Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

parents are saying mitsubishi is bad[HELP]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The EVO is a great car. It is not a great car for someone who is learning to drive.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2010 lancer gts and LOVE it!!! at first i hated the idea of owning a foreign car but my dad works for mitsu so i decided to take the cheaper way out and get a great deal on the car i drive now. and as far as parents are concerned tell them it has a five staar crash test and just pretty much read them the brochure it will make them happy leave outthe fact that an evo is fast as fuhh and you will prolly be ok and as far as "mechanics" i drive my car like i stole it and it has held up to every possible beating that i can think to put it through... these cars are sturdy!!!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:23 PM

Vivid racing hit this nail on the head. OP no matter how mature you think you are, it's still probably not the greatest idea to get a performance car at a young age. I did some really stupid stuff that could have gotten me killed in my first car, and it was a 1990 Chevy blazer lol. I literally flipped it in a parking lot trying to drift, which you will try because you are a teenager with a performance car. It never fails.

I'll second vivid racing and say you should get a nice civic si. It would be plenty for you at first and you will have a lesser chance at dying being that it is fwd. Unfortunately you are going to hear this on any forum of any performance car. So for future reference if you want to avoid this don't mention age, parents, and try to avoid stupid questions. It's always best to search first. Remember forum etiquette

Last edited by Dragonbreath; Jan 5, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

^ So because you were an immature driver when a teenager that means he will be? Yeah speak for yourself, k thanks.

Age doesn't matter one bit, in my experiance of living in a college town and a town full of baby boomers I see people in their early to late twenties driving like a-holes and teenagers driver safe. It just depends on the person and their amount of intelligence they have.

I'm going to side with Kurt and say that the Evo is definently a great car, but not a car someone should be learning to drive with.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

everyone who commented on this thread has all made some great points, shocking considering they are all mostly newbs on this forum.

OP whats the outcome with you getting the car ??? did you decide not to or what ?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:40 PM

Grow some nuts and man up. Buy what you want to buy.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:48 PM

I learned how to drive on the Evo 8(when I was 15) and it is my first car.
Im 17 now, I say get it
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
everyone who commented on this thread has all made some great points, shocking considering they are all mostly newbs on this forum.

OP whats the outcome with you getting the car ??? did you decide not to or what ?
i cant get the evo 8 anymore because the day i posted this, the car was sold off craigslist so now... im looking at rsx type s, and civic si's.. any other car recommendations?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

if you really want it, you have money and you're responsible enough then go ahead, buy one.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by EvoTeyn
^ So because you were an immature driver when a teenager that means he will be? Yeah speak for yourself, k thanks.

Age doesn't matter one bit, in my experiance of living in a college town and a town full of baby boomers I see people in their early to late twenties driving like a-holes and teenagers driver safe. It just depends on the person and their amount of intelligence they have.

I'm going to side with Kurt and say that the Evo is definently a great car, but not a car someone should be learning to drive with.
No sir age does matter. Yes there are few exceptions but for the most part younger people lack knowledge and experience. That is directly related to their age seeing as how they haven't been alive long enough to experience what life has to offer. You see I don't have to argue my point, statistics do it for me. There is a reason insurance is outrageous for younger drivers. Like I stated earlier there are exceptions however they are rare.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by vincentle01
i cant get the evo 8 anymore because the day i posted this, the car was sold off craigslist so now... im looking at rsx type s, and civic si's.. any other car recommendations?
You know the Sentra SE-R Spec V isn't a bad car. I had one of those and it was fun as hell. The aftermarket for them is very limited though. You could always look though. It wouldn't hurt.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonbreath
You know the Sentra SE-R Spec V isn't a bad car. I had one of those and it was fun as hell. The aftermarket for them is very limited though. You could always look though. It wouldn't hurt.
This is like the third time I've seen someone suggest this car, WTF?? Thats almost as bad as suggesting a dodge neon.

My 16 y/o brother is looking for a car and I told him this...
Make a checklist
Car or truck?
2 door or 4?
Front wheel drive, rear, or all wheel drive?
Turbo or non-turbo?
Manual or Automatic?
Then put all that together and check out your options. If you can afford it, a new four door civic si is a perfect car. Its safe, room for your friends, cheap to insure, and not bad to look at. Aftermarket parts are everywhere and you could even do a JDM Civic Type R front end conversion and make it sick.
Good luck.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Thanks for at least considering my view points

Stay away from RWD until you've got some experience and maturity under your belt. Seriously dude, pick up a Civic Si and enjoy being able to save your money for a few years. Work hard, go to school, and drive your Civic Si until you're done with college. All the money your friends are blowing on their cars can be spent on either modding your Civic OR saving it, OR using it pay for school/life expenses instead of ending up in debt.

Like I said before, I'm only 22 but I'm already looking back at how much money and time I've wasted over the years because of dumb stuff I did related to cars. In 2010, I paid nearly $10,000 (yes, $10k) in fines to get my license back after doing a ton of stupid stuff over the years. No DUI, just street racing and other dumb stuff. I am walking proof that young kids do not need sports cars. If my parents had bought me an Evo like I almost convinced them to do... I'd probably be dead.

If you want a 4 door, and can afford the maintenance... Look around for someones partially completed VIP project. There's one for sale on one of the big Honda forums right for like $15k and it's DOPE. I will literally bet my next pay check that if you pulled up next to your friends Genesis, Z, or G37 they're all gonna look weak compared to this Lexus. PM me if you're interested.
can you show me the car youre talking about?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020

Implying that because someone is a noob to THIS forum they must be an idiot. Just because someone is new to this forum does not mean they were born yesterday
Originally Posted by vincentle01
Check out a Cobalt SS as well, they're not the nicest cars, but they're fun to drive and the 08-10s are turbocharged. One of the fastest fwd cars from the factory out there.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tpatterson
Implying that because someone is a noob to THIS forum they must be an idiot. Just because someone is new to this forum does not mean they were born yesterday

Check out a Cobalt SS as well, they're not the nicest cars, but they're fun to drive and the 08-10s are turbocharged. One of the fastest fwd cars from the factory out there.
I would agree with this as well. The Cobalt SS is a pretty well performing car as well. The Turbocharged models actually a pretty nice in comparison to an Evo VIII, interior wise.

Quick Reply: parents are saying mitsubishi is bad[HELP]