Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

parents are saying mitsubishi is bad[HELP]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentle01
ive looked at some 240sx's also, but the mileages are way too high. btw 240's look clean as hell lol
That's why you buy an RB, completely rebuild it, and throw it in. Or, you could be like me, and have your gauge cluster stopped at 144k km for the rest of its life. It's always great to know i'm never putting any miles on my car where ever i go.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pssst
I'm not sure if I'm speaking for just myself here. But if these are your reasons as to why you want an evo, I feel you're in for a big surprise... Because none of these are any reasons why a Evo is good. Except the fact they are faster then those listed above. If you are looking to +1 up your friends thats one thing, but certainly not a convincing argument. Also, your parents must be crazy to buy you one for the reasons above..

Also... if the car is sold, you wont be getting it. Unless you buy it from the person who just bought it
then what is a good reason of wanting an evo besides wanting it? and for its speed?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:30 PM

I appreciate you listening to what I said.

For what it's worth, I drive a 1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Supreme every day...As you can tell, I'm not too concerned about "keeping up with the Kardashians." :P

But I have an Evo

Some good reasons to buy an Evo are:
1. Good snow performance for those of us who live in seasonal areas.
2. Performance
3. Looks
4. Cheaper than European car maintenance
5. Fairly easy to work on
6. Relatively inexpensive to gain HP quickly
7. Just f'n cause!

Last edited by evol etg-zj2; Jan 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:37 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Hard watching my friends have good cars such as a genesis 3.8 , 350z, and g35's. i dont want to be left in the dust.
Good lord.. at 16, my 1st car was a Ford Pinto that was older than I was.

Anyway, +1 to Vivid's suggestion. Just get something safe, cheap & reliable for a few years while you learn. Then get a nicer, faster car when you can afford to buy it yourself.. you'll get less **** from others, and you'll respect and appreciate it a whole lot more. All the power to you, if your parents are willing to buy you something nice.. just be careful.

And, +1 to Kim's suggestion for building a car up.. also a good learning experience
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:42 PM

For the record, here is the breakdown of my 4 month Evo ownership cost:

Car: $15,900
Tax and Registration: $1,100ish
New turbo: $300
New manifold: $220
New oil return line eye bolt: $23.21
New gaskets (oil feed line, manifold, turbo): $~50
Brake pads: $90
60k service: $1,600 + tax
Snow tires and wheels: $750
Tune: $250
New spark plugs: $100ish (bought 2 sets cause I kept fouling them during tuning)
Repair cracked valve cover: Free, but am looking for a new one.
Front wheel bearings: $450.27
Front lip: $250 (car didn't have one when I bought it)

Grand total: $21,083.48

Amazing how quickly things add up. And this doesn't include the FMIC, DV, intake, cams, o2 housing, exhaust, AEM UEGO, boost gauge, Exedy twin disk, and new spoiler that came with the car...and I've done all the work except 60k service and wheel bearings. Imagine if I didn't have the knowledge?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you sound a bit mad
Not mad at you.. You're OK.

If you get an evo, just don't be fooled by the illusion of having unlimited grip in all weather conditions because you drive an awd.....it'll get you in trouble.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
then what is a good reason of wanting an evo besides wanting it? and for its speed?
Well, those are 2 valid reasons yes, but trying to impress, and be cooler then your friends just seems snotty to me... I'm not telling you what to do, just trying to help you convince your parents rather then " I want to be faster then John's G35 and bills 350z....

when I was 15/16 I lived in ohio, not far from Buschur racing... the Dealership near my house had the BR330 from what I recall. They also had a BBY Evo 8. That day I saw it I wanted one ever since... I went through 2 VW passats, 1 Audi a4, and a 1996 VW GTI. All of which I had problems, most of which were a pain in the nuts to fix Especially on my crappy job's I had... I bought them all myself. Paid for the repairs and such myself, I learned by breaking things and learning to fix what I broke...(I dont suggest this lol)

Then just 6 months ago, I found a 04 BBY in mint condition and I finally jumped on it... I'm only 20, but I have a steady high paying job, much higher then your average person... so I can afford the insurance, repairs, and car payments for it...

But for a 1st car, no way in hell I could afford this thing! It's certainly like nothing I've ever driven in my life, I love ever second of driving it. Funny though, up until the d ay I got off the plane to pickup my car, I have never driven and evo in my life and I was sold and had a bank check and a loan ready to buy it

Kevin's reasons below are valid ha. He mentioned he wanted a supra... until I let him drive my evo, things changed quickly. Dont let him fool you.
Originally Posted by evol etg-zj2
I appreciate you listening to what I said.

For what it's worth, I drive a 1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Supreme every day...As you can tell, I'm not too concerned about "keeping up with the Kardashians." :P

But I have an Evo

Some good reasons to buy an Evo are:
1. Good snow performance for those of us who live in seasonal areas.
2. Performance
3. Looks
4. Cheaper than European car maintenance
5. Fairly easy to work on
6. Relatively inexpensive to gain HP quickly
7. Just f'n cause!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Since this is your first car I'm guessing you are 16? My first car when i was 16 was a 98 GST... and that car was WAY to much for me for a begginer car... My dad ended up taking it away for a few months and made me drive his beater civic until I got use to driving more. If I would of gotten an evo as a first car, I think I deff would of wrecked it... In other words, DONT GET AN EVO FOR YOUR FIRST CAR!!!

That is way to much of a powerful car for someone that is just starting to drive to own. It will not end good. You also have to think about maintenance and insurance cost! I cant imagine what insurance would be like for you for every 6 months!

Reading this thread reminds me of a young "muslimevofreak" when he was trying to purchase or purchased his EVO as his first car. Just check his old threads, he has deff learned a lot since he crashed his car. Look at his old threads from around 2006 time frame... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...rchid=16935818
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

You're parents are right, Mitsubishi cars are bad. Aside from the Evo, Mitsubishi cars are cheapy crap. Even with the Evo, everything that has nothing to do with performance is ordinary Mitsubishi cheapy crap.

With that said, I love my Evo. Otherwise I would not have kept it for 9 years.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:07 PM

Haha, yeah insurance will be freakin expensive for a teenager, I still don't like how much I'm paying now and my driving record super clean too
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:07 PM

^^Truth in writing...the "creature comfort" design is poor (plastic dash, rattles everywhere, lack of sound insulation, poor stereo if any lol, lack of 'style', etc), but performance and purpose (lightweight, designed for racing) is AMAZING in the Evo. I would never buy ANY other Mitsubishi car.

BTW, my insurance is just over $800/year (at 23 years old). Insurance cost was not a concern for me. At 16, it'll be significantly higher than that.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:09 PM

is the insurance that high? i thought 4-doors had lower insurance.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:11 PM

The rate is based on statistics, Evo get in higher amount of accidents where it a total write off.

Last edited by Kurz; Jan 3, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

theres a huge merge thread about the insurance....
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...per-merge.html

^that. Lots of good info there with relations to it.

And just because it has 4 doors does not make it cheap. like mentioned it is statistics.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...equipment.html

^This has also been a very common problem these days with insurance.

Lots to consider when purchasing a car. Be lucky your parents are even willing to buy you a car over 10k!

My first car I bought from my parents lol. I appreciate things much more when I buy them for myself.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Your parents probably are saying they would rather have you alive.

Quick Reply: parents are saying mitsubishi is bad[HELP]