer Advans do freeze solid at temps below 20F, so if that's a problem for you, get new tires. I've driven my Evo home in snowstorms up/down mountains when most couldn't make it - the only other sedanish car that does as well is the Subaru Outback and Forester. Check your local regs for checkpoints - here Caltrans considers any tire with the M&S rating a "snow" tire, this is CA only. Where I live, most often now is chain control for all cars, except AWD with ALL SNOW (M&S) tires. Salt not used here at all.

Two cautions - in wetish powder it may freeze/melt and pack your wheel well, then you begin to slide. Chains (cable chains not link ones which you can't use on the Evo becasue of clearance) help a bit, carry a small shovel to clean the wells, when needed. Also, watch for snow berms and low clearance. When using chains, do not set AWC to "snow", leave it on "tarmac".

Check out YouTube - a new Top Gear vid of the Evo racing skiers in the SNOW down Mammoth mountain.

Evo does even better on ice - or packed snow. No slipping. (unless you are going waaay too fast!!)
I've driven my Evo for six winters and never had problems.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:16 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by liquid silver
thank you, i am very aware of the search function, and used it before posting, but i prefer more personalized answers to whatever questions i might have.
Welcome. While the answer he gave you could certainly have been worded better, we do encourage people to use the search function for information that is as general as this. While you may prefer a personalized response, those personalized responses are going to be no more personal than the answers individuals gave to the same questions that were answered in the past. It keeps the forums from being cluttered with the same questions over and over again, so that people can focus on unique concerns that may not have been addressed in the past.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by CN9Adaiski
The snow isn't the problem, it's the salt the city puts down to melt the snow and/or ice on the roads. Even so, this is generally only a big problem when people never wash their car. If you wash your car, including spraying the under body when the temps are above freezing, you're not going to see a huge difference in corrosion. Waxing it before you know snow is coming helps as well.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 03:45 PM

How many mikes should you expect to get out of the ralliart's?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:31 PM

Yeah, Evo's have a great awd system. And handle great on not so great road conditions hence why they are great rally cars.