Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

how did you buy your evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
how did you buy your evo?

ok so i'm getting closer to buying my first evo, I've looked at about 7 so far, when i finish each test drive, I always ask the owner how they want to progress the sale meaning how do they want to get payed.

Some say they want a money tranfer into their bank account then I come and pick up the car. This is high risk on me, if he isnt to be found then I might have lost my money, so I decline this way of buying.
I usually say I will pull a bank cheque out of the bank and they are welcome to come with me at the time. Then they say, well they will bank it and then I can come pick up the car, another high risk on me if I cant pick up the car for some reason etc.
Another time I picked up the bank cheque and on the way to the guys place, he sms me and said he has got a better offer and I was down 25 bucks to cancel the cheque.

So now I've been thinking about the best way to buy, I'm thinking they will want to come to the bank with me...so yeh I will go with them and pull out the bank cheque, then I will take it to where they have the car, get them to write out a receipt and then hand over the cheque, take the receipt with keys and log books. I'm also thinking now I need a mate to come and witness just incase of issues and to drive my other car back.

Here in Aus we also need to sign rego papers at time of sale then hand them into the rego office

So whats your method of buying a car, how do you like to do it? what do you insist on? any good or bad stories?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your buying it on the street, I don't see why you can't buy it cash...no need for a check or money transfer
Old Nov 1, 2014, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bought mine site unseen on ebay and what a roach. but it has zero rust on it and has some nice upgrades none the less beat on. i bank transferred funds to his account as my bank instructed that i had recourse if something went awry. all in all i probably did ok but right now i have the head off of it because whoever did the timing belt cheaped out on the tensioner and the belt slipped when i rotated it backwards during an alternator install. bent all my intake valves. the morale is you cant ever be sure no matter how hard you try.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 09:19 PM

each time I sold my car, I took a deposit and we set a sale date. I always gave a deposit receipt and stipulated that the car must be sold by the date or the deposit is mine. On the sale date we exchanged car for bank check or cash.

I would never do a wire transfer for a car, seems too risky.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 09:36 PM

i bought my evo off a guy who had it financed.. i had to pay the finance company and then wait for finance company to hand the car over to the owner, then it got transferred in to my name.. before i sent the money i got a statutory declaration signed by the seller, me and a witness ( lady at the post office ) and i took the keys.. once the car got signed off by the finance company, we signed the transfer papers and i drove home.
i did crap myself for the days it took for the funds to clear in to the finance company bank account, but i had the statutory declaration and the keys as my back up if anything went wrong. The statutory declaration is a legally binding document, so take one with you. i had the time,date,rego,vin and odometer reading all written down on the stat dec.

Last edited by Ausevo7; Nov 1, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:44 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I drove ~6 miles to the closest Mitsubishi dealer and ordered the car.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

I emailed back and forth a bunch, asked a ton of questions and was satisfied with his answers. (Pretty much bone stock Evo besides exhaust/intake)

Talked to the seller a few times on the phone. Negotiated a price and beforehand, got preapproval for a car loan from my local credit union.

I sent my CU the Evo paperwork and lien information ($$ that the seller owed on the balance of his auto loan) and then they cut me a certified check.

Hopped on a train from Chicago to Michigan and went to his bank, handed over the check, and received the title. Drove it home an hour later.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 08:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I found a vehicle on an auto site and emailed the seller. We went back and forth for a few days and we settled on a set price. I went to the bank and got a bank check, booked my flight, and flew across the country to test drive the car. I liked the evo, we went to his house to finalize the document and I drove home.

I'm glad the person I dealt with did not play games with me. I would be extremely frustrated to travel across country to have to buy another one-way flight home.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i wrote check, picked it up at their house.
best and safest way is meeting at your bank and having the bank write the check. basically cash for the seller.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 05:57 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Nothing special here. Walked into the dealer. Got financed. Left with the car.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind, people do forge certified bank checks. My bank won't release funds till they have verified the check is legit by contacting the issuers bank.
If I sold my car now I would want a deposit to hold the car until a certain date and also make a bill of sale signed by both parties with the conditions. Then when the buyer brings cash or check we take a ride to my bank and make sure everything is good. After that buyer takes the car home.
It is always good to make a bill of sale with all of the pertinent information. A bill of sale done correctly is a legally binding document. It can clarify everything if even the slightest problem arises.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I paid half cash and half Bank money order. I don't think it was smart with the half cash but the i want to show the seller i am serious.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

easiest way is just going through the bank. Go to your bank with them and they will pay him and he has to sign over rights to the car to the bank and you get car and he gets money all in same transaction.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

i bought mine cash money, the guy even delivered it to my house
Old Nov 6, 2014, 05:53 PM

I went to his place first and agreed on the price. Then drove to the bank, got a cheque and met him back at his place. Signed a couple of docs stating that I now own the car and that's it. I'm in Sydney, I got the rego papers and then did everything online.

Quick Reply: how did you buy your evo?